Good university of Environmental science with low entry requirements

Watch
sharondeep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have grade B in A-level maths and grade D in A-level chemistry, my GCSE is straight A's. I was going to resit my a-level exams this year so that I could achieve grades that better reflect my ability however due to coronavirus I was unable to do so. Are there any universities that you know that offer environmental science that doesn't have high entry requirements and that has a decent reputation. I have already decided to apply to UWE, Keele, Plymouth, Manchester Met but I have 1 more option to fill. Also what are your opinions on UWE and Keele I really like the course for UWE in particular but it is considered a "bad university"? It's kind of making me sad because out of all my options its course looks the most interesting. But yeah any advice and suggestions on where I should apply for my last space would be great!!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have a 3rd A level as most universities require one and what kind of university are you looking at and which area are you looking at.
sharondeep
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Do you have a 3rd A level as most universities require one and what kind of university are you looking at and which area are you looking at.
No, unfortunately, that's all I got. As for universities I honestly don't mind, campus-based would be preferred but any part of England is fine tbh.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sharondeep)
No, unfortunately, that's all I got. As for universities I honestly don't mind, campus-based would be preferred but any part of England is fine tbh.
There are a couple in Wales but I suspect they might want 3 A levels Aberystwyth was my main thought but Swansea accept lower than their stated grades but I doubt they will take you on 2 A levels. Both are campus universities. Exeter at Penryn do a lot of environmental courses but I dont know if they will accept you. Other than that you could look at University of South Wales, Bath Spa or Portsmouth to see if they will accept you. My get feeling would be to ring or email Aber or Swansea to find out whether they would be interested. Were you meant to be taking another A level this year. If so, mention it.
OddOnes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you like the course at UWE go to UWE! It's fine. It's got large campuses with good facilities. The course is the most important thing when choosing a university. Your degree classification is most important.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have a look at this and give them a try to get advice

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...136296DE27EFA0
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why are some english people so scared of wales?

Aber and bangor both hit well above their weight for ES (and other earth sciences). And I think they both offer really good foundation routes too.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Why are some english people so scared of wales?

Aber and bangor both hit well above their weight for ES (and other earth sciences). And I think they both offer really good foundation routes too.
And both are seaside places with mountain ranges nearby
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And both are seaside places with mountain ranges nearby
Exactly. I saw the thread title and thought “has to be aber or bangor” and then the OP talks about anywhere in England:facepalm:
sharondeep
Rep:
?
There are a couple in Wales but I suspect they might want 3 A levels Aberystwyth was my main thought but Swansea accept lower than their stated grades but I doubt they will take you on 2 A levels. Both are campus universities. Exeter at Penryn do a lot of environmental courses but I dont know if they will accept you. Other than that you could look at University of South Wales, Bath Spa or Portsmouth to see if they will accept you. My get feeling would be to ring or email Aber or Swansea to find out whether they would be interested. Were you meant to be taking another A level this year. If so, mention it.
Thank you!! I will check them out
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aber's entrance requirements are BBB-BCC to include a B in Environmental Science, Biology or Geography. I hope you are sitting one of these 3 but most universities every year accept a 2 grade drop so the D would normally be accepted. What I dont know is how they treat the subject that you are resitting. If universities reject students because of that they will end up short of spaces so it is certainly worth a try. Here is the email address for you. Good luck. Let me know what they say.
[email protected]
sharondeep
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Exactly. I saw the thread title and thought “has to be aber or bangor” and then the OP talks about anywhere in England:facepalm:
Aww noo I don't mind wales!! I was thinking more about Scottland only because I'm from the southeast so it would be very far away, though if I find a university that I like I will still be up for going there. So basically as long as it's in the Uk lol. Anyway, thank you for the suggestions I will check out these universities. Also if they do offer foundation courses I have a decent chance of getting in
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aww noo I don't mind wales!! I was thinking more about Scottland only because I'm from the southeast so it would be very far away, though if I find a university that I like I will still be up for going there. So basically as long as it's in the Uk lol. Anyway, thank you for the suggestions I will check out these universities. Also if they do offer foundation courses I have a decent chance of getting in
I know someone on here this year got into Swansea, Cardiff, Leicester and 2 others for Geography with BCD so they could be options.
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have grade B in A-level maths and grade D in A-level chemistry, my GCSE is straight A's. I was going to resit my a-level exams this year so that I could achieve grades that better reflect my ability however due to coronavirus I was unable to do so. Are there any universities that you know that offer environmental science that doesn't have high entry requirements and that has a decent reputation. I have already decided to apply to UWE, Keele, Plymouth, Manchester Met but I have 1 more option to fill. Also what are your opinions on UWE and Keele I really like the course for UWE in particular but it is considered a "bad university"? It's kind of making me sad because out of all my options its course looks the most interesting. But yeah any advice and suggestions on where I should apply for my last space would be great!!
Hi there! I’m so glad to see that you’re going to apply for Keele!

I’m a current 2nd year student at Keele university and I have absolutely loved it here since day one! It’s a campus based university which has so many positives such as everything you need is on your doorstep and you really feel like you’re involved in one big family!

In terms of the course you’re wanting to study, I thought it might be a good idea to point you in the direction of our ‘Ask a current Keele student’ page - https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/ where you can speak to a student who studies environmental science! You might find it more helpful to get opinions and your questions answered by someone who’s actually experiencing it as i’m studying Adult Nursing so it’s completely different!

If you have any specific questions or queries or would like to know about any of my personal experiences then please don’t hesitate to ask!

Hope this helps
Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi sharondeep

I am currently a 2nd year student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying my time here. Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide. The teaching quality is very high, The Sunday Times Good University Guide has been named the University of the Year in 2018 and 2019 for Teaching quality. Aberystwyth is also in the top 10 in the UK for the subject of Geography & Environmental Science in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.

Here at Aberystwyth you can study BSc Environmental Science (with integrated foundation year). In the first foundation year, you will be introduced to core components of Environmental Science that will prepare you for your degree in Environmental Sciences. More information can be found here.

Aberystwyth is a great place to study Environmental Science as we are set in Cardigan Bay and surrounded by a range of habitats including marine, moorland, mountain and grassland, making for some great fieldwork opportunities!

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions!

Rebecca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads