The Student Room Group

How to sort out a degree apprenticeship?

So I am just finishing year 12 now and I have come to the consensus of taking a degree apprenticeship instead of university as it suits me better financially and in terms of experience. I hope to do it in Civil Engineering but I am not sure how to put in an application for next year as the university websites say that I must be employed? If so where do I find firms willing to employ me as a degree apprentice?
Original post by adamap03
So I am just finishing year 12 now and I have come to the consensus of taking a degree apprenticeship instead of university as it suits me better financially and in terms of experience. I hope to do it in Civil Engineering but I am not sure how to put in an application for next year as the university websites say that I must be employed? If so where do I find firms willing to employ me as a degree apprentice?

Hi there,

Accredited degree apprenticeships with registered employers are usually advertised on the gov Find an Apprenticeship page, which I've included a link to below. You can filter the search results to show degree level only and by location, searching all of England if you want to get an overview of all the opportunities...

findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions - Mark
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,
i've just seen your chat on degree apprenticeships and I'm in the exact same position. I'm just finishing year 12 now and have recently been interested in Architecture, But I'm having some trouble finding degree apprenticeships in this field for 2021 students. the only ones available at the moment are for 2020 students.
- Do you happen to have any advice on where I could find other available Architecture degree apprenticeships for 2021?

I also had a question on the application process, as far as i know for a degree apprenticeship you apply through your CV. However, I'm slightly concerned that I wont get accepted. Since I have completely no work experience and due to the whole situation I can't gain any.
- What do you suppose i do?
- And do you have any advice on how I can deepen my knowledge and interest in architecture during this current time?
- Also when is the appropriate time to apply for a degree apprenticeship as a finishing year 12 student?

Many thanks.
It's likely that apprenticeships for 2021 won't be advertised yet, but you can probably assume that companies advertising for 2020 apprenticeships will be looking to recruit for 2021 at some point too- you could even get in touch and ask when 2021 applications might open.

In terms of not having a CV, I do think it's worth trying to get as much experience as possible- obviously it's difficult at the moment, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Any kind of volunteering will show that you're reliable and punctual and have some idea about how to act in a professional environment. You also might be able to set up some work experience later in the year.

Equally you can show skills through e.g. being a member of a sports club, or other hobby type group. If you're involved in something like this, why not see if there's some kind of responsibility you could take on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending