liamsamuels
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello - I’m going into year 12 in September and have been strongly considering a career in the veterinary field for quite some time now. I’m aware that you need an array of work experience in order to have a successful application but I’m unsure about exactly what I should be doing. I obviously have lots of time to complete this work experience. Would anyone be able to give me some advice about what I should be beginning to organise work experience wise? What sorts of places should I be contacting and for how long should I be completing these placements (Obviously you wouldn’t be spending weeks in an abattoir for example, but just some rough examples of what perhaps some of you may have done)? I’m really sorry if this has been posted before - I’m just looking for a definitive answer as to what an excellent applicant would have on offer for work experience. Thanks so much!
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need a mix of animal handling and observation in vet practice. If you can get both small animal and large in both settings that would be best. Lambing is great as you probably get more hands on than most other experiences - my daughter got to deliver a lamb that needed a bit of help, with guidance, on her second day.
She did a couple of years of Sunday mornings at a mixed animal rescue, 2 stints of lambing, a day each milking and beef, a week at a zoo, several weeks small animal practice (in week long sessions) and just one day of large animal as that is all she could get, a week at a donkey sanctuary.
A day at an abattoir is enough - she didn't get this.
Others have much more, particularly large animal and equine that she was light on. She got offers from her 2 top choices.
Last edited by ReadingMum; 1 year ago
Horsesarethebest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just get as varied experience as possible. All vet schools ask for around 2 weeks in a vet practice within 3 years previously and about 4 of animal handling. The unis are more interested in what you gained rather than how much
TheVirtualPhoton
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The best place to look will be vet school websites to see what they specifically require as each is slightly different. They'll each ask for a mixture of seeing small/large/mixed practice and some 'husbandry' which is things like horses, dairy and lambing. Going on a placement for a 1-2 week block is pretty good, as is working up time doing weekends/odd days.
Like above, lambing is really great. I think it's really important to get some lambing before uni but people do get in without. My advice would be to achieve what you need for your applications and do as much more as you can/want to in the same areas or different things as it really boosts your application.
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you look on each individual D100 courses website they will typically tell you the time frame experience counts in prior to application (normally 18 months previous) and the amount of each expected as a minimum. You will also be able to see if it is scored (Liverpool for example used to give more points for more experience whereas some you either meet the minimum or don't). I would recommend doing far more than the minimum to be a good applicant however. Your interview performance depends on how well rounded you are as an applicant - familiar with the industry and its role within animal and public health, livestock production, the entertainment sector etc.

Veterinary practices will be flat out now and very unlikely to take even vet students let alone pre vet so considering you have time I would save these for next summer when hopefully the situation will be much better. Lambing depending where you are in the country begins around late november and goes on until shortly after easter - plenty of time to get 2 weeks in.

Focus on getting the core placements (Cattle, sheep, pigs, equine, small animal, and smallies/farm/equine vets) before going for the more 'bonus' placements - e.g. an abattoir (very well liked) or laboratory.

Also do not be suckered into pre-vet courses - they are often totally unlike the actual vet course, and do not count as experience due to their inflated financial cost making them unequal to applicants.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.69%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.08%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
30%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.46%

Watched Threads