am13.griff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi guys, I feel stupid asking this but can some please tell me how to defer an offer?
I really don't feel like this is my year to start university and leave home but I don't know how to go about taking a gap year. My college didn't even make it clear to us that deferring was an option, nevermind how to go about it .
captcrywolf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It depends. If you have applied through an application portal, there might be an option to accept/reject/defer. Or you could have received an offer letter with an embedded form about making a decision. You will have to fill it and send it to the concerned university. Just talk to the university about deferring if you don't have these two options.
Manclass98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by am13.griff)
Hi guys, I feel stupid asking this but can some please tell me how to defer an offer?
I really don't feel like this is my year to start university and leave home but I don't know how to go about taking a gap year. My college didn't even make it clear to us that deferring was an option, nevermind how to go about it .
Personally this isn't something that I've done myself, but when a friend of mine decided to defer, she spoke directly to the course leader and the higher academic staff about it. You should also get in touch with the admissions team at your uni, as they'll be the first ones to liaise with the right people to find you the info you need. Deferring is absolutely an option, but it will also depend on whether you university allows it, as most will ask you to reapply again next year instead of allowing you to keep you place open. I'd recommend speaking to admissions about it, as they'll have different rules for different uni's- you just may want to be prepared to apply again, should they not allow defferal. Hope this helps!
anaindiemood
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Quite often people have planned to defer so when making an application make it clear that they are applying as a gap year applicant. Under normal circumstances if you decided you wanted a gap year after applying you’d contact the university directly to try and arrange it, whether or not they’d accept your proposition is a different matter. However in the case of this year I think many more universities will be reluctant to let students defer because they know so many people will be wanting to do it so bear that in mind-it’ll make getting in next year all that much harder. You can withdraw your application on the UCAS portal but this means a complete withdrawal so you’ll have to reapply entirely next year- none of your places will be held
Last edited by anaindiemood; 5 months ago
jadefn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey, you may find this article useful on how to defer, it explains everything step by step https://www.whatuni.com/advice/coron...o-defer/88793/
tia2002rose
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I decided to defer a couple weeks ago, i just emailed the admissions of the uni and they sorted it for me, and changed my ucas
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.21%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.91%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
30.03%

Watched Threads