The Student Room Group

Pregnant and enquiring as to undergraduate maintenance loan

Hi,

I’m a mature student who is current finishing her first year at university. I’m 15 weeks pregnant and have been advised by my university that I should consider suspending my studies for a year due to covid risk. covid-19 means I have been unable to be at work enough weeks so am not eligible for maternity pay or allowance, would I be able to keep getting my maintenance loan for 12 months until I am able to resume my studies the next academic year? If I don’t receive my loan then I will be unable to pay my rent.

Thanks in advance
Original post by lollopollo
Hi,

I’m a mature student who is current finishing her first year at university. I’m 15 weeks pregnant and have been advised by my university that I should consider suspending my studies for a year due to covid risk. covid-19 means I have been unable to be at work enough weeks so am not eligible for maternity pay or allowance, would I be able to keep getting my maintenance loan for 12 months until I am able to resume my studies the next academic year? If I don’t receive my loan then I will be unable to pay my rent.

Thanks in advance

Hi there, if you suspended your studies then your funding will also stop. It is possible to receive funding during a suspension but only if you are in extreme financial hardship and can prove this, and this is only granted in rare circumstances.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, if you suspended your studies then your funding will also stop. It is possible to receive funding during a suspension but only if you are in extreme financial hardship and can prove this, and this is only granted in rare circumstances.
Thanks, Isaac

I would consider the fact that I will have a newborn baby and would have no money coming in to pay anything (due to a pandemic) constitutes financial hardship so what would I need to provide in order to be considered for continuation of funds?

Thanks in advance
Reply 3
I would consider the fact that I will have a newborn baby and would have no money coming in to pay anything (due to a pandemic) constitutes financial hardship so what would I need to provide in order to be considered for continuation of funds?

Thanks in advance

Also should add, I’m a mature student so maintenance loan is awarded due to my financial position not that of parents. I have no option to return to my parents for help.

Thanks in advance

Also should add, I’m a mature student so maintenance loan is awarded due to my financial position not that of parents. I have no option to return to my parents for help.

There is no guarantee of receiving funds while suspended, it's very rare for us to offer this and only if someone is in extreme financial hardship.

If your application is suspended then you can call us or message us on Twitter/Facebook and ask for your account to be referred to the financial hardship team for an "FH3" form and then our financial hardship team will contact you.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest