The Student Room Group

5 A levels

Interested in: 1) gcse grades you got 2)any other requirements for 5 A levels, 3)In Sixth Form or College? (p.s. please do not try to discourage me or advice against it, I am merely interested, thanks)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous2341
Let me know what gcse grades you got & any other requirements for 5 A levels, down below(p.s. please do not try to discourage me or advice against it, I am merely interested, thanks)

my gcse grades where 655554443. 5 Alevels is quiet a work load. but uf you want to do it. do it, its not uncommon.

currently am doing and used to study

A level Gov. and Politics
Criminology
Applied Law
Health and Social Care - used to study got an 'A'
Business - used to study got an 'B'

even though i know study only 3 alevels. i get bored so much and am quiet a hard worker and finish work quiet fast. i get so bored. i though 3 Alevels was to much but for me it wasnt. hope you do great.
I did 4/5 in first year (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, and an EPQ hence the ‘/5’) and I was extremely overwhelmed with it all (I was an idiot and thought that going from 11 GCSEs to 4 A-Levels and an EPQ would be easy. Again, an idiot is me) that I took an AS and dropped physics and finished my EPQ just before second year started, and OMG the workload with just the 3 is SO MUCH EASIER than 4/5. My GCSEs were A*9999888776. (I’ve just finished college), and other than fulfilling the subject requirements and overall GCSE requirements of my college I didn’t need to do anything else. I hope this gives you an insight into how hard taking more than 3 is (you might think I’m exaggerating but the workload on top of extracurricular things on top of early UCAS application and admissions tests and on top of juggling deteriorating mental health throughout the two years (I didn’t have a problem with this in high school) and having parents that don’t really believe in mental heath problems in teens (therefore feeling like there was no one I could talk to) was tough on me. Yes the workload for me decreased in y2 but the pressure from my peers, parents and teachers (I was a med applicant, didn’t get in sad times) really knocked my confidence and belief in myself to do well and THAT’S what was hardest for me). But if you’ve got the willpower and determination (I’m sure you do), then you’ll excel no matter what you do. In terms of actually content and workload (minus the whole mental health thing) I’d say is about the same as GCSEs (it’s less subjects but more content in those subjects) and if there wasn’t so much at stake (grades, university places, etc.) and not being constantly told about it like broken records, I’d say it’s doable. I wish you good luck with whatever you do! (Sorry that turned a bit depressing but that’s my experience with doing more than necessary - A-Levels are really only needed for uni; I don’t think anyone gives a toss if you get A*A*A* or BBB after you get into uni)
Hey so for gcse I got
4 9s, 1 a star and 7 8s
(I'm retaking some so it might change lmao)

And I'm in yr 12 and taking 5 alevels which are maths, further maths, english lit, geography and japanese.

The workload for maths and further is pretty tough but further maths I kid you not is SOOOO much fun and I enjoy all my lessons (well geo I have a deadass teacher but its chill cuz I find geo pretty easy). Btw I'm only taking 5 cuz japanese is like a language I speak at home so it's not that much work and its basically watching films and reading books which is fun. Hope that helps. If you're taking 5 u need to love and i mean LOVE all ur subjects

Quick Reply

Latest