Mahak03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Is anyone planning on taking Persian a level next year? If anyone has taken te exam, can you please give some tips on how the a-level works and how much Persian I should know. Do I need to know anyone high frequency words or is it similar to the GCSE?

Many thanks

may karam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Mahak03)
Is anyone planning on taking Persian a level next year? If anyone has taken te exam, can you please give some tips on how the a-level works and how much Persian I should know. Do I need to know anyone high frequency words or is it similar to the GCSE?

Many thanks
I did Persian a level around two years ago and it was similar to GCSEs.
The only difference I would say is that there are more essays and you have to write a greater amount of words. Also, the amount of time you speak will be greater.
Make sure to watch a lot of Iranian movies, that helped a lot for listening because sometimes they try to trick you out, just like any other exam.
However, if you speak fluent Farsi at home then honestly I don't think you will find it that hard. - just make sure to practice during the weekends and you'll be fine.
Mahak03
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thank you so much for your helpful advice
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mahak03)

Many thanks

It is quite a step up from the GCSE, even for candidates with community language fluency. Take a look at the A-level specification --- https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...cification.pdf.

This sets out precisely how you will be assessed, as well as the topics and grammar you need to cover. Do you have a tutor who can help you prepare? Remember, you will also need to study either 2 books, or 1 book and 1 film.

This is the list from the Edexcel specification:
Literary texts
• عادت میکنیم، زویا پیرزاد، 2004 novel
• خانوادهی نیک اختر، ایرج پزشکزاد، 2001 play
• کارت پُ ستال، روح انگیز شریفیان، 2008 novel
Films
• جدایی سیمین از نادر، اصغر فرھادی، 2011
• آفساید، جعفر پناھی، 2006
• 2009 سوپراستار، تھمینھ میلانی،

موفق باشی
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Persian used to be offered by OCR but, with the A level reforms, they decided not to offer A level languages (not even French) and Pearson Edexcel took Persian on. If you took GCSE Persian with OCR, be prepared for some changes in approach with Edexcel.

A link to the spec has already been posted, but there may be other useful info on Edexcel's other pages
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...sian-2018.html
Mahak03
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thank you so much for this amazing advice!!! This has been extremely helpful.

روز خوبی داشت باشی
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (532)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (646)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (316)
20.18%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.6%

Watched Threads