Hedwigeeeee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
u know bond-breaking absorbs energy, but why the hydrolysis of ADP, which is bond breaking, releases energy?
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Theres a number of ways to think about but to put it simply :
your mitochondria uses energy it gets from allowing protons to flow with their concentration to force phosphate groups onto ADP molecules. These bonds do not want to be made, so they have energy because it took energy to create them. This is potential energy, like when you lift something heavy. This energy can be used in other places in the cell by breaking this bond, releasing the energy used to form it. ( ATP molecule that break off phosphate group can also form a bond with a molecule, which releases energy. This energy lets the cell do stuff.)
Last edited by rimstone; 6 months ago
Hedwigeeeee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by rimstone)
theres a number of ways to think about but to put it simply :
Your mitochondria uses energy it gets from allowing protons to flow with their concentration to force phosphate groups onto adp molecules. These bonds do not want to be made, so they have energy because it took energy to create them. This is potential energy, like when you lift something heavy. This energy can be used in other places in the cell by breaking this bond, releasing the energy used to form it. ( atp molecule that break off phosphate group can also form a bond with a molecule, which releases energy. This energy lets the cell do stuff.)
so that the synthesis of atp requires energy , and the breaking down of atp releases energy? Because the bond is hard to made and we have to overcome the attraction between pi and other molecules when synthesis atp, and this energy offset the energy releases when bond formed right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (10)
15.63%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (12)
18.75%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (28)
43.75%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (11)
17.19%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise