Legitboss123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,

I'm starting College September I'd like to know the entry requirements for the following subjects;

by the way I've already asked my college but they haven't given me enough detail with their response and I'm still a bit confused about it.

The Following Subjects Are;

A Level Physics
a-level chemistry
a level Maths

I heard you need a grade 6 to do maths and physics but a grade 4 for chemistry at GCSE I'm really confused about this and I could use some advice so anyone want to help?

by the way I need an immediate response because I need to start making up my mind soon
amwalsh_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Legitboss123)
Hi,

I'm starting College September I'd like to know the entry requirements for the following subjects;

by the way I've already asked my college but they haven't given me enough detail with their response and I'm still a bit confused about it.

The Following Subjects Are;

A Level Physics
a-level chemistry
a level Maths

I heard you need a grade 6 to do maths and physics but a grade 4 for chemistry at GCSE I'm really confused about this and I could use some advice so anyone want to help?

by the way I need an immediate response because I need to start making up my mind soon
You need to contact your school/college. Mine want you to get a 7 in maths, and 6 to take Chemistry and Physics. there's no one global entry requirement, it varies between institutions. email the sixth form asking for thejr GCSE requirements for admission, and see what they come back with.
amwalsh_
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
just to add to that, those A Levels are some of the hardest going, so ideally you would want at least a 7 in all of those subjects to make sure you've got the skills/knowledge so you're not going to struggle. If that might be a problem, well now you've got the time to start revising GCSE content and starting to learn AS content so you can get ahead of the game
Legitboss123
Rep:
?
(Original post by amwalsh_)
just to add to that, those A Levels are some of the hardest going, so ideally you would want at least a 7 in all of those subjects to make sure you've got the skills/knowledge so you're not going to struggle. If that might be a problem, well now you've got the time to start revising GCSE content and starting to learn AS content so you can get ahead of the game

I'm a private candidate who couldn't get a calculated grade this year and my college said they'll use my mock exam results which I'm taking late July as my temporary GCSE results until I'm taking my actual Autumn GCSE Exams. And I just wanted to know what I'd like to aim for in those mock exams so I can do my desired a level subjects.

Before I was planning on taking GCSE Maths Foundation but I guess that's not the case anymore and I should start aiming for 6 and 7 in my mock exams and try even hard in my actual GCSE exams in November
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
amwalsh_
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm a private candidate who couldn't get a calculated grade this year and my college said they'll use my mock exam results which I'm taking late July as my temporary GCSE results until I'm taking my actual Autumn GCSE Exams. And I just wanted to know what I'd like to aim for in those mock exams so I can do my desired a level subjects.

Before I was planning on taking GCSE Maths Foundation but I guess that's not the case anymore and I should start aiming for 6 and 7 in my mock exams and try even hard in my actual GCSE exams in November
Ah, okay. At my sixth form, Maths grade 7, and Chem/Phys grade 6 is the absolute minimum, but as they're difficult A Levels you really want an 8 in Maths, 7 in the others.
You definitely cannot get into A Level maths with foundation maths. if you're even considering taking a level maths then a foundation paper should be an absolute walk in the park. Some of these grades sound high, but you've chosen rather difficult subjects. What do you plan to do post-6th form, as you might want to take a humanity (geog, history, business etc) as they're usually easier than sciences, and the entry requirements are around 5/6 usually.
Legitboss123
Rep:
?
(Original post by amwalsh_)
Ah, okay. At my sixth form, Maths grade 7, and Chem/Phys grade 6 is the absolute minimum, but as they're difficult A Levels you really want an 8 in Maths, 7 in the others.
You definitely cannot get into A Level maths with foundation maths. if you're even considering taking a level maths then a foundation paper should be an absolute walk in the park. Some of these grades sound high, but you've chosen rather difficult subjects. What do you plan to do post-6th form, as you might want to take a humanity (geog, history, business etc) as they're usually easier than sciences, and the entry requirements are around 5/6 usually.
I'd like to do automotive engineering in the future
amwalsh_
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Okay, for BEng Automative Engineering at Loughborough (a decently reputable and fairly prestigious) university, you'd want AAB in Maths, Physics and one other subject. the maths would need to be one of the As. Some unis would have lower entry requirements at A Level and some will be higher. I think it would be easier for you to reconsider Chemistry, and perhaps take a slightly easier A Level than it, if you need to get high grades at Maths and Physics. A 7 at GCSE is totally incomparable with an A at A Level.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
To be perfectly honest with you someone taking Foundation Maths would struggle at A level and probably wouldnt get in or cope with Engineering. To be capable of achieving the kind of results you would need grade 7s in all. Your other option would be to take a BTEC in Engineering but even then you might need A level Maths. A foundation level wont prepare you for what you want to take in future. It might be harsh but maybe you ought to look at something less Mathematical than Engineering if you are not good at Maths
Legitboss123
Rep:
?
I've asked my College and this was their reply

Name:  Screenshot_20200616-083336-1-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  16.1 KB
Legitboss123
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
To be perfectly honest with you someone taking Foundation Maths would struggle at A level and probably wouldnt get in or cope with Engineering. To be capable of achieving the kind of results you would need grade 7s in all. Your other option would be to take a BTEC in Engineering but even then you might need A level Maths. A foundation level wont prepare you for what you want to take in future. It might be harsh but maybe you ought to look at something less Mathematical than Engineering if you are not good at Maths
I would reconsider changing to Higher Maths but I just feel like I don't have enough time to revise all the content and Maths is definitely one of my weak points.
Last edited by Legitboss123; 5 months ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would reconsider changing to Higher Maths but I just feel like I don't have enough time to revise all the content and Maths is definitely one of my weak points.
Engineering is basically Maths and if it is your weak point I really would look at something else instead. To be able to cope with A level Maths you need to be good at it. A grade 7 is adviseable although you might get away with a 6. To take sciences at A level you need to be good at Maths
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I wouldn't want to do Chemistry A level from a 4 in GCSE.
Legitboss123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
I wouldn't want to do Chemistry A level from a 4 in GCSE.
what do you mean
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It is a hard A level so if you are at grade 4 standard - unless there is a good reason why the 4 wasn't a true reflection of your ability - it is unlikely to lead to the sort of grade you are going to need for uni
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Entry requirements are there for a reason - if you start an A level with a poor GCSE grade then your chances of dropping out/failing it is much higher. Regardless of the minimum requirements at your chosen college, I'd say all the subjects you've chosen are going to be really hard unless you can get a 7 and doing even better would obviously be a good thing - particularly for Maths. I've known people get an 8 and still struggle with A level.
amwalsh_
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
further to what everyone above has said, if you can't get a 6, if not 7+ in a subject, then you probably shouldn't be taking it. and its basically impossible to do engineering without maths, so either do higher maths and get a 7+, or you might need to reassess your career/future plans.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.82%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (908)
42.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.39%

Watched Threads