The Student Room Group

New pets?

With everyone in lockdown I think a lot of people have gotten new pets! I finally committed to getting a mouse. Did anyone else get a new addition?
20200608_225430.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmCharles
With everyone in lockdown I think a lot of people have gotten new pets! I finally committed to getting a mouse. Did anyone else get a new addition?
20200608_225430.jpg

I have 2 guinea pigs :smile:
20200608_225430.jpg

i have a gecko and will be getting 2 male kittens for my birthday which is on sunday!!! :smile:
Mouses are horrible creatures, but that's my opinion. I have got two cats which I owned before the lockdown, so no I never got any new pets.
Original post by Blue Diamond2
Mouses are horrible creatures, but that's my opinion. I have got two cats which I owned before the lockdown, so no I never got any new pets.

however I have found domesticated rats to be lovely pets.
most people find rats to be horrifying when in fact they are the sweetest and most fun pets
Reply 5
I recently got a new fish tank, which I need to get another betta and some plecos for sometime in the future :tongue:
Original post by sophiagrego
however I have found domesticated rats to be lovely pets.
most people find rats to be horrifying when in fact they are the sweetest and most fun pets

I've never actually owned one so I wouldn't know if they're sweet and innocent, I'll just take your word for it. But, there is a reason Tom chases Jerry.
He's adorable :love: Ignore the negative comments, as a fellow rodent owner people are so prejudice to anything that isn't a conventional cat or dog, if people said the same things we hear (wishing death on them etc) about those animals everyone would be up in arms :rolleyes:

To answer your question i do have a new addition :biggrin: i was always planning on getting another hamster once i graduated but it happened to be in lockdown so i had to wait a few extra weeks until the distancing measures were relaxed a bit, he's called isaac :colondollar:

I have 2 guinea pigs :smile:

Solid choice :five:
I've never actually owned one so I wouldn't know if they're sweet and innocent, I'll just take your word for it. But, there is a reason Tom chases Jerry.

hahaha
well, I do not actually own any. I volunteer on a farm and they have both livestock and domesticated animals, including rats. They are for sure one of my favorite animals there! (we do not get a lot of time to play with them as we are usually cleaning however when we do, I love them)
hahaha
well, I do not actually own any. I volunteer on a farm and they have both livestock and domesticated animals, including rats. They are for sure one of my favorite animals there! (we do not get a lot of time to play with them as we are usually cleaning however when we do, I love them)

That's good to know, I'm sure they can be cute animals, but society deems them disgusting and therefore I believe they are such. Also, it's good work on a farm, I've had a few relatives (who I never knew) that worked as farm labourers.
Reply 10
Hahahahaha great! I already have 2 dogs and fish. But they live with my parents...I wanted a little pet of my own. Rats are a huge time and space commitment though, so Hamish it was. I have had cats, guineas, rabbits, rats and hamsters before! I started getting pets at the age of 3 lol.
I love Isaac btw!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
He's called Steve.

Reply 12
Original post by AM.TSR
He's called Steve.

Beautiful. Is that a human child?
Reply 13
Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 19.55.42.jpg
Original post by AM.TSR
He's called Steve.

he is stunning
That's good to know, I'm sure they can be cute animals, but society deems them disgusting and therefore I believe they are such. Also, it's good work on a farm, I've had a few relatives (who I never knew) that worked as farm labourers.

well, in all honesty, the wild rats are filthy and carry diseases. You would have to make sure that they are completely domesticated and safe.
This is what they genuinely look like:
(most people would say ew however you can see that they are genuinely harmless and could not hurt you)

https://www.google.com/search?q=domesticated+rat&safe=strict&sxsrf=ALeKk033QHyME5ZtfEIDk7RFHWS7xZOPDg:1592247482733&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjU7-iMwITqAhWuRBUIHXx4DmAQ_AUoAXoECBkQAw&biw=1536&bih=706#imgrc=pXhqR8jJ7yLp1M
Original post by AM.TSR
He's called Steve.

And finally, there's proof aliens do exist. But, where is the doctor?
Reply 17
Original post by macy_m
Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 19.55.42.jpg

Omg your horse is stunning!
well, in all honesty, the wild rats are filthy and carry diseases. You would have to make sure that they are completely domesticated and safe.
This is what they genuinely look like:
(most people would say ew however you can see that they are genuinely harmless and could not hurt you)

https://www.google.com/search?q=domesticated+rat&safe=strict&sxsrf=ALeKk033QHyME5ZtfEIDk7RFHWS7xZOPDg:1592247482733&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjU7-iMwITqAhWuRBUIHXx4DmAQ_AUoAXoECBkQAw&biw=1536&bih=706#imgrc=pXhqR8jJ7yLp1M

IMG-20200207-WA0011.jpg
These are my nephews. Badger, scrumpy and cheddar. I miss them 😭😭😭
(edited 3 years ago)
Beautiful. Is that a human child?

he is stunning

Thank you, he somehow got his looks from this other underwater creature.

Spoiler

And finally, there's proof aliens do exist. But, where is the doctor?

Steve is a doctor.
Hahahahaha great! I already have 2 dogs and fish. But they live with my parents...I wanted a little pet of my own. Rats are a huge time and space commitment though, so Hamish it was. I have had cats, guineas, rabbits, rats and hamsters before! I started getting pets at the age of 3 lol.
I love Isaac btw!!!

Awww hamish is such a cute name :biggrin: does he have a friend? yeh they really need huge cages :eek: people underestimate how much work goes into rodents tbh

Just because society sees them that way doesnt mean you have to follow that narrative, it's not people disliking them that is the problem - everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's when people use language like disgusting or horrible, it's just unnecessary. A step further is when people wish death on your animals which unfortunately is extremely common, you get people telling you to kill them, to eat them (common with guinea pigs because they eat them in peru - as if GP owners dont already know that) or to 'burn them with fire' (especially common for tarantula and reptile keepers). I don't like cats and find dogs quite scary in person, i don't go around wishing death on them however, if i posted on a dog picture 'mmm tasty' like how people do on hamster photos, there would be an uproar.

Quick Reply

Latest