adulter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
i have just completed my first year at hertfordshire studying pharmacy, with a 1st in 3 modules and 2:1 in 2 modules. is there any way for me to transfer into UCL for pharmacy?

my reason for this being:

a) i feel like i'd get better quality education at ucl,

b) social life - with societies being larger and taken more seriously. herts is more about clout and i dont know if i like that.
Manclass98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Transferring universities can be done, but maybe you should really think about whether or not it's the right thing for you to do. Firstly, Hertfordshire is a great uni! It was my top choice for a long time, that was until I found a uni closer to home that did the course I wanted (so maybe I'm biased lol), but I think saying you'll get a better education at UCL because of the social life really isn't what you should think about. Studying in London is SO expensive, and actually, the social life isn't any good either. I had plenty of friends also study in London, and transferred out after their first year as, unless you have the funds to live in a decent area and comfortably live, it really isn't worth the hassle and stress.

It also sounds like there could be an issue with the people you surround yourself with. Every uni has it's own cliques and groups, but it's about indulging in being around the right people in order to make your uni experience better. I personally don't think transferring to London will do any favours, or bring you a better education either. You even said yourself you've done really well in the first year - surely that reflects the level you're at currently? Being in London doesn't mean your uni experience is taken more seriously, things like societies and groups are something every uni can offer. As I say, I think you should perhaps think about the real reasons behind wanting to transfer. It sounds like you're already doing really well at Herts, and so moving could potentially jeopardise that. Hope this helps!
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by adulter)
i have just completed my first year at hertfordshire studying pharmacy, with a 1st in 3 modules and 2:1 in 2 modules. is there any way for me to transfer into UCL for pharmacy?

b) social life - with societies being larger and taken more seriously. herts is more about clout and i dont know if i like that.
You are studying for a vocational qualification. Unlike studying say Geography at uni where the content of the syllabus between one university and another will vary greatly depending on the interests of the teachers, for something like pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, the student all need to cover the same syllabus. Thus, swapping universities will not make a difference to the qualification you come out with.

Looking at the Guardian good university guide, UCL is ranked 34th and Hertfordshire is ranked 23rd so you are in a better pharmacy department anyway.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by adulter)

I somehow doubt it because UCL will still take your A level results into consideration alongside your first year grades. However, the only way to know for sure is to contact UCL Admissions and ask them directly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (8)
57.14%
No (5)
35.71%
I don't know (1)
7.14%

Watched Threads