msxo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I've been doing extensive research on the PGCE, at first, I didn't know which route to take. I studied Media Studies and Sociology for Undergrad, and Marketing and Management at Masters degree, so I thought there isnt a specific subject I can teach for that in Secondary so I've decided to do a PGCE in Primary.

I am just wondering what uni's in the UK have the best PGCE? Also, is there alot of maths in the PGCE Primary as I am not really good at Maths, it's my weakest.

The uni's I know that have a PGCE in Primary are: UCL, GOLDSMITH, CAMBRIDGE

Any others that are good? What are your thoughts of these options and the PGCE Primary compared to Secondary?

Kindly let me know!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by msxo)
Hello,

I've been doing extensive research on the PGCE, at first, I didn't know which route to take. I studied Media Studies and Sociology for Undergrad, and Marketing and Management at Masters degree, so I thought there isnt a specific subject I can teach for that in Secondary so I've decided to do a PGCE in Primary.

I am just wondering what uni's in the UK have the best PGCE? Also, is there alot of maths in the PGCE Primary as I am not really good at Maths, it's my weakest.

Any others that are good? What are your thoughts of these options and the PGCE Primary compared to Secondary?

Kindly let me know!
In general, employers aren't really interested in uni prestige when it comes to PGCEs. You can read Ofsted reports for PGCEs to check there are no major problems with the course. Beyond that, I would say that you are best doing a PGCE in the area you want to teach, as this helps you make links with local schools and makes finding a job easier- but this isn't essential.

The UCL IOE PGCE is very highly respected, though- although some teachers are quite critical of the IOE.

As a primary teacher, you will be expected to teach maths- maybe have a look at the national curriculum and see the topics you'd be expected to teach? https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ammes-of-study

You could potentially teach sociology or business at secondary level, if that's something you'd want to explore.

Normally, I'd suggest getting experience at both primary and secondary level if you're unsure, but that's not going to be possible right now.

During the Primary PGCE you'd usually have 2 placements, one in each key stage (1 or 2), staying with the same class throughout placement and teaching some sessions to that class. During the Secondary PGCE, you'd usually have 2 (sometimes 3) placements. You'd always teach a range of classes, usually building up to teaching all sessions for a particular class. You'd get experience across KS3/4 and usually some KS5 experience as well. In both cases you'll have an in school mentor, but may work with other class teachers. You participate in CPD/inset days and you're expected to attend parents evenings etc, and sometimes open days.
msxo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
In general, employers aren't really interested in uni prestige when it comes to PGCEs. You can read Ofsted reports for PGCEs to check there are no major problems with the course. Beyond that, I would say that you are best doing a PGCE in the area you want to teach, as this helps you make links with local schools and makes finding a job easier- but this isn't essential.

The UCL IOE PGCE is very highly respected, though- although some teachers are quite critical of the IOE.

As a primary teacher, you will be expected to teach maths- maybe have a look at the national curriculum and see the topics you'd be expected to teach? https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ammes-of-study

You could potentially teach sociology or business at secondary level, if that's something you'd want to explore.

Normally, I'd suggest getting experience at both primary and secondary level if you're unsure, but that's not going to be possible right now.

During the Primary PGCE you'd usually have 2 placements, one in each key stage (1 or 2), staying with the same class throughout placement and teaching some sessions to that class. During the Secondary PGCE, you'd usually have 2 (sometimes 3) placements. You'd always teach a range of classes, usually building up to teaching all sessions for a particular class. You'd get experience across KS3/4 and usually some KS5 experience as well. In both cases you'll have an in school mentor, but may work with other class teachers. You participate in CPD/inset days and you're expected to attend parents evenings etc, and sometimes open days.
Thank you very much for your reply! VERY useful. I really appreciate it.

Regarding the mathematics involved, is there any specific website for practice questions you suggest for the PGCE Primary?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by msxo)
Thank you very much for your reply! VERY useful. I really appreciate it.

Regarding the mathematics involved, is there any specific website for practice questions you suggest for the PGCE Primary?
I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions- but it might be worth looking at some KS2 stuff on BBC bitesize. This will also give you an idea about the methods currently used in primary teaching.
Tashao4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by msxo)
Hello,

Kindly let me know!
I’m doing my PGCE now and I can’t recommend Worcester University they are so supportive
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads