I don't know what I career I want and it's really stressing me out

Watch
NatashaW26
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm taking a gap year before university because I have had so much coursework and exams that I haven't even had time to consider what career I want or what I even want to study. I am spending a lot of time thinking and researching possible career options but I just can't decide. My career options change every week! I know I want to do something to do with Spanish and I'm extremely passionate about acting. I've looked into translating and interpreting but I don't think it's for me. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Really stressing out!
Last edited by NatashaW26; 4 months ago
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by NatashaW26)
I'm taking a gap year before university because I have had so much coursework and exams that I haven't even had time to consider what career I want or what I even want to study. I am spending a lot of time thinking and researching possible career options but I just can't decide. My career options change every week! I know I want to do something to do with Spanish and I'm extremely passionate about acting. I've looked into translating and interpreting but I don't think it's for me. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Really stressing out!
Don't feel like you have to rush into a career - take the time you need to research and plan. It could be a good idea to read career profiles to see what different paths involve. You could study a degree combined with Spanish to help focus your career options but help you fulfil your interest in Spanish. Having a language can add value to you for employers so don't think that studying Spanish will only limit you to translating.

If you have narrowed down your career ideas, looking into related work experience or volunteering can bring you greater insight which will help you decide what you want to do next.

You also mention that you are passionate about acting - have you done anything to further this interest, for example, school plays, local theatre groups, acting classes?...
NatashaW26
Rep:
?
Hi thanks for the advice! I've been looking through job profiles and it's just been really hard- my job options even have their own folder right now! I tried a online translation course and it made me realise I don't think it's what I want to do because they said the majority of translators and interpreters are freelance and I don't really want to be self employed. I'm considering studying Spanish and Theatre in a combined degree, but I've looked at the Theatre part of the degree and it doesn't sound very enthusiastic. It also seems very theory based instead of practical, so I'm not sure if it's for me. I've been in lots of shows but haven't performed very much in the last 2 years due to the work load at college, and find it really depressing because I'm not doing what I love. Of course, I'd love to become a actress but I also need something that will have a stable source of income
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by NatashaW26)
Hi thanks for the advice! I've been looking through job profiles and it's just been really hard- my job options even have their own folder right now! I tried a online translation course and it made me realise I don't think it's what I want to do because they said the majority of translators and interpreters are freelance and I don't really want to be self employed. I'm considering studying Spanish and Theatre in a combined degree, but I've looked at the Theatre part of the degree and it doesn't sound very enthusiastic. It also seems very theory based instead of practical, so I'm not sure if it's for me. I've been in lots of shows but haven't performed very much in the last 2 years due to the work load at college, and find it really depressing because I'm not doing what I love. Of course, I'd love to become a actress but I also need something that will have a stable source of income
Studying theatre at university sounds like it will be different to what you are interested in (more theory instead of practical). If you are interested in acting, you could look to do this outside of your degree (if you choose to go to university). Get more involved in doing acting (local shows, theatre groups, evening classes, university societies...) and make contacts. You could also apply for work as an extras and apply for any open auditions (sometimes TV companies will post notices online). I don't think you necessarily need a degree to become an actress. If you have the talent, put the effort in and make good contacts, you will have a good chance of success. Also consider a second career idea to provide you with stable income (acting can be a very tough industry!) - when reading through job profiles, did anything else stand out to you?
NatashaW26
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Studying theatre at university sounds like it will be different to what you are interested in (more theory instead of practical). If you are interested in acting, you could look to do this outside of your degree (if you choose to go to university). Get more involved in doing acting (local shows, theatre groups, evening classes, university societies...) and make contacts. You could also apply for work as an extras and apply for any open auditions (sometimes TV companies will post notices online). I don't think you necessarily need a degree to become an actress. If you have the talent, put the effort in and make good contacts, you will have a good chance of success. Also consider a second career idea to provide you with stable income (acting can be a very tough industry!) - when reading through job profiles, did anything else stand out to you?
Hi thanks again!
Maybe I could do acting on the side, I just don't know how much free time university students have. I know when I was at college I barely had any free time at all so I doubt university will be different. I quite like the sound of becoming a private tutor for Spanish, becoming a drama teacher or teaching English to non English speakers.I am strongest at speaking Spanish, but I don't know a lot of jobs which require this. For now, I'll have to look at virtual open days and ask these kinds of questions and ask about the practical work in the theatre degree. I am also going to apply to a BA acting degree at a different university
student.owl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes!! I'm the exact same! I always thought I wanted to go into translation before I realised that most of them were freelance because freelancing and not having a stable job was the only thing putting me off acting. Now I'm not sure. I'm not convinced I want to go straight into drama school because my parents wouldn't approve but whenever I think of studying languages I always feel the pang of regret. Nice to know someone out there is in the same boat as me.
NatashaW26
Rep:
?
(Original post by student.owl)
Yes!! I'm the exact same! I always thought I wanted to go into translation before I realised that most of them were freelance because freelancing and not having a stable job was the only thing putting me off acting. Now I'm not sure. I'm not convinced I want to go straight into drama school because my parents wouldn't approve but whenever I think of studying languages I always feel the pang of regret. Nice to know someone out there is in the same boat as me.
Oh my god, you are literally exactly in the same situation as me! Luckily my mum is really supportive about me going to study Drama, but I've been told by many people how it's a tough business to get into. Really comforting to know I'm not alone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
14%
I'm not sure (24)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.18%
I have already dropped out (11)
2%
I'm not a current university student (261)
47.45%

Watched Threads