How my a levels link to a law degree

Watch
Jesscruzx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I am currently taking criminology , history and travel and tourism as A levels . I know how history and criminology may possible link as they enhance my source analysis and research etc but I don’t know what to say about travel because it doesn’t link . Do u just leave it out ? Thankyou
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You shouldn’t be wasting space in your ps talking about your curriculum.

Your ps should be about your personal interests in the degree you’re applying for.

Teachers ask for this “relate your subjects to your degree” nonsense to fill space not because it’s useful
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
@PQ Awh right okay , thought it shows why you’d be ideal ? Thankyou btw
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jesscruzx)
@PQ Awh right okay , thought it shows why you’d be ideal ? Thankyou btw
Admissions staff can see your qualifications in your application and understand what different subjects are beneficial. There’s no need for you to waste space telling them something they already know.
AM.TSR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Talk about the skills which you've acquired and how they're applicable to Law.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
@PQ Awh right okay thanks !
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
@AM.TSR as in any skills like academically or? Thanks
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by AM.TSR)
Talk about the skills which you've acquired and how they're applicable to Law.
Why? Law is an academic degree. Academic skills are assessed based on the qualifications studied and grades achieved and from the contents of an academic reference.

A law PS should focus on academic interests and specific areas of law and topics that an applicant is hoping to study. There’s no need to waste space that could be used for something personal and specific to talk about something that isn’t required for the course.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
@PQ something personal like what ? Do they not wanna see other things other than just the interest etc ps need variety right not just one reason ?
louisemisexo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
you inhale a adjusticement
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
@louisemisexo idk wha tha means
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
@PQ something personal like what ? Do they not wanna see other things other than just the interest etc ps need variety right not just one reason ?
Personal like your specific interests and what you’ve done/read/watched/listened to to find out more about the legal topics that interest you. What you enjoyed reading/etc, what you found difficult/challenging, what surprised you etc etc.

Details about what you are interested in academically. The specifics and the details make it personal and demonstrate your motivation and interest in your chosen degree.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
@PQ do I mention which type of law I would want to go into , thanks by the way for all the help
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
@PQ do I mention which type of law I would want to go into , thanks by the way for all the help
I wouldn’t. Usually statements about graduate careers cone across as naive at best. You don’t know what you will want to do in 4 years time right now. Focus on what you think sounds interesting to study next year.

Remember that the people teaching law degrees have taken an LLB, usually also an LLM and. PhD in the academic study of law. And then they have chosen to dedicate their careers to research and teaching academic law. Law academics are NOT (in the main) solicitors or barristers. While law degrees are a pathway into those careers they aren’t a vocational degree.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
@PQ okay great so just include stuff like extra reading interests etc .. sometimes it feels like if u include about reading tho it’s too similar to every one else’s ps
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
@PQ okay great so just include stuff like extra reading interests etc .. sometimes it feels like if u include about reading tho it’s too similar to every one else’s ps
That’s why it’s important to read into what you find interesting and include your own reactions to what you read. Don’t just list the obvious - give yourself time to get lost in research and reading/online lectures etc. That genuine interest and enthusiasm will come through when you write about what you’ve been doing if you’re following your genuine curiosity
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
@PQ okay great Thankyou so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads