The Student Room Group

When it comes to picking a course-should I follow my head or my heart?

Hi there! So I’m looking at applying for uni in autumn for 2021 entry and I’m really in two minds about what to study. I’m a really keen classical musician and music has been a huge part of my life for the last 10 years, performing in national ensembles and going to Saturday music school for the last 4 years. However, I acknowledge a career in music and really the “arts” in general is kinda considered risky business and my career advisor at school has tried to sway me away from the idea. I think after the coronavirus pandemic areas like the arts are going to be hit pretty badly too so it would probably make employment even more scarce then it already is(ps I definitely DON’T want to be a music teacher so that rules out a lot of music based careers!)

On the other hand I LOVE science particularly biology so I’m thinking along the lines of either medicine, veterinary or biomedical science. Now because I’ve been somewhat vague about what career direction to follow for a while I’ve covered the necessary work experience for all areas(medicine-2 weeks on a children’s ward, 1 week shadowing in A&E, 2 days in a GP, 2 years volunteering in a care home. Veterinary-2 weeks in a small animal practice,1 week in a large animal practice, 3 weeks lambing, 5 days at a wild animal park, 3 months volunteering at a cattery and 1 week at a zoo.) I know that following these more academic careers would be the more sensible and stable thing to do and not only that I do love the subject area and would love to continue my studies in any of these fields.

If anyone has any advice whether to follow my heart and stick with my “talent” or to go with the “sensible” option which I think I’d also enjoy, I’d really appreciate it:smile:))
Hey!!

Honestly I think that medical/veterinary degree is better and trust me I'm really not trying to put you off from following your talent but as you said due to the coronavirus , subjects in the art field are going to suffer just a bit. I'm also going to say that subjects like art or music can be very risky - you can either excel at it and be very successful or constantly be rejected and that's really not going to take you anywhere. I'm not saying that any wish-to-be artists or musicians or anything like that should just disregard their dream and think about doing something in the 'proper' world of work but it can be quite tough to find exactly what you want to do and also actually be able to do it. I don't know if that makes any sense and the decision is totally up to you at the end but I hope this helps :smile:
Follow your heart and trust your gut instincts.
Original post by anisha211
Hey!!

Honestly I think that medical/veterinary degree is better and trust me I'm really not trying to put you off from following your talent but as you said due to the coronavirus , subjects in the art field are going to suffer just a bit. I'm also going to say that subjects like art or music can be very risky - you can either excel at it and be very successful or constantly be rejected and that's really not going to take you anywhere. I'm not saying that any wish-to-be artists or musicians or anything like that should just disregard their dream and think about doing something in the 'proper' world of work but it can be quite tough to find exactly what you want to do and also actually be able to do it. I don't know if that makes any sense and the decision is totally up to you at the end but I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! It’s so useful to hear everyone’s thoughts! I think you’re probably right too! :smile:
Original post by anaindiemood
Hi there! So I’m looking at applying for uni in autumn for 2021 entry and I’m really in two minds about what to study. I’m a really keen classical musician and music has been a huge part of my life for the last 10 years, performing in national ensembles and going to Saturday music school for the last 4 years. However, I acknowledge a career in music and really the “arts” in general is kinda considered risky business and my career advisor at school has tried to sway me away from the idea. I think after the coronavirus pandemic areas like the arts are going to be hit pretty badly too so it would probably make employment even more scarce then it already is(ps I definitely DON’T want to be a music teacher so that rules out a lot of music based careers!)

On the other hand I LOVE science particularly biology so I’m thinking along the lines of either medicine, veterinary or biomedical science. Now because I’ve been somewhat vague about what career direction to follow for a while I’ve covered the necessary work experience for all areas(medicine-2 weeks on a children’s ward, 1 week shadowing in A&E, 2 days in a GP, 2 years volunteering in a care home. Veterinary-2 weeks in a small animal practice,1 week in a large animal practice, 3 weeks lambing, 5 days at a wild animal park, 3 months volunteering at a cattery and 1 week at a zoo.) I know that following these more academic careers would be the more sensible and stable thing to do and not only that I do love the subject area and would love to continue my studies in any of these fields.

If anyone has any advice whether to follow my heart and stick with my “talent” or to go with the “sensible” option which I think I’d also enjoy, I’d really appreciate it:smile:))

Hey, I followed my head and not my heart and regret it bitterly. I was good at creative writing but was persuaded to study chemistry at uni because chemistry had better job prospects. I hated the chemistry course and did not enjoy my time at uni. I ended up taking a job in human resources so I did not need my chemistry degree for that job anyway!

I always wonder what it would have been like to go to university and study creative writing. Absolutely the chances of me becoming another JK Rowling were next to zero but at least I would have lived my dream. I am now doing a creative writing course at the OU just for the fun of it and loving every minute of it!

Follow your passion - go to music!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending