I hallucinate if I see lightning

Watch
CelinaBrown
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm 17 and I'm so darn afraid of lightning. I once had a dream I was struck by it and burnt and then I woke up from the dream and stayed away from windows or going outside (in my place it is very rainy) for a week. My parents think it is some joke and every time I hear thunder and lightning, I hear people laughing at me. What the hell is wrong with me?
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by CelinaBrown)
I'm 17 and I'm so darn afraid of lightning. I once had a dream I was struck by it and burnt and then I woke up from the dream and stayed away from windows or going outside (in my place it is very rainy) for a week. My parents think it is some joke and every time I hear thunder and lightning, I hear people laughing at me. What the hell is wrong with me?
nothing. you have a phobia of lightning. Its normal. Just try and ignore everyone. Where you the one with the issue of medicine vs. art (parents want medicine, you want art)
CelinaBrown
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wannabevetnurse)
nothing. you have a phobia of lightning. Its normal. Just try and ignore everyone. Where you the one with the issue of medicine vs. art (parents want medicine, you want art)
medicine? I don't know if there's a medicine for phobias
Wannabevetnurse
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
you could try therapy

did you create another thread (My over-protective parents going to far)
CelinaBrown
Rep:
?
you could try therapy

did you create another thread (My over-protective parents going to far)
no
Wannabevetnurse
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
no
try and face your fear by listening to noises on YT
CelinaBrown
Rep:
?
try and face your fear by listening to noises on YT
Thanks
Bilbocat
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In therapy for phobias they often use CBT. You start small and then build up until you can handle your phobia. I'm no psychologist but if you want to try and use self-help you could create a plan. Maybe something like this:
1) Repeat words associated with lightning over and over out loud
2) Look at photos of lightning
3) Watch videos of lightning with no sound
4) Listen to sounds of lightning
5) Listen and watch a video of lightning
6) The final task would be to stand next to a window and look out at a storm in a real-life situation
You could always add extra steps if you feel one is too big of a jump.
The aim of these tasks is for you to monitor your level of fear/anxiety. When you first start the task note down out of 10 your anxiety levels. Repeat the task (for example the repeated words) until you notice your fear go down on its own. You can successfully say you've completed a task and move onto the next once your fear level has gone down to 1 or 2. The key is to practise a little but often and go back to previous tasks to make sure it doesn't get worse again.
Again, I am not a psychologist but I have experienced CBT for a phobia and now I can deal with it and get on with important things in life.
Hope this helps
Bilbocat
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh and also, there's nothing wrong with you. People can have phobias about anything (I've heard about phobias of buttons!) and people shouldn't laugh at you for it. If it gets really bad it can become very easy to just start avoiding any situation where they could be a chance where your phobia could appear. The best thing (although it is difficult) is to face up to it gradually (see my other comment). The worst thing you can do is avoid it
CelinaBrown
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I will be sure to try this out.
username5301604
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don't listen to them. A lightning phobia is real and I am sorry you have to go through it.

Have you considered hypnotherapy? It would be a perfect help in your scenario (IMO).
Last edited by username5301604; 4 months ago
CelinaBrown
Rep:
?
(Original post by Synergy_)
Don't listen to them. A lightning phobia is real and I am sorry you have to go through it.

Have you considered hypnotherapy? It would be a perfect help in your scenario (IMO).
I can't contact anyone for any therapy, I don't have a phone. My parents don't really believe in phobias so if I told them then they would probably start laughing again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.93%
I'm not sure (32)
4.74%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
31.56%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (321)
47.56%

Watched Threads