Laptop 3 -

Additional Comments:
Advertisement
bluewolf21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd get the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 AMD with Ryzen 3, 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. A touch over your budget at £460, but should still be more than enough for your needs.
Nurtenkemahli
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by bluewolf21)
I'd get the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 AMD with Ryzen 3, 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. A touch over your budget at £460, but should still be more than enough for your needs.
Thank you for the suggestion, do you think the budget 2 in 1s are worth it, since I'm unsure if I would prefer physical drawing/writing with a pen/stylus
I'm able to up the budget to around 500-600 max
Advertisement
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Nurtenkemahli)
Thank you for the suggestion, do you think the budget 2 in 1s are worth it, since I'm unsure if I would prefer physical drawing/writing with a pen/stylus
I'm able to up the budget to around 500-600 max
I'd recommend paying extra and getting something like a HP Pavilion x360, or an Envy x360. Unfortunately the pen support on lower end 2 in 1s seems to be lacking, amazing as it is on higher end models, and in your budget you aren't likely to find one with sacrifices like dull and dark screens, mediocre speakers, etc. I'd advise either spending even more, or using pen and paper.

Also, if you've got the money, and are looking at buying the Ideapad 5, definitely throw the higher end screen and the backlit keyboard in there. It's definitely worth it for usability.
Last edited by bluewolf21; 3 days ago
Nurtenkemahli
Rep:
?
I'd recommend paying extra and getting something like a HP Pavilion x360, or an Envy x360. Unfortunately the pen support on lower end 2 in 1s seems to be lacking, amazing as it is on higher end models, and in your budget you aren't likely to find one with sacrifices like dull and dark screens, mediocre speakers, etc. I'd advise either spending even more, or using pen and paper.

Also, if you've got the money, and are looking at buying the Ideapad 5, definitely throw the higher end screen and the backlit keyboard in there. It's definitely worth it for usability.
Thank you for the suggestions. Much appreciated
Advertisement
Nurtenkemahli
Rep:
?

Ah what are your thoughts on the Surface Go/2. They are quite affordable but I wasn't sure if they'd be enough for my degree
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Ah what are your thoughts on the Surface Go/2. They are quite affordable but I wasn't sure if they'd be enough for my degree
They are quite decent for the price, though I would definitely get a model 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM, the base model will just suck because of how slow it is tbh. I'd recommend to get a type cover first, then get the Pen if you can budget for it - but if you can live with the On screen keyboard, then there's nothing wrong with going the other way round. It's £700 altogether, yes it's £600 for the base model, but the base model just sucks thanks to it's eMMc storage so unless you're really patient I wouldn't recommend it.

This review might be good for you to see, or maybe this one from The Verge.

This is a good written one.
Last edited by bluewolf21; 3 days ago
Advertisement
Nurtenkemahli
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
They are quite decent for the price, though I would definitely get a model 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM, the base model will just suck because of how slow it is tbh. I'd recommend to get a type cover first, then get the Pen if you can budget for it - but if you can live with the On screen keyboard, then there's nothing wrong with going the other way round. It's £700 altogether, yes it's £600 for the base model, but the base model just sucks thanks to it's eMMc storage so unless you're really patient I wouldn't recommend it.

This review might be good for you to see, or maybe this one from The Verge.

This is a good written one.
Thank you
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thank you
No problem. Also, it may be worth looking at this Lenovo Chromebook Duet if you want something cheaper. It is £350 for a model with a keyboard bundled in and 128GB of Storage. It isn't as nice as the Surface Go 2, especially since it's running Chrome OS(which isn't as capable, but still usable for most tasks like Office, Chrome, OneNote etc.,), but if you can live with Chrome OS it may definitely be worth a look. It's also worth noting that you will be able to use an USI pen to supplement it.

This is a good comparison if you're interested.
This is a good pen if you elect for the Duet instead, or want a cheap one for a Go 2.
Advertisement
Nurtenkemahli
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
No problem. Also, it may be worth looking at this Lenovo Chromebook Duet if you want something cheaper. It is £350 for a model with a keyboard bundled in and 128GB of Storage. It isn't as nice as the Surface Go 2, especially since it's running Chrome OS(which isn't as capable, but still usable for most tasks like Office, Chrome, OneNote etc.,), but if you can live with Chrome OS it may definitely be worth a look. It's also worth noting that you will be able to use an USI pen to supplement it.

This is a good comparison if you're interested.
This is a good pen if you elect for the Duet instead, or want a cheap one for a Go 2.
I'm just very torn between a laptop, 2 in 1 laptop and a tablet (plus the keyboard, stylus)
Like I'm unsure if just a tablet with the accessories would be enough for my degree and for it to last at least a couple years. Ideally I'd want to be able to digitally write, but since I'm on a tight budget I don't know what to go for. Plus I don't want to have to start and then be like "I wish I got this instead etc."
bluewolf21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I'm just very torn between a laptop, 2 in 1 laptop and a tablet (plus the keyboard, stylus)
Like I'm unsure if just a tablet with the accessories would be enough for my degree and for it to last at least a couple years. Ideally I'd want to be able to digitally write, but since I'm on a tight budget I don't know what to go for. Plus I don't want to have to start and then be like "I wish I got this instead etc."
You know what, The £550 Ideapad C340 should suit your needs well if I'm gonna be honest. It should be more than enough for what you want out of it, and whilst it's not perfect(the screen is a TN panel, which leaves me with little confidence that it will be that good, the i3 running it leaves a bit to be desired, and 128GB of storage is not much for the price). But for £400, and for a Windows 2 in 1, it isn't a bad laptop and something I can easily recommend over a Surface Go 2 or a Duet, even if it isn't the best thing in the world. It will be fine. For a good system, it doesn't need to be premium. At the end of the day, the best laptop for a lot of people is something that can just get on with it without kicking up a fuss.

Also, if you decide you do want a tablet, which I'm advising against due to the constrained screen size and cramped keyboards, it may be of interest to know that you can do office work like Word on a tablet, it might not be the most ideal thing in the world, but it is definitely doable. Especially if you get something like a Surface which runs full Windows 10(giving the ability to use more apps), or even something like the Chromebook I listed, instead of iPadOS or Android.

My advise is if you want something that is a good laptop(both fast, and nice to use), but would also like to be able to take notes by hand instead of typing, get pen and paper and a traditional clamshell laptop. I'd prefer it due to not having to worry about the battery running out, and there's no compromises to be made on the actual laptop. This way you can get something that's nice but also good value.
Last edited by bluewolf21; 1 day ago
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (51)
19.39%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (58)
22.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (50)
19.01%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (55)
20.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (25)
9.51%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
9.13%

Watched Threads