Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am from Canada and I applied to Imperial CS(undergrad) after a friend told me its a great university. As UK people what is your opinion on Imperial CS? I couldn't apply to Oxbridge since it was too late. Do you think I will miss a lot because of that? How does Imperial CS compare to Oxbridge CS? How easier/harder it is to get into Imperial? Thanks.
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
imperial does undoubtedly have more oxbridge rejects than oxbridge has imperial rejects so it's a rung down on the ladder compared to that

but it's easily in the uk's second tier of universities after oxbridge with the level of applicant competition, teaching quality and graduate prospects to go along with

my friend studies cs at imperial. i asked him why he didn't apply to cambridge and he said the workload would probably be too much even though he is now working extremely hard to keep up as it is. imperial also faces a lot of student-welfare related criticism but it's a great university nonetheless
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am from Canada and I applied to Imperial CS(undergrad) after a friend told me its a great university. As UK people what is your opinion on Imperial CS? I couldn't apply to Oxbridge since it was too late. Do you think I will miss a lot because of that? How does Imperial CS compare to Oxbridge CS? How easier/harder it is to get into Imperial? Thanks.
Imperial is basically equal to Oxford for CS in reputation terms but you should be aware that you will be sacrifice a 'fun' university experience by going to Imperial, it will be worth it for the prospects I suppose but just be aware you will be there for strictly academic reasons
Anonymous #1
Is It getting closer to the Oxbridge level for CS? Thanks for answering.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Imperial is not comparable to either Oxford or Cambridge for CS, no. It's good, but not spectacular. It's a Jaguar to Oxbridge's Aston Martin, if you will.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
No but definitely 3rd in line for STEM Subjects . With application ratios like 16:1 for Compsci, 11:1 for Maths. They are definitely something that everyone wants.
I agree with A Rolling Stone, but you should know that Imperial is definitely academically better than it’s more “fun” counterparts. No wonder all the Chinese want to go there.
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Imperial is definitely academically better than it’s more “fun” counterparts. No wonder all the Chinese want to go there.
mild racial stereotypical generalisation fitted in unnecessarily ✔️
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Since you were unable to apply to Oxford or Cambridge anyway, does it really matter? It's almost certainly going to be the "best ranking" out of every non-Oxbridge university you could have applied to after the Oct 15th deadline but before the Jan 15th deadline...

Incidentally I would note getting a CS degree from Imperial (or Oxford or Cambridge) is not going to get you that far in the computing sector job-wise if you only get the degree and don't have any relevant work experience. I know someone with an Oxford CS degree that ended up in "just" a sysadmin role in a mid sized national company, largely because he didn't get any other work experience and pretty much just went to uni and did exams for 4 years.

Spending time thinking "what if" when you weren't in a position to pursue the "if" option in the first place is not productive, nor is prioritising "prestige" over anything that recruiters will actually be looking for when you graduate.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Since you were unable to apply to Oxford or Cambridge anyway, does it really matter? It's almost certainly going to be the "best ranking" out of every non-Oxbridge university you could have applied to after the Oct 15th deadline but before the Jan 15th deadline...

Incidentally I would note getting a CS degree from Imperial (or Oxford or Cambridge) is not going to get you that far in the computing sector job-wise if you only get the degree and don't have any relevant work experience. I know someone with an Oxford CS degree that ended up in "just" a sysadmin role in a mid sized national company, largely because he didn't get any other work experience and pretty much just went to uni and did exams for 4 years.

