Jamel123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey, so the time has come for me to apply for University! I am both anxious and excited. I hoped you guys could help me with a few things? First off, are there any Universities in England that offer Geography with English, Journalism or Creative writing? I want to do both but if not will settle with Geography. I probably won't get A's but im hoping for BBC or BCC. Thanks in advance. Frankie x
tacobeth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
the only ones I could find were Exeter, Liverpool Hope and Newcastle. You could apply for a Geography degree and most universities will let you pick 1 or 2 optional units from other areas so you can still do some English modules if you wanted.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jamel123)
Hey, so the time has come for me to apply for University! I am both anxious and excited. I hoped you guys could help me with a few things? First off, are there any Universities in England that offer Geography with English, Journalism or Creative writing? I want to do both but if not will settle with Geography. I probably won't get A's but im hoping for BBC or BCC. Thanks in advance. Frankie x
Use UCAS Search... Look for Combined Honours degrees, some uni's offer them and you'll probably find you can combine both courses. Maybe also consider looking into a degree called Liberal Arts, which will let you cover loaaads including geography and english

if you're after specifics, a quick look on ucas search has come up with these options:
- Liverpool Hope University offers English Language and Geography
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...micYearId=2021
- Northampton Uni offers Human Geography/English
- Exeter Uni offers a Combined Honours degree... Geography & English are both options that can be combined
- Newcastle offers a Combined Honours degree... Geography & English Literature are options that can be combined
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...2-3a78fa7823d7

I know you said in England, but if you're willing to consider Wales too, Aberystwyth has Human Geography/English Lit
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi Jamel123,

Firstly, I would encourage you to find a University which offers a joint honours degree with the subjects of your choice. If you are studying something you are interested, then it will probably help in the long term when it comes down to learning and understanding new content.

Secondly, I would like to suggest the University of Huddersfield for a standalone Geography degree. The entry requirements are BCC with at least a C in an accepted science subject- including A Level Geography. Do you have a particular field of interest in Geography? Please let me know, and I could give you some specific details on that course.

In my opinion one of my favourite aspects studying Geography BSc(Hons) at the University of Huddersfield is the small cohort size, there are currently 19 students on my course. The course capacity for 2021 entry is 25 and even though this is subject to change, it will still likely be relatively small. From my experience, it allows you to know all of your lectures more personally. However, the university environment enables you to retain a level of independence and professionalism.

In terms of content, the first year has involved developing a broad understanding of Geography, including both Human and Physical topics. In my view, it has helped me explore and gain a better understanding of my interests in Geography. As a result, I have taken the middle road deciding to study Geography BSc(Hons) as I knew I couldn’t afford to miss out learning either discipline.

Also, I cannot discuss Geography without highlighting the field trips. Thanks to Huddersfield’s locality you are only an hour away from places like Liverpool and the Peak District. As well as local sites of interest such as Leeds and Brighouse. Under normal circumstances, in your 1st year, you would receive module related field trips, and this could be a written report or presentation. Once again, under ordinary circumstances, in Year 2, we would go abroad to develop our geographical skills and put the feedback we received in Year 1 into practice as well as visiting other local areas such as Hebden Bridge.

If you would like to find out more about studying geography at degree level, my classmate Molly has written a great blog outlining her experience so far.

http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/whic...cal-geography/ and you can also visit https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2021-22/fu...raphy-bsc-hons for course details.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

All the best with your future studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Physical Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Jamel123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep)
Hi Jamel123,

Firstly, I would encourage you to find a University which offers a joint honours degree with the subjects of your choice. If you are studying something you are interested, then it will probably help in the long term when it comes down to learning and understanding new content.

Secondly, I would like to suggest the University of Huddersfield for a standalone Geography degree. The entry requirements are BCC with at least a C in an accepted science subject- including A Level Geography. Do you have a particular field of interest in Geography? Please let me know, and I could give you some specific details on that course.

In my opinion one of my favourite aspects studying Geography BSc(Hons) at the University of Huddersfield is the small cohort size, there are currently 19 students on my course. The course capacity for 2021 entry is 25 and even though this is subject to change, it will still likely be relatively small. From my experience, it allows you to know all of your lectures more personally. However, the university environment enables you to retain a level of independence and professionalism.

In terms of content, the first year has involved developing a broad understanding of Geography, including both Human and Physical topics. In my view, it has helped me explore and gain a better understanding of my interests in Geography. As a result, I have taken the middle road deciding to study Geography BSc(Hons) as I knew I couldn’t afford to miss out learning either discipline.

Also, I cannot discuss Geography without highlighting the field trips. Thanks to Huddersfield’s locality you are only an hour away from places like Liverpool and the Peak District. As well as local sites of interest such as Leeds and Brighouse. Under normal circumstances, in your 1st year, you would receive module related field trips, and this could be a written report or presentation. Once again, under ordinary circumstances, in Year 2, we would go abroad to develop our geographical skills and put the feedback we received in Year 1 into practice as well as visiting other local areas such as Hebden Bridge.

If you would like to find out more about studying geography at degree level, my classmate Molly has written a great blog outlining her experience so far.

http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/whic...cal-geography/ and you can also visit https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2021-22/fu...raphy-bsc-hons for course details.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

All the best with your future studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Physical Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
I had considered huddersfield (Ive withheld my place for 2021 instead so will be applying then) You make it sound lovely ahah. How are your studies going? Is it still good there?
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had considered huddersfield (Ive withheld my place for 2021 instead so will be applying then) You make it sound lovely ahah. How are your studies going? Is it still good there?
Hi @JameI123

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times,

I am in my second year and yes, there have been some significant changes post-covid with the majority of lectures/tutorials/seminars are online. However, I am still going onto campus for some lectures which cannot be presented remotely and we are still going ahead with some field trips.

My studies are going ok, like many I have found the process of learning from home challenge. However, I would like to think that it won’t have a significant impact on my final results. My BSc(Hons) Geography course which has been very well adapted online. I do miss going onto campus frequently however, I know it is because the university is putting our safety first and making sure they adhere to the government guidance.

To be honest, I am a local lad and proud of my local area. In my opinion, the University of Huddersfield has been very supportive- especially during these unprecedented times. The campus is a lot quieter than what it usually is but the majority of services and some amenities can still be accessed.

Take care,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (723)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (919)
42.92%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (406)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.34%

Watched Threads