Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Why are less academic students barred from going to Oxford or Cambridge? That is a prejudice agains low grades when not everyone can achieve the high grades. If we are all equal then lesser able students should be able to go to oxford. They have something to offer too, not everything is in books.

People who go to oxford can become politicians and actors. Other people don't get these opportynuiies. But if we allow lower grade students into oxford this will help this divide. I believe allowing only high grades into Oxford is elitism and inequality. An equal world would not have prejudices against less academic students.
ta97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
well... life is unfair so deal with it.

People with high academic grades/achievements deserve to be rewarded with furthering their education at the best institutes. For people with lower grades, there's other options. University isn't the be all and end all to life anyway.

You seem like the kinda person who'd want to hand out medals to everyone just for competing
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ta97)

People with high academic grades/achievements deserve to be rewarded with furthering their education at the best institutes. For people with lower grades, there's other options. University isn't the be all and end all to life anyway.

You seem like the kinda person who'd want to hand out medals to everyone just for competing
I'm talking about equality and prejudice. Oxford is prejuiced against lower grade students and are missing vital people at their univiersity and in high positions in life because of this.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why are less academic students barred from going to Oxford or Cambridge? That is a prejudice agains low grades when not everyone can achieve the high grades. If we are all equal then lesser able students should be able to go to oxford. They have something to offer too, not everything is in books.

People who go to oxford can become politicians and actors. Other people don't get these opportynuiies. But if we allow lower grade students into oxford this will help this divide. I believe allowing only high grades into Oxford is elitism and inequality. An equal world would not have prejudices against less academic students.
Are you actually being serious? It's difficult to tell at the moment on TSR whether something so obviously ridiculous is trolling, or just seriously deluded.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
Are you actually being serious? It's difficult to tell at the moment on TSR whether something so obviously ridiculous is trolling, or just seriously deluded.
I'm extremely serious. You cannot discriminate on race, on gender, on sexuality, but you can with grades? That doesn't make sense if you support that all people are equal. They got those high grades because they were born cleverer, some are born less smart but we should all have the same chances in life.
ta97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm extremely serious. You cannot discriminate on race, on gender, on sexuality, but you can with grades? That doesn't make sense if you support that all people are equal. They got those high grades because they were born cleverer, some are born less smart but we should all have the same chances in life.
ever heard the saying that life is unfair?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The shops have now reopened - and many will be recruiting. Take a look!
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
my IQ has dropped by 20 points because of this thread
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you cannot control your race, nor sexuality, nor sex. those three characteristics are protected by the law from discrimination.

you can control your grades.

why would oxford/cambridge have any interest in admitting someone who will struggle to get a 3rd class honours degree, if that even?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ta97)

But isn't it interesting how a significant chunk of students attending Oxbridge come from private schools.

Can you really say that those achieving a place at Oxbridge are deserving if they have been coached into that place since the age of 5?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you make a fair point although your idea of being discriminated against based on grades kind of puts pay to competition of all types.

I suppose the question more pertinent is why do you need a degree that says Oxford or Cambridge on it? Is it because discrimination happens further down the line with opportunities given to those wearing the correct tie to their interview?

Maybe that is the issue? Having universities wishibg to educate the best is no bad thing so long as wuality further education of one sort or another is accessible to all.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I think you make a fair point although your idea of being discriminated against based on grades kind of puts pay to competition of all types.

I suppose the question more pertinent is why do you need a degree that says Oxford or Cambridge on it? Is it because discrimination happens further down the line with opportunities given to those wearing the correct tie to their interview?

Maybe that is the issue? Having universities wishibg to educate the best is no bad thing so long as wuality further education of one sort or another is accessible to all.
It is available to all - anyone can apply.

This identity politics narrative you're rehearsing (again) on this thread is so tired and old-fashioned. It's a bit 1970s.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why are less academic students barred from going to Oxford or Cambridge? That is a prejudice agains low grades when not everyone can achieve the high grades.
Oxford Brookes and Anglia Ruskin.

If we are all equal then lesser able students should be able to go to oxford.
If we're all equal, there are no "lesser able" students.

I actually think that anyone is capable of Oxbridge-level study (other elite universities exist), but that many are either not sufficiently motivated, or have been stopped by poor teaching / parenting, friends, etc.

People who go to oxford can become politicians and actors. Other people don't get these opportynuiies.
Almost half of all British PMs didn't go to Oxford!

I believe allowing only high grades into Oxford is elitism and inequality. An equal world would not have prejudices against less academic students.
We should also get stupid people to design rockets, airplanes, and medical equipment ..

What do you do when they all fail their first year?
Last edited by RogerOxon; 4 weeks ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We ban discrimination based on (some) characteristics that are irrelevant. Grades are extremely relevant to demonstrating your ability to understand challenging material. Less able students would fail.

IMO, YOU can influence your "smartness" by pushing to really understand your subjects. I spent a lot of time during my 'A' level years thinking about mathematics, and my ability really took off. You can do the same, but you have to really push yourself. Many people just can't be bothered to be clever.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
It is available to all - anyone can apply.

This identity politics narrative you're rehearsing (again) on this thread is so tired and old-fashioned. It's a bit 1970s.
Agreed. Anyone can apply. But the OP was suggesting that perhaps potential should be considered rather than set a high bar. Its a fair point. Many will disagree.

What identity politics am I playing. You will have to excuse my ignorance but that term isn't one that I am that familiar with. It seems to be levelled at anyone the accuser feels should crawl back to where they came from.

Is Marcus Rashford playing identity politics in highlighting child poverty?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But the OP was suggesting that perhaps potential should be considered rather than set a high bar. Its a fair point. Many will disagree.
Oxford does assess potential, which is why the entry requirements are relatively low. You will find that some other universities have higher entry requirements, e.g. Imperial.

The problem is that there is only so much ground that can be made-up over three years.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But isn't it interesting how a significant chunk of students attending Oxbridge come from private schools.

Can you really say that those achieving a place at Oxbridge are deserving if they have been coached into that place since the age of 5?
Would you rather students that take education seriously, and have consistently worked to understand, or those that haven't?

Oxford does assess academic potential as well as current ability. How many other universities do? Frankly, the OP should have a problem with the universities that don't interview and the schools that fail their students.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
despite the blinding positivity on this site - not everyone is smart enough to go to a top university.

you can get into a university for a course with most combinations of grades these days so it's in a way fairer than ever.
Last edited by _gcx; 4 weeks ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

To take a slightly different tack to some of the other posters - why would a student who gets low grades (for non-personal/contextualising reasons) want to go to Oxbridge or another top university? Surely the point is that you want to study that course, be in a like minded academic community, and enjoy academic study - if you don't do well at A level, you probably won't enjoy going to a really academic university and doing a really academic course.
Plus, Oxbridge are not the only gatekeepers of social mobility and opportunity...
Last edited by becausethenight; 4 weeks ago
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
The problem is that there is only so much ground that can be made-up over three years.
I would say that is a problem to overcome rather than a constraint.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (53)
8.75%
Confident (80)
13.2%
Indifferent (85)
14.03%
Unsure (156)
25.74%
Worried (232)
38.28%

Watched Threads