Spending time thinking "what if" when you weren't in a position to pursue the "if" option in the first place is not productive, nor is prioritising "prestige" over anything that recruiters will actually be looking for when you graduate.
Thanks for the response. I get your point. I was just curious how it compares to Oxbridge since I wanted to see what I might have missed. I realize it depends on the person, not the university but I also believe universities influence your chances somewhat.
harper_
Badges: 10
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the response. I get your point. I was just curious how it compares to Oxbridge since I wanted to see what I might have missed. I realize it depends on the person, not the university but I also believe universities influence your chances somewhat.
It's a really good university, just after Oxbridge in general rankings. Who knows how their CS courses actually compare, some subject specific rankings rate Imperial just below or just above Cam/Ox - maybe that says something in itself.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
mild racial stereotypical generalisation fitted in unnecessarily ✔️
Im talking about international applicants who come to seek for the best, because they can't get into their domestic top universities. It's not unnecessary, all uni rankings consider international applicants as part of their rating system because it shows reputation outside of the country its in.
Plus I'm asian as well and I don't take offence because its true, we do go out to seek the best internationally, so a lot of people I know do see Imperial as a giant in Computer Science.
Anonymous #1
Im talking about international applicants who come to seek for the best, because they can't get into their domestic top universities. It's not unnecessary, all uni rankings consider international applicants as part of their rating system because it shows reputation outside of the country its in.
Plus I'm asian as well and I don't take offence because its true, we do go out to seek the best internationally, so a lot of people I know do see Imperial as a giant in Computer Science.
"Im talking about international applicants who come to seek for the best, because they can't get into their domestic top universities.". Are there lots of people like that? This might change my view about uni. I thought people went to Imperial CS because it is globally one of the best. Are u going to Imperial CS as well? What university you couldn't get in?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
"Im talking about international applicants who come to seek for the best, because they can't get into their domestic top universities.". Are there lots of people like that? This might change my view about uni. I thought people went to Imperial CS because it is globally one of the best. Are u going to Imperial CS as well? What university you couldn't get in?
So ok ill answer ur questions one by one:
1. In Asia, countries such as Singapore, India , China, we all have our own universities which are very hard to get into due to so many applicants and harder entrance tests (For example NUS, IIT/AIIMS, and Peking and Tshingua for each country respectively). As a result we perceive that they are the best choice for us domestically, and it is better to stay in our country and work for our country. Hence although US universities and UK universities are higher ranked, domestically they are seen as 2nd options. You can see how top applicant to these domestic unis get rejected but are accepted by MIT, Harvard etc and imperial is one of them.
2. Imperial is still one of the best internationally, but domestically in asian countries the entrance to local unis (as stated above) are much harder. I am Indian and IIT's entrance is 0.001% success rate and you can search up their entrance exam and see how difficult they are (there is a lot of preparation for them etc. so it is kinda easier for kids there and they learn the syllabus much earlier in their life so I see that but im talking about the comparison internationally for example against STEP or CTMUA or ENGAA or NSAA or PAT), The same applies to the Chinese and Singapore universities. You can ask a lot of Chinese/indian (i.e. foreign students, not those living in the uk for their whole life) students at ImperialCL why they didn't go to their local uni, and they'd say its because they couldn't get into their local uni.
3. No I am not at uni yet, I am going to apply next yr (im in yr 12). I will apply to Oxbridge and Imperial next yr. I am pretty confident if I work hard enough in the entrance exam, I will guarantee myself a spot in Imperial. Oxbridge is a different game however.

I am not saying ik everything, but ik from personal experience as ik a lot of foreign students and why they study at London unis. I am also aware of competition in countries for their respective top unis as well because I used to live there for half of my small life. At the end of the day, globally Imperial is one the best and that's why people choose to go there.
Anonymous #1
1. In Asia, countries such as Singapore, India , China, we all have our own universities which are very hard to get into due to so many applicants and harder entrance tests (For example NUS, IIT/AIIMS, and Peking and Tshingua for each country respectively). As a result we perceive that they are the best choice for us domestically, and it is better to stay in our country and work for our country. Hence although US universities and UK universities are higher ranked, domestically they are seen as 2nd options. You can see how top applicant to these domestic unis get rejected but are accepted by MIT, Harvard etc and imperial is one of them.
2. Imperial is still one of the best internationally, but domestically in asian countries the entrance to local unis (as stated above) are much harder. I am Indian and IIT's entrance is 0.001% success rate and you can search up their entrance exam and see how difficult they are (there is a lot of preparation for them etc. so it is kinda easier for kids there and they learn the syllabus much earlier in their life so I see that but im talking about the comparison internationally for example against STEP or CTMUA or ENGAA or NSAA or PAT), The same applies to the Chinese and Singapore universities. You can ask a lot of Chinese/indian (i.e. foreign students, not those living in the uk for their whole life) students at ImperialCL why they didn't go to their local uni, and they'd say its because they couldn't get into their local uni.
3. No I am not at uni yet, I am going to apply next yr (im in yr 12). I will apply to Oxbridge and Imperial next yr. I am pretty confident if I work hard enough in the entrance exam, I will guarantee myself a spot in Imperial. Oxbridge is a different game however.

