Bath - studying engineering without A-level maths

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I have made bath my firm choice for September to do electronic engineering, however I haven't studied A-level maths as I did a BTEC level 3/ extended in electronic engineering instead.
This BTEC course had maths in it but tbh it mostly just covered GCSE / AS level topics. I can't help but think that when I turn up, I'll be at a big disadvantage and will struggle a lot with the work as I haven't covered a lot of a level maths topics or done as much hard maths over the last few years when compared to most people.
Would it be advisory to do some independent learning and practice of A-level maths over the coming months or will the Uni course start from the basics and gradually get harder.
Thanks
GHeard26
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in exactly the same boat, BTEC Engineering, no A-Levels doing Electronics Engineering.
We should be fine. lots of first year content is getting everyone from different educational backgrounds on the same page as everyone has slightly different qualifications so know different things.
Besides, having done a BTEC you'll probably know more about certain units. that the A-Level students who might be better at other units.
However independent learning can't hurt, I'd recommend it, I've been planning on doing the same to make sure I don't forget anything over an extended break from education.
apolaroidofus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Imperial college are teaching A-level maths over 4 sets of online courses (for free!) and could be brilliant in helping you cover the content. The first one is here - https://www.edx.org/course/a-level-m...8888_Skimlinks
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would it help if you were to start working through some past papers for Maths at A Level?

https://www.aqa.org.uk/find-past-pap...d-mark-schemes
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
Imperial college are teaching A-level maths over 4 sets of online courses (for free!) and could be brilliant in helping you cover the content. The first one is here - https://www.edx.org/course/a-level-m...8888_Skimlinks
Thank you so much, I am definitely going to use this and get up to speed!
University of Bath Postgraduate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I have made bath my firm choice for September to do electronic engineering, however I haven't studied A-level maths as I did a BTEC level 3/ extended in electronic engineering instead.
This BTEC course had maths in it but tbh it mostly just covered GCSE / AS level topics. I can't help but think that when I turn up, I'll be at a big disadvantage and will struggle a lot with the work as I haven't covered a lot of a level maths topics or done as much hard maths over the last few years when compared to most people.
Would it be advisory to do some independent learning and practice of A-level maths over the coming months or will the Uni course start from the basics and gradually get harder.
Thanks
Hi there,

Although I admin this postgraduate accounts and focus on postgraduate queries, I also studied for my undergraduate in EEE at Bath from 2016-2019 so I believe I can provide some useful insight. One important thing that I will say is the course (for the most part) involved less complex maths than I was expecting, and the Univeristy provides fantastic support for those requiring help with maths in general, or those who just need help for specific assignments.

This guide should tell you all you need to know: https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/gettin...atistics-help/

I am also aware that A levels have changed somewhat since my time sitting them in 2015/16, so I am unsure of which topic falls under which module anymore, and will just give you the 3 important topics to study before you begin your course, in my opinion. These are the main subjects that prior knowledge was assumed for the vast majority of students who had done Maths and Further Maths A Level.

Differentiation and Integration - Make sure you have a solid understanding of how to use the chain, product and quotient rule on top of understanding how to differentiate exponentials and sines and cosines.

Complex Numbers - While this will be taught from scratch in Mathematics 1 in first semester (if the content is the same as my time), it is useful to familiarise yourself with the basics of complex numbers and imaginary numbers as this was taught very quickly given the number of poeple who already understood this.

Matrices - I cannot quite remember whether this was taught from scratch but it was a main topic in Mathematics 2 so understanding the basics (how do add, multiply, perform basic maniuplations of matrices etc) will be very helpful.

An understanding of mechanics is also essential for engineers but I imagine your BTEC course will have covered elements of that? If not, the mechanics module in the maths a-level will be good to study.

A full list of topics taught in Mathematics 1 (a first semester module) and Mathematics 2 (a second semester module) can be found here: Mathematics 1 Mathematics 2

These modules generally cover and give students a good foundation of the maths that will come up in later years engineering modules. Also please bear in mind that the more complex topics such as Laplace and Fourier transformation will be new to almost all students and are the main focus of the teaching in these modules, from my experience. If you do decide to try and prep for these types of topics, don't be put off if you struggle with them - even I'm not confident with all of them now!

I hope this helps!

Ollie
Engineering Business Management
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed