The Student Room Group

My college cancelled my a level subjects and i dont know what to do

So, i got an email from my college today and a very long list of A levels have been cancelled. 2 out of my 3 included (History and english lit+lang)
The subjects left are
Applied law
business
criminology
economics
literature
psychology
sociology
im already doing psychology and I would like to be a clinical psychologist and do a degree at uni. I'm thinking about replacing english lit +lang and history with Sociology and English lit??
idk so any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated!!
Original post by VE_04
So, i got an email from my college today and a very long list of A levels have been cancelled. 2 out of my 3 included (History and english lit+lang)
The subjects left are
Applied law
business
criminology
economics
literature
psychology
sociology
im already doing psychology and I would like to be a clinical psychologist and do a degree at uni. I'm thinking about replacing english lit +lang and history with Sociology and English lit??
idk so any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated!!

Do you have to go to that College, or is there another one you could look at which offers the subjects you actually want to study?
I imagine you might need Biology to get in for most Psychology degrees?

What made you decide to be a clinical psychologist, by the way? Have you done some work experience somewhere? It's just that clinical psychologist takes some of the most years to become. You might need a PhD unless I'm mistaken(?). In other words, you'd have to commit to the subject for a very, very long time.
Hi there!

I would definitely consider taking English Literature seeing as you were already going to take Literature and Language, unless you particularly wanted to take English Language as well. Personally, I found English Literature very facilitating and although taking it at A-Level is definitely a massive step up from GCSE, with some determination it is fairly easy to adjust to once you master the assessment objectives.

As for Sociology I think this would also be a good subject that compliments your Psychology A-Level quite nicely. In my year, Sociology was a very popular subject and the majority thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a shame that History is no longer being offered but if you want to be a clinical psychologist then I, personally, don't see it as a necessary subject to have in order to undertake your future degree.

I think that English Literature, Psychology and Sociology is a nice combination of subjects to have. My only point would be to consider that both Psychology and Sociology are typically 'new' subjects that you can study at A-Level that you may not have studied at GCSE. This means that you don't already know whether you will enjoy these new subjects but I wouldn't worry about that too much unless you are completely happy to take them.

If you did decide to take History and English Literature and Language, are there other colleges near you that will be able to provide them?
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m going on to do psychology at uni and my a levels were psych, socio and eng lang so the subjects you’re thinking of doing instead would be alright, plus I’d imagine literature is more highly viewed than language. But if you want to stick with your original chosen subjects then is there another college/sixth form centre you could go to? The options seem very limited at that college
What a **** list of subjects for a college to offer, there aren't any facilitating subjects on there required to enter some degree programmes...
Reply 6
Psychology degrees often require you to have taken a Science at A level, generally Biology. Does your college not offer Science or Maths?
Original post by Quick-use
I imagine you might need Biology to get in for most Psychology degrees?

What made you decide to be a clinical psychologist, by the way? Have you done some work experience somewhere? It's just that clinical psychologist takes some of the most years to become. You might need a PhD unless I'm mistaken(?). In other words, you'd have to commit to the subject for a very, very long time.

You don’t need biology to study psychology. Most universities do ask or prefer for a science subject to have been taken though but psychology is included as a science. A few unis may give lower offers if you are studying two sciences but I’ve only come across two universities when I was researching for my university.
I took Psychology, geography and English Lit to study psychology and I got interviewed at Cambridge and offers at 5 Russell groups.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest