visuals
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i'm preparing for my a level english literature coursework and need to choose a second text (not a fan of poems) that is pre-1900 to compare to fight club by Chuck Palahniuk, however i am struggling to find a book that is related to the themes i want to do.

the critical theory i've picked is marxism and the main themes i have identified in fight club are struggle for identity, masculinity, rebellion, violence, consumerism/anti-consumerism etc.

also, i am doing AQA english lit A and cannot use any books which already appear on the gcse/alevel specification!
Last edited by visuals; 1 year ago
Sameera2020
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in year 11 (don't let this put u off, I'm a passionate writer) and I'd say "The Sign of Four" would be a decent one to compare. It's studied at GCSE but it covers themes u mentioned like struggle for identity (seen by the Baker Street Irregulars), masculinity shown by Sherlock and rebellion/corruption. There's loads of other themes to fish out too.
Hope this helps
visuals
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Sameera2020)
I'm in year 11 (don't let this put u off, I'm a passionate writer) and I'd say "The Sign of Four" would be a decent one to compare. It's studied at GCSE but it covers themes u mentioned like struggle for identity (seen by the Baker Street Irregulars), masculinity shown by Sherlock and rebellion/corruption. There's loads of other themes to fish out too.
Hope this helps
thankyou, but the exam board says that texts which are studied at gcse or a level aren’t allowed to be used otherwise we will get discredited for it
Sameera2020
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by visuals)
thankyou, but the exam board says that texts which are studied at gcse or a level aren’t allowed to be used otherwise we will get discredited for it
Ohh. I thought it was just books studies at a levels which weren't allowed to be used.
Last edited by Sameera2020; 1 year ago
Wilf G
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by visuals)
i'm preparing for my a level english literature coursework and need to choose a second text (not a fan of poems) that is pre-1900 to compare to fight club by Chuck Palahniuk, however i am struggling to find a book that is related to the themes i want to do.

the critical theory i've picked is marxism and the main themes i have identified in fight club are struggle for identity, masculinity, rebellion, violence, consumerism/anti-consumerism etc.

also, i am doing AQA english lit A and cannot use any books which already appear on the gcse/alevel specification!
Hi Visuals. (Have you had exam board approval to use the Palahniuk text?) Planning is going to be key here. The suggestions you make sound really interesting, but wide-ranging. Why Marxism? How does that relate to 'Fight Club'? To set you going, I'd do a bit of research on masculinity in 19th century literature. It's quite a new field of research, I believe, and would certainly expand your approach to your NEA. Specific text recommendations would come on the back of you narrowing your vision a bit. For the moment, I'd have a look at Dickens - especially 'Oliver Twist' and 'Great Expectations', as they relate directly to your current thinking about themes of identity, masculinity, rebellion etc. Other than that, have a think about some post-colonial literature. You might be OK using a text that appears in the GCSE Lit spec (as 'Great Expectations' does). The A Level spec just says you can't use texts that appear elsewhere in that spec (see p22). Hope this helps, and get back to me if you want to!
visuals
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Wilf G)
Hi Visuals. (Have you had exam board approval to use the Palahniuk text?) Planning is going to be key here. The suggestions you make sound really interesting, but wide-ranging. Why Marxism? How does that relate to 'Fight Club'? To set you going, I'd do a bit of research on masculinity in 19th century literature. It's quite a new field of research, I believe, and would certainly expand your approach to your NEA. Specific text recommendations would come on the back of you narrowing your vision a bit. For the moment, I'd have a look at Dickens - especially 'Oliver Twist' and 'Great Expectations', as they relate directly to your current thinking about themes of identity, masculinity, rebellion etc. Other than that, have a think about some post-colonial literature. You might be OK using a text that appears in the GCSE Lit spec (as 'Great Expectations' does). The A Level spec just says you can't use texts that appear elsewhere in that spec (see p22). Hope this helps, and get back to me if you want to!
thank you! i will pm you for more advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads