Naz ghanch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi, did you manage to enrol your daughter into a school? which part of Scotland were you moving to?i haven't managed to find a space in a school yet. and I'm worried as we are still hoping to move once the lockdown is over.
Valeriex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Naz ghanch)
hi, did you manage to enrol your daughter into a school? which part of Scotland were you moving to?i haven't managed to find a space in a school yet. and I'm worried as we are still hoping to move once the lockdown is over.
Okay I'm a 16yr old Scottish student going into my final year at school, so take what I think with a grain of salt as it might be different from what I know.
I think if you are moving to a fairly large town there will usually be 1 or more public highschools (I'm presuming that is what you are looking for) . I live in a town and there are 3 highschools (2 non-denominational, 1 catholic/religious) and they all have a capacity of over 1,500 students. So there will most likely be no problem in getting your daughter into a public highschool, as it is extremely unlikely that they are filled up and they would probably have to take you/offer a place if you are in the catchment area for any of their associated primaries. I don't know anything about fee-paying schools as well I don't go to one but I would also assume that they would let you in if you have the money .

And a note on primary schools, if you move into a street then whatever the catchment area is for that school then I think they are required to let you in even if the class is full. It's possible they might suggest another primary that has a space if it is nearby (in my street I literally live 30 seconds away from 2 separate primary schools). But they definitely have to take you in, if you are in the catchment area, they just might end up having to do a composite class or something.
I think the teachers are going back to school this week in Scotland so it might be worth emailing schools to ask them, and to register your child, and they will probably give you a place for next year as long as you have documents to show that you are going to live in their area. (Also could be a good idea to phone whatever council you are moving to eg, glasgow city council, they might be able to give you an idea on where to get info)
Sorry I really feel like this doesn't answer your question at all.
Mokas33
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We're moving to the Highlands from Cornwall after lockdown too.... One daughter will be going into S5 to do 5 Highers after studying for 10 GCSEs this Summer. Our other daughter will be going into S3
Naz ghanch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, has your daughter already got a place in school?
Lilyeve1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ive just started S5 and I live in the Highlands. personal I would say if you can do that nat 5 do it as the courses are different from each other but Its not the end of world as you can crash them but it's not recommended for languages. to crash you need to meant to conditions set by your school for something like history you need a b at nat 5 English and one other social subject to be considered.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.4%
Confident (31)
11.83%
Indifferent (46)
17.56%
Unsure (69)
26.34%
Worried (94)
35.88%

Watched Threads

Latest