The Student Room Group

Is 20 years to old to go to university?

I'm a little bit scared on what I could see in university but what scares me the most is the age group so I heard in the UK the age to go to university is 18 but when I go to uni I will be 20.

I come from Spain and I had to do two years ESOL to better my English and by the time I will apply for uni I will be 20. Any recommendations???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mnrvp
Any recommendations???

Go to uni.

Re thread title; no.
Reply 2
Not at all!

Some of my friends at university in first year were 20-22 when they started and some even slightly older than that; you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 3
okay thanks 👍
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
Go to uni.

Re thread title; no.

How?
Reply 5
I understand
Of course not, nobody cares about your age at university - people of all ages and situations go - just enjoy it
No, of course not.
I just finished a degree which I started when I was 22 :smile: go for it!
Reply 9
Is there any difference between being a mature student and not being a mature student? And is being 20 makes you a mature student at university?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by del1rious
I just finished a degree which I started when I was 22 :smile: go for it!

did they put you as a mature student?
Your posts are always so sensible and positive, I love it. Just had to say that :lol:
Original post by mnrvp
did they put you as a mature student?

I’m not sure, if they did it certainly wasn’t any different to the first time around (I initially attempted a degree at 18 which I dropped out of)

I know that they can house you with other “older” students if you are after peace and quiet what everyone else is drinking themselves to death.
Also I will say that both times at university there were students across all age ranges, from 18 right up to some people in their 40s.
Reply 14
Christ. I'll be 39 when I start uni in Sept. I am definitely be wayyyyy tooooo olddddddd! 😭🤪😆
To OP, it definitely is not. I have met so many others in a similar position as you in uni. I've even met much older (30-40). You are fine and no one judges or cares, to be quite frank (esp with you being just 20):smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by del1rious
I’m not sure, if they did it certainly wasn’t any different to the first time around (I initially attempted a degree at 18 which I dropped out of)

I know that they can house you with other “older” students if you are after peace and quiet what everyone else is drinking themselves to death.

So there isn't much difference.
I started my degree at 28, just finished it now at 31 and im now away to do a full time 2 year MSc... you'll be fine at 20 🙂
Reply 18
Original post by Synergy_
To OP, it definitely is not. I have met so many others in a similar position as you in uni. I've even met much older (30-40). You are fine and no one judges or cares, to be quite frank (esp with you being just 20):smile:

Okay 😅
Reply 19
I just wanted to know if at the age of 20 I will be considered mature student? 🤷

Latest