Does anyone have a trick to find the number of straight isomer

Watch
Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
It took me some time to find the number of straight chain isomer so I was wondering if anyone knew a trick to find it
Attached files
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Instead of drawing them all out, I usually just draw out the C’s. Then I imagine it by working onwards and out if that makes sense. For example, you have the c-c-c-c. Then, working inwards, there’s the possibility of 2 f’s on c1, c2, c3, then outwards, the possibility of 1 f on either outer carbon, and one f on either inner carbon. Then the final one is an f on c1 and c3. That’s the trick I usually use. I think you’ll find that with supposed 1 marker questions in chemistry, there’s actually a lot of working out that goes into it
Last edited by Anonymous17!; 10 months ago
Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
Instead of drawing them all out, I usually just draw out the C’s. Then I imagine it by working onwards and out if that makes sense. For example, you have the c-c-c-c. Then, working inwards, there’s the possibility of 2 f’s on c1, c2, c3, then outwards, the possibility of 1 f on either outer carbon, and one f on either inner carbon. Then the final one is an f on c1 and c3. That’s the trick I usually use. I think you’ll find that with supposed 1 marker questions in chemistry, there’s actually a lot of working out that goes into it
That’s a good trick, thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (37)
21.76%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (83)
48.82%
I'm unsure (50)
29.41%

Watched Threads