Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me that it is worth mentioning in your personal statement if you are the first person in your immediate family to go to Uni, is this true?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I was told this at college too, bit when I put my ps up to be reviewd by a ps helper on TSR I was told not to.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Not really worth it; there's actually a place on your UCAS form where you say whether or not your parents have had a university education, so indicate it there. If that's not enough, you could ask your referee to put it in your reference :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To be honest, I don't know if it's going to matter to unis, they're not going to look at two people and say "oh, well this one has had loads of family members go to uni, so we won't have them..."

I wouldn't waste the characters/lines, to be frank.

ReputationRep:
    No, it'll make you look like you're looking for sympathy.
    Lots of people have parents who didn't go to university (including mine!), it isn't rare :p:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't bother putting it in my personal statement, but I know there was somewhere on the UCAS form that asked if either of your parents went.

ReputationRep:
    im the 1st in a huge family to go and i didnt mention that once, and yet i was still accepted by all 5

ReputationRep:
    I didn't elaborate on it - I just used it as part of my ending, and honestly, besides my school's letter explaining my mitigating circumstances during the exam period, I think it was my personal statement that saved my place at Warwick, 'cause I didn't get the best A level results ever. :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, I won't bother including it in my PS Is the wording on the UCAS form 'Uni education' or 'got a degree'? I only ask because someone in my family went to a polytechnic, which isn't technically a Uni, although she did get a degree :confused:

ReputationRep:
    hmm I had heard something similar but that was from my mate's oxbridge form. Apparantly if you're applying to oxbridge, mentioning this could get you a lower offer...supposedly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chowder)
    I didn't elaborate on it - I just used it as part of my ending, and honestly, besides my school's letter explaining my mitigating circumstances during the exam period, I think it was my personal statement that saved my place at Warwick, 'cause I didn't get the best A level results ever. :P
    what did you need, and what did you get if you dont mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    theres other more important and valuable things to use up the limited lines with

ReputationRep:
    it goes on your application anyway, without having to put it in your personal statement.

I would have thought that would have looked like you were clutching at straws, but, it's up to you.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My referee put it in my reference. Didn't ask him to, like, but I didn't mind much; apparently it can help slightly.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jay234)
    theres other more important and valuable things to use up the limited lines with
    Trust me, most people fill their PSs up with rubbish anyway. A decent PS can be written with ten lines to spare; not that I'm recommending it, but it can be done. It's a character limit, not a target.

ReputationRep:
    My generations the first to actually have a decent education :p:

And i'll be the first to go to university, but i didn't find it important enough to mention

:clip:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waheyyyy)
    Someone told me that it is worth mentioning in your personal statement if you are the first person in your immediate family to go to Uni, is this true?

Cheers
    Well if I was an addmisions officer all I would think if i read that is:
    'Well obviously your a crappy applicant and hence you think that putting a soppy thing like that will let you get away with it'

Not saying you are (a crappy applicant), but if you are good enough you do not need to put something like that to get in to a uni of your choice. Do it on your own merits period.

ReputationRep:
    Yer it makes it look like you think that fact will better your chances and therefore will probably put the admissions officer off..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elvendork)
    No, it'll make you look like you're looking for sympathy.
    And assumptions are lkely to be made on/along those grounds based on your school and location anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well i had all that on me reference...also a paragraph on basically how **** my school is. Number of peeps on EMA, pass rates, uni entrances ( or lack thereof lol)..all these factors are meant to indicate a bad school, apparently. But then I had the grades to show i was a serious candidate, it was just about putting my grades in context. Without a doubt I had to work harder to get my As and A*s than someone would at a private school or at least suggests I have natural talent...just fact

Neway it didn't harm my application as i got into 4 outta the 5 for law ( Manchester, Bristol, Warwick and King's)...I would say it's something for your referee to deal with though, wouldn't reccomend you puttin all that shish in the personal statement.

If you're not a competitive candidate though, and by that I mean have good grades neway, all that info won't help one bit. And nor do i think it should...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.