Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I never went to a school in UK, and my GCSE results are miserable,but i still have applied to Oxford and three medical degrees, what was I thinking off! Some people say that universities look at personal circumstances , but Im not so sure now!I worked very hard for my AS levels and I still asspire to get 3 A's in A2s , but its so depressing to think of my GCSE's and how they might affect me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by persian.royalty)
    I heard 8, but I think it's lies.
    I really think it is the case unfortunately. A close friend of mine had 7 and was rejected a couple of days ago. He requested feedback and LSE got back to him and made a point that his GCSEs weren't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE's were 4A* 2A and 6B and i've applied to Oxford. Nothing more than applied so technically it doesnt yet count but i'll let you know if i get any further. Applied for Geography so competition is mixed. Done great at AS and have 4 offers so GCSE's are somewhat meaningless. Might have been AS's or PS or reference.

I even got 2 B's in Leisure and Tourism :eek: but i shalln't bore you with why. Lets just say edexcels website was more useful than my teacher. I was the only one who passed so funnily enough I'm quite proud of that result

ReputationRep:
    With those grades, you have a fighting chance providing you get As in your A-Levels.

Oxbridge generally suggests considering them if you got at least 5 A/A* grades at GCSE (taking into consideration the school and so on)

What was the overall performance of your school ie. did you get the best results, make the top 10 etc?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They will. You need straight A*'s, if not you stand no chance whatsoever, your whole future university life and career is f*****d, you stand no chance, you'll be lucky to work at McDonalds...as a cleaner....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting you to say i got 3 D's 4 C's and 2 B's. Ha

ReputationRep:
    ******* loser.

ReputationRep:
    I get really annoyed with people who worry about minor things like this man =|
    **** course you'll get in. I have C's and D's at GCSE and your worrying about your GCSES? Jhez.
    Amount of people i see who cry because they have 50 A* at GCSE and 100 A's and A-level and worry about whether they're GCSES are crap.

ReputationRep:
    i got rejected from lse for law. they sent me an email saying my gcses weren't good enough. i got 7A*s and 3As.

ReputationRep:
    I'd put my house on the fact that the above is a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arsenalskydivers)
    i got rejected from lse for law. they sent me an email saying my gcses weren't good enough. i got 7A*s and 3As.
    OMG.
    Are you SERIOUS?
    I thought they didn't give reasons?

ReputationRep:
    Look yh i said at the start 'I am not saying my gcse results are bad or anything like that'. I'm happy with the results I got seeing as I did **** all revision for them. But I have heard you need really good gcse results for top couses at top unis like oxbridge, lse etc. So thats what I am getting scared about.

ReputationRep:
    see this thread scares me I have 2 B's 7 C's at Gcse but im only applying for social work at lesser uni's that want 16-220 points to get in. And im predicted 2 A's and a B at A level.

All those scared about those Gcse's with loads of A's holding them back don't need to wory. Im the one with no As or A*'s to my name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeseandbiscuits)
    Look yh i said at the start 'I am not saying my gcse results are bad or anything like that'. I'm happy with the results I got seeing as I did **** all revision for them. But I have heard you need really good gcse results for top couses at top unis like oxbridge, lse etc. So thats what I am getting scared about.

Dw lad, my brother's tutor is a selector at imperial... He's told me they don't care as much about GCSEs as they do about AS/A2 levels as that is where the 'real' work begins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by persian.royalty)
    OMG.
    Are you SERIOUS?
    I thought they didn't give reasons?
    Yeah they do. If you email them asking for feedback ([email protected]), you'll get some.

you'll need your ucas id no, full name, dob and course applied for. they should respond with feedback in a couple of days.

what're you applying for and where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pr0tégé)
    I'd put my house on the fact that the above is a lie.
    you'd have lost your house had that been in a legally binding contract.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your request for feedback on your application to LSE, dated 10 November.

The feedback we have received from the Admissions Tutor indicates that your application was unsuccessful based on your GCSE performance.

Past examination performance is one of the criteria used by our Admissions Tutors when considering UCAS applications. Although the Admissions Tutor considered all the information on your application form, your GCSE grades are not as strong as those achieved by many other applicants who have applied for this course.

Because of the intense competition for places, even applicants with more A / A* grades than you may not be made an offer this year. In addition to the number of ‘top’ grades achieved, the Admissions Tutors consider the range of GCSE subjects and the grades obtained in the most relevant subjects when making their decision.

For further information regarding our admissions criteria, please follow the link below:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/und...ia/Default.htm

I am sorry we have had to disappoint you in your application to the School and wish you every success in your future studies elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arsenalskydivers)
    Yeah they do. If you email them asking for feedback ([email protected]), you'll get some.

you'll need your ucas id no, full name, dob and course applied for. they should respond with feedback in a couple of days.

what're you applying for and where?
    I'm in year 12 but I wanted to apply for Law at LSE next year
    but thats shattered my dreams

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.