hanna778
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm going to start sixth form (hopefully) in September. I have picked Business Studies, Computer Science and Media Studies. I did IT, business and computer science at GCSE level which is why I picked these, and I picked media studies at A Level because I wasn't sure what else to pick.

I would appreciate advice on what to study in order to get a head-start on my A-Levels. Also, if anyone has any opinions on these courses, please share
amwalsh_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey, im taking Maths, Computer Science, Politics and EPQ in september. Im currently messing about with pygame, selenium and some other python libraries to keep programming skills up for Comp Sci. Also, (if you have the tools/budget) you could try building and disassembling a few computers. I'm lucky to have a fair few old parts in the garage, so i do occasionally experiment with them. Maths isnt that relevant for you, but i've bought the CGP AS book off Amazon to get ahead on y12 lessons.
I took business at GCSE (Edexcel) and it didn't seem too difficult, so you could probably revise the gcse content relatively easily and perhaps work through some AS tasks in AS books. Didn't take media so not much of a clue there.

(tl;dr just mess about in whatever programming language you'll use for A Level Computing and expand your knowledge in that. Maybe build some PCs if you can (if not binge watch linus tech tips...), the rest id reccomend buying AS revision guides and trying to self study the first few modules)
tinfoilhat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hanna778)
I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm going to start sixth form (hopefully) in September. I have picked Business Studies, Computer Science and Media Studies. I did IT, business and computer science at GCSE level which is why I picked these, and I picked media studies at A Level because I wasn't sure what else to pick.

I would appreciate advice on what to study in order to get a head-start on my A-Levels. Also, if anyone has any opinions on these courses, please share
I would follow amwalsh_'s advice. Just focus on learning the AS content ahead of time, but don't sweat it too much. You are, after all, going to learn the content again anyways. Keep sharpening your programming skills and you will be fine.

If you need any more help/advice, I run a free online tutoring company - just type up 'OnlyPhysics' into Google.
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I do WJEC media studies so feel free to ask me anything
hanna778
Rep:
?
(Original post by josie71202)
I do WJEC media studies so feel free to ask me anything
What kind of things do you learn? I'm not entirely sure which exam board my sixth form will be following, but I know there will be a mix of coursework and exams. Is the work quite full on?
hanna778
Rep:
?
(Original post by amwalsh_)
Hey, im taking Maths, Computer Science, Politics and EPQ in september. Im currently messing about with pygame, selenium and some other python libraries to keep programming skills up for Comp Sci. Also, (if you have the tools/budget) you could try building and disassembling a few computers. I'm lucky to have a fair few old parts in the garage, so i do occasionally experiment with them. Maths isnt that relevant for you, but i've bought the CGP AS book off Amazon to get ahead on y12 lessons.
I took business at GCSE (Edexcel) and it didn't seem too difficult, so you could probably revise the gcse content relatively easily and perhaps work through some AS tasks in AS books. Didn't take media so not much of a clue there.

(tl;dr just mess about in whatever programming language you'll use for A Level Computing and expand your knowledge in that. Maybe build some PCs if you can (if not binge watch linus tech tips...), the rest id reccomend buying AS revision guides and trying to self study the first few modules)
Thank you for your suggestions Unfortunately I don't have any computer parts to experiment with, but I will take a look at a few programming sites and some videos. I think I will be using C# in sixth form, is that the case for you also?

I also took Edexcel Business at GCSE and didn't find it too difficult either, as long as you stay on top of the work. Hopefully A Level will be the same.
Did you take Computer Science at GCSE by any chance? I did, and I'm quite nervous to find out my grade in August!
hanna778
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinfoilhat)
I would follow amwalsh_'s advice. Just focus on learning the AS content ahead of time, but don't sweat it too much. You are, after all, going to learn the content again anyways. Keep sharpening your programming skills and you will be fine.

If you need any more help/advice, I run a free online tutoring company - just type up 'OnlyPhysics' into Google.
Thank you! I will take a look at your site
amwalsh_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you for your suggestions Unfortunately I don't have any computer parts to experiment with, but I will take a look at a few programming sites and some videos. I think I will be using C# in sixth form, is that the case for you also?

I also took Edexcel Business at GCSE and didn't find it too difficult either, as long as you stay on top of the work. Hopefully A Level will be the same.
Did you take Computer Science at GCSE by any chance? I did, and I'm quite nervous to find out my grade in August!
Yeah fair enough if you don't have any gear. might interest you to watch Linus Tech Tips on YouTube, Could be interesting for the hardware aspect of CS. Im taking AQA for both GCSE and A Level CS. I expect you're prob the same. I did Python as my language for GCSE, but I'm going to a different sixth where I'll do VB .NET for my a level coursework. Might be worth thinking about what you want to do for Coursework and giving it a go now. I'm predicted an 8 at GCSE so if you want to talk about CS, feel free to PM me.
yeah, I think everyone has one or two grades they're scared for. for me it's chemistry, so I'm glad I'm not taking it at A, and we can always retake in november.
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What kind of things do you learn? I'm not entirely sure which exam board my sixth form will be following, but I know there will be a mix of coursework and exams. Is the work quite full on?
we look at various media products and make one. It's busy but if you study you'll be great
hanna778
Rep:
?
(Original post by amwalsh_)
Yeah fair enough if you don't have any gear. might interest you to watch Linus Tech Tips on YouTube, Could be interesting for the hardware aspect of CS. Im taking AQA for both GCSE and A Level CS. I expect you're prob the same. I did Python as my language for GCSE, but I'm going to a different sixth where I'll do VB .NET for my a level coursework. Might be worth thinking about what you want to do for Coursework and giving it a go now. I'm predicted an 8 at GCSE so if you want to talk about CS, feel free to PM me.
yeah, I think everyone has one or two grades they're scared for. for me it's chemistry, so I'm glad I'm not taking it at A, and we can always retake in november.
Thanks, I will take look at their YouTube. I'm taking OCR for GCSE but not sure what the exam board is for A Levels. I also did python but I've heard that I'll be studying C# for A-Levels (my college hasn't specified it). I thought that the Computer Science coursework was the NEA Project, like GCSE? So not too sure how to practise that.
I was predicted an 8 also, and took two papers in my mocks and got a 7 and an 8 on those. Still anxious though! I think I would be content with at least 5's in everything, considering the circumstances.

One more question, are you planning on retaking any papers in November? I'm not too sure whether people are deciding to retake and revise now, or if they are making that decision after results day. I suppose it depends on their personal judgement regarding how they've performed throughout the year on mocks etc.
hanna778
Rep:
?
(Original post by josie71202)
we look at various media products and make one. It's busy but if you study you'll be great
Thanks for your reply. I picked Computer Science, Business Studies and Media because I think CS and business will be quite full on. I was going to pick economics but opted for media studies ( because then I would have barely coursework in my subjects). It sounds quite like Information Technology which I did at GCSE, and we did things like analysing media products and then making our own based on what we learnt. Hopefully it won't be too much, as it is mostly coursework and only part exam at my college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed