Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
ive always struggled with mental health. i guess i first started displaying issues around age 8 (?) started off with aggression and periods of mania - this over the years left me with a diagnosis of depression, anxiety, autism, and the possibility for a bipolar diagnosis - great! followed by years of self harm - which my parents (and apparently entire family) found out about from my school when my friend reported me ??

but even though i have these diagnosis's, my parents seem to ignore my issues? i havent been to therapy regarding depression in over a year, i think i need to go back, but my parents just dont think im depressed, which wouldnt be an issue but given my problems, im too scared to do it myself, and id need them to take me and authorise stuff - which sucks cos i think i need it now more than ever. im not doing well in school, my grades slipping, friendships loosening, will to live fully depleting. i need help but i dont know how to do this anymore.
TheDregOfSociety
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Breathe. Speak to a professional; if you can't see a doctor, use childline, it's anonymous if that is what makes you comfortable.

The only piece of advice I can give is to be curious about your feelings. Observe them from the third person. Question what made you feel this and why. Detach yourself from the emotion; that way you don't identify as, for example, an 'angry' person.

Slow down. Pick up that phone. Care for your future self. Your decisions either benefits or harms the future you.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Get a grip on reality and grow up. Who agrees?
i agree myself. that’s not the issue. i want to grow up and be able to live in reality but what don’t you see that i can’t? i didn’t choose for my head to work like this
elijahhume
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
ive always struggled with mental health. i guess i first started displaying issues around age 8 (?) started off with aggression and periods of mania - this over the years left me with a diagnosis of depression, anxiety, autism, and the possibility for a bipolar diagnosis - great! followed by years of self harm - which my parents (and apparently entire family) found out about from my school when my friend reported me ??

but even though i have these diagnosis's, my parents seem to ignore my issues? i havent been to therapy regarding depression in over a year, i think i need to go back, but my parents just dont think im depressed, which wouldnt be an issue but given my problems, im too scared to do it myself, and id need them to take me and authorise stuff - which sucks cos i think i need it now more than ever. im not doing well in school, my grades slipping, friendships loosening, will to live fully depleting. i need help but i dont know how to do this anymore.
A lack of support like that can be a real burden, I've experienced similar situations such as the one you are - however, not as drastic. You need to put yourself first and do whatever you need to do to ensure your comfort, safety, and health. Only you can take the initiative for yourself, and it's a big leap to take - but it's essential. The thing about the professional council is you're the only one who knows if you need it or not - your parents can't tell you if you do or don't. It's your mental health, and if you're serious about thinking you need some help on that front then you ought to put your foot down with your parents and tell them you do need it. Self-care is the most important form of help you're going to need to give throughout the duration of your life, and there's no harm in acknowledging that. I know you've got it in you to take the steps you need to take, it's just a matter of taking them. Seek whatever you need, I wish you the best of luck.
CelinaBrown
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
To suddenly get a grip isn't easy. Mental health is a real issue you know and can be life changing.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by CelinaBrown)
To suddenly get a grip isn't easy. Mental health is a real issue you know and can be life changing.
Cool story bro.
Issakatie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You can't suddenly choose to be mentally okay, the same as you can't suddenly choose to wish away physical health problems. Mental health problems can be just as detrimental to someone as physical health problems, as you can see OP has been badly affected in multiple facets of their life. OP try and seek help, you can find a lot of online counselling or therapy or child lines as someone suggested. Or you can tell your doctor who can recommend you / give you contact to therapy / psychologist.

CelinaBrown
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Issakatie)
You can't suddenly choose to be mentally okay, the same as you can't suddenly choose to wish away physical health problems. Mental health problems can be just as detrimental to someone as physical health problems, as you can see OP has been badly affected in multiple facets of their life. OP try and seek help, you can find a lot of online counselling or therapy or child lines as someone suggested. Or you can tell your doctor who can recommend you / give you contact to therapy / psychologist.
She's right. Mental health is no joke.
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What a pathetic response to someone reaching out and asking for help. People like you make me physically sick and it's people like you which prevents people from talking about their issues and getting some help. How about you get a grip and come off anon? Absolute prick.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Fermion.)
What a pathetic response to someone reaching out and asking for help. People like you make me physically sick and it's people like you which prevents people from talking about their issues and getting some help. How about you get a grip and come off anon? Absolute prick.
Ooh.. Now who's being the pathetic one. How dare you call me the P word, you don't know who I am, what I've been through. Nobody was there for me when I needed help. I asked a question on here and nobody bothered replying. So think before you speak next time. Don't judge a book by its cover.
schildkroten
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
that's true what a moron
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
Cool story bro.
You actually disgust me
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ooh.. Now who's being the pathetic one. How dare you call me the P word, you don't know who I am, what I've been through. Nobody was there for me when I needed help. I asked a question on here and nobody bothered replying. So think before you speak next time. Don't judge a book by its cover.
Lmao maybe the reason nobody was there for you is because you act like a keyboard warrior behind anonymous. No wonder. Couldn't give a **** about your life story. If you don't have anything nice to say then shut the **** up.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So you now think it's OK to minimise other people's problems? That's not gonna get you the support you need.
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by schildkroten)
that's true what a moron
Yep. Nobody listen to that idiot's advice. If you're going through mental health issues don't just "get a grip and face reality" - go out and get seek some professional help.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
Lmao maybe the reason nobody was there for you is because you act like a keyboard warrior behind anonymous. No wonder. Couldn't give a **** about your life story. If you don't have anything nice to say then shut the **** up.
You're a number one b.i.t.c.h! I also don't give a **** about you or you life. Take a leave out of your own book and consider what you call others next time.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Pathway)
So you now think it's OK to minimise other people's problems? That's not gonna get you the support you need.
Ah, the only thing I need is heroin. It's my only friend.
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You're a number one b.i.t.c.h! I also don't give a **** about you or you life. Take a leave out of your own book and consider what you call others next time.
Hahahaha anyone can say anything to anyone behind the anonymous function. Your advice can literally kill someone so **** off. Nobody wants you on this thread. You're an actual moron like someone said a few posts above.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
Hahahaha anyone can say anything to anyone behind the anonymous function. Your advice can literally kill someone so **** off. Nobody wants you on this thread. You're an actual moron like someone said a few posts above.
That maybe, but I do wish the OP well and hope she has a speedy recover. As for you, people like you are heartless, vain and immature.

I apologise to the OP.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ah, the only thing I need is heroin. It's my only friend.
Okay, well, that's your choice. I hope you seek professional help before something happens to you. I've lost two people to H OD's, it's not a good way to go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.67%
I'm not sure (8)
2.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (105)
34.31%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.31%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.1%

Watched Threads