I am not saying ik everything, but ik from personal experience as ik a lot of foreign students and why they study at London unis. I am also aware of competition in countries for their respective top unis as well because I used to live there for half of my small life. At the end of the day, globally Imperial is one the best and that's why people choose to go there.
I see your point. Yeah case might be different for Asia, but I don't think what you said apply to European or NA students coming over. Also Isn't there people who get in to IIT/NUS and still go to Imperial? I am pretty sure most people would prefer Imperial for a better career. I am not saying the other unis are bad but I am pretty sure there are some people who just choose Imperial over IIT/NUS/Tshingua.
Anonymous #1

Also if you are from India I think you still might need to write the JEE exam for Imperial. That's what it says on the website.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I see your point. Yeah case might be different for Asia, but I don't think what you said apply to European or NA students coming over. Also Isn't there people who get in to IIT/NUS and still go to Imperial? I am pretty sure most people would prefer Imperial for a better career. I am not saying the other unis are bad but I am pretty sure there are some people who just choose Imperial over IIT/NUS/Tshingua.
Thanks for seeing my point, hopefully I didn't seem rude, I just was giving a cumulative perspective of people.
1. Yes it doesn't apply to all EU students however it has been said to be very hard to get into French and Swiss and German unis. so they may also see it is as that way.
2. No because its very expensive, so often most people at Imperial would have billionaire parents hence why they can afford to live in South Kensington and eat from Pret everyday whereas the normal Briton prefers other unis based on the fact they are cheaper, which is ridiculous in my opinion because a good education is a great investment into ur future and so u earn more etc..
3. At undergraduate level id say all top unis are the same, but id even go further to say those asian unis I talked about teach more because kids know more from a younger age. whereas in US u can go through the first 2 years with A-level knowledge, and people at this Indian and Chinese universities go through whole Masters at MIT and likewise without doing any work because US undergrad ( Masters and below ) are very easy. At UK unis its a bit harder but still are a year behind Chinese and Indian and Singapore students id say. Personally, to work in tech uni is important but pretty much undergrad at all top unis is good. Obviously do higher if necessary in US or UK where there are more resources etc. At id say more jobs where ur knowledge isn't directly applied like managerial positions or finance etc, (finance I mean jobs in banks with no extensive prior knowledge just basic level econ and maths such as ib where u learn more on the job and intern etc), for these positions uni prestige matters as it shows ur a good student, so domestically if u go to Tshingua/NUS u already have that prestige and u make ur family proud because its like a benchmark in ur country.,

I hope u understand that and feel free to ask me anything that didn't make any sense.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Also if you are from India I think you still might need to write the JEE exam for Imperial. That's what it says on the website.
Yes but its not like u have to be in the top 20 or something , I think they take like anywhere from top 1000 and that's for scholarship, if ur fee paying I think they are more lenient im not sure and I think my point was made across so I didn't need to add it in. But thanks for ur input, I guess.
Anonymous #1
Yes but its not like u have to be in the top 20 or something , I think they take like anywhere from top 1000 and that's for scholarship, if ur fee paying I think they are more lenient im not sure and I think my point was made across so I didn't need to add it in. But thanks for ur input, I guess.
Yeah, Thanks for the information. I am trying to gather as much info as I can since I don't want to invest in a university that won't give me back more. I sadly don't have rich parents so I will only go to Imperial computing if I believe it is worth it(I earned a place for top 2 unis in Canada anyways).
KSedaine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, Thanks for the information. I am trying to gather as much info as I can since I don't want to invest in a university that won't give me back more. I sadly don't have rich parents so I will only go to Imperial computing if I believe it is worth it(I earned a place for top 2 unis in Canada anyways).
Doesn't matter where you go. Really it doesn't. Your degree + internship get you in the door. I'd say work experience is 60% of your brand.
DeMaster
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'm confused by this description. How did this result in him getting stuck at that job? Presumably that was his first job because he didn't do internships/work experience, but I'd have thought people who started with no experience would easily catch up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (247)
39.39%
Take autumn exams (186)
29.67%
Look for a job (21)
3.35%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.99%
Take a year out (110)
17.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
6.06%

Watched Threads