Want more information about this university?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello,

I’m in Year 12 and I’m in the process of applying to universities. I’m a person of colour, my parents are first gen immigrants but I’ve lived in London my entire life. I mentioned applying to Lancaster to them and they weren’t particularly keen about it, as they’ve heard that racism is still a problem in areas such as Lancaster/basically anywhere north of the tube map haha. I’m not sure what to think of this, of course my parents aren’t trying to be hurtful or anything so don’t take this the wrong way, they’re just worried about their daughter’s safety!! I was wondering if anyone here is a POC who goes to Lancaster and can tell me if they’ve experienced any racism, how large the POC/BAME community there is, if it’s tight-knit/supportive?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,

I’m in Year 12 and I’m in the process of applying to universities. I’m a person of colour, my parents are first gen immigrants but I’ve lived in London my entire life. I mentioned applying to Lancaster to them and they weren’t particularly keen about it, as they’ve heard that racism is still a problem in areas such as Lancaster/basically anywhere north of the tube map haha. I’m not sure what to think of this, of course my parents aren’t trying to be hurtful or anything so don’t take this the wrong way, they’re just worried about their daughter’s safety!! I was wondering if anyone here is a POC who goes to Lancaster and can tell me if they’ve experienced any racism, how large the POC/BAME community there is, if it’s tight-knit/supportive?
Hey,

I'm a 1st year in Lancaster, who also born & lived in London my whole like. Also a POC (thats a whole convo of its own), & have integrated nicely with all groups of people. The thing is with Lancaster, being in the city centre, there may be an air of you feeling like you're the odd one out, undeniably its a majorly white british area. Odd question to ask, but how have you felt being a POC in London? Personally I live in a diverse part of south london so I've rarely felt my otherness. But in terms of on-campus integration and your peers, its about how much you want to integrate, and you will naturally find and meet people. For example through societies, maybe even your flatmates, through friends of friends. Also The term BAME/POC seems quite vague, but yes generally everyone's pretty supportive of each other in and outside of the community. Racism obviously will exist within any sphere, smh you'll find racism in London as you will up north, maybe it may occur more in the north though. There have been notorious cases of racism undeniably, I found out through a instagram post. I'ts all mad. Yeah I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Wouldn't it be better to stop labelling yourself as a POC/BAME person and thereby immediately separating yourself as 'different'? Can't you just be another student, like everyone else and approach it that way?
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Hi anon,
I think your concerns are shared by lots of people who move from diverse areas in London to less diverse areas in the North. I'd recommend having a look at the societies on the student's union website and you'll hopefully be able to find a society relating to a same cultural background as you. I'd then recommending contacting them through their social media and you'll hopefully be able to talk to people in the same position as you and can share their experience.
Sorry I can't help you anymore but let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help you with.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey,

I'm a 1st year in Lancaster, who also born & lived in London my whole like. Also a POC (thats a whole convo of its own), & have integrated nicely with all groups of people. The thing is with Lancaster, being in the city centre, there may be an air of you feeling like you're the odd one out, undeniably its a majorly white british area. Odd question to ask, but how have you felt being a POC in London? Personally I live in a diverse part of south london so I've rarely felt my otherness. But in terms of on-campus integration and your peers, its about how much you want to integrate, and you will naturally find and meet people. For example through societies, maybe even your flatmates, through friends of friends. Also The term BAME/POC seems quite vague, but yes generally everyone's pretty supportive of each other in and outside of the community. Racism obviously will exist within any sphere, smh you'll find racism in London as you will up north, maybe it may occur more in the north though. There have been notorious cases of racism undeniably, I found out through a instagram post. I'ts all mad. Yeah I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.
Hi anonymous 2

I have just read your response to anonymous1's query. I have recently firmed my Lancaster over Loughborough offer to study economics. I heard about the notorious cases of racism you referred too and that got me worried. I visited Lancaster twice the first time was for the open day and then attended the offer holders day. I felt more reassured during my second visit as i had the opportunity to speak to some of the BAME students who shared their experiences. It's good to know that everyone is pretty supportive of each other on and off campus. I am hoping that i would enjoy my time in Lancaster.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello everyone, thank you so much for responding!
Firstly to anon 2: I’m from Sri Lanka, a small island in South Asia, I used the terms poc/bame because I didn’t think there’d be lots of people from my community in Lancaster. I’m from a very very diverse part of north east London where I have a huge community, my school in north London is also very diverse, but I’ve had bad experiences too, I used to live about 10 minutes out of London in Essex, at my primary school I was 1 of the only 2 non-white people at my school, and it was very clear to me that I was the odd one out and was picked on a lot. I think the experience affected me a lot, but I’ve been able to grow because of it? Thank you for your response though, it’s been somewhat reassuring :-) and I’m so sorry I took so long to see it :-(
And to reality check: I would love to go in as just another student and it’s what I plan on, but that’s not how everyone else may see me, so I just want to be prepared. I’ve had bad experiences when I was very young that affected me badly because I didn’t know how to deal with them. I just want to make sure i can if I experience anything similar, and knowing what kind of environment I’lol be entering seemed a good idea. :-)
To Charlotte: thank you so much, I’ll definitely check it out and tell you what I find (if you’d like to know)!
To anon 3: I hope you really enjoy Lancaster too, it really does look amazing!
justjas33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Wouldn't it be better to stop labelling yourself as a POC/BAME person and thereby immediately separating yourself as 'different'? Can't you just be another student, like everyone else and approach it that way?
Anon only feels that way because as a POC/BAME person it’s likely they’ll be subject to racism in a place where it could happen more often. Last time I checked, white people don’t have that issue so unfortunately anon doesn’t have the liberty to “just be another student like everyone else”. It’s not as simple as you put it.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by justjas33)
Anon only feels that way because as a POC/BAME person it’s likely they’ll be subject to racism in a place where it could happen more often. Last time I checked, white people don’t have that issue so unfortunately anon doesn’t have the liberty to “just be another student like everyone else”. It’s not as simple as you put it.
Thank you! I completely agree with everything you’ve said :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.38%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.54%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (60)
18.46%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (68)
20.92%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.85%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.85%

Watched Threads