English with Classics Degree

Watch this thread
emilyhannahbrown
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m really interested in doing an English degree or English with Classics or Ancient History.
Has anyone done any of these subjects and has any advice or any books to recommend that I can read and put on my personal statement? Any advice big or small is welcome
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emilyhannahbrown)
I’m really interested in doing an English degree or English with Classics or Ancient History.
Has anyone done any of these subjects and has any advice or any books to recommend that I can read and put on my personal statement? Any advice big or small is welcome
I would definitely recommend acquainting yourself with the 'big' texts of classics if you haven't already done so - The Iliad, The Aeneid and The Odyssey are good places to start (can highly recommend Emily Wilson's recent translation of The Odyssey) and seem to crop up on most classics courses. One of my favourite classical writers is Euripides - I'd recommend Hekabe and Alkestis in particular. The poet and classicist Anne Carson has published some excellent translations of his work.

I'd also recommend contemporary poet Simon Armitage's modern re-telling 'The Last Days of Troy' - the theatre performance was filmed for the BBC so may still be available and I believe there is an audiobook on Audible.

For accessibility to Ancient History, you really can't beat Mary Beard on Ancient Rome - SPQR is fantastic but her earlier books are also highly recommended. Tom Holland has also written some excellent books on the ancient world, including a translation of Herodotus' Histories.

I'd also recommend following a BookTuber called Jean Menzies - she's on Twitter @jeansthoughts and her YouTube channel is called Jean's Bookish Thoughts. Although she vlogs about other things, she is a PhD student in Classics and has a number of videos that have suggested reading and also talks about the life of a Classics PhD student - you can find the playlist at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3z60bt6ovtVZGm and there are some great recommendations in there including videos on 'Ancient History Books' and 'Starting with Ancient Poetry'. She also has a podcast called That's Ancient History that I would highly recommend.

Hope that helps!

Amy
emilyhannahbrown
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Wow! Thank you so much that is so helpful. I will definitely check out all the recommended texts. Thank you so much!!! Incredibly helpful
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emilyhannahbrown)
Wow! Thank you so much that is so helpful. I will definitely check out all the recommended texts. Thank you so much!!! Incredibly helpful
No problem at all! Another tip - check out the bibliographies of 'introductory' books to the subject. They often have other titles that you might find interesting and will allow you to expand your reading out to other books, articles and resources that might interest you.

Happy reading!

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (37)
35.58%
The paper was reasonable (40)
38.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
16.35%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
9.62%

Watched Threads