Keto Diet: am I doing it right?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Started the Keto Diet 11 days ago by reducing my carbs, increasing my protein / fat intakes, and making sure I’m in a calorie deficit.

My weight has changed as so:

Day 1: 82.5 kg
Day 3 82.5 kg
Day 5 81 kg
Day 7: 80.5 kg
Day 9: 80kg
Day 10: 78 kg
Day 11: 77kg

Now I’m assuming I’m losing water weight (but this much?) Am I doing something wrong? I don’t think I’ve changed physically too much (my face has gone a bit skinner though)...
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Started the Keto Diet 11 days ago by reducing my carbs, increasing my protein / fat intakes, and making sure I’m in a calorie deficit.

My weight has changed as so:

Day 1: 82.5 kg
Day 3 82.5 kg
Day 5 81 kg
Day 7: 80.5 kg
Day 9: 80kg
Day 10: 78 kg
Day 11: 77kg

Now I’m assuming I’m losing water weight (but this much?) Am I doing something wrong? I don’t think I’ve changed physically too much (my face has gone a bit skinner though)...
It does sound a bit concerning, you shouldn't be losing 2kg in 24 hours. That doesn't sound healthy. You should talk to your GP, they could advise you on a better diet/exercise method based on your health.
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That isn't healthy at all. Losing 5.5kg in 11 days is NOT ideal. Ideally you should be losing a pound a week i.e. 0.453592 or 0.5lbs (1dp). Thus, in 11 days you should've lost 0.7127874285714286‬kg i.e. 0.7kg.
Archetypally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A ketogenic diet is known to potentially cause rapid weight loss - I would stop the diet now and look into alternatives.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
It does sound a bit concerning, you shouldn't be losing 2kg in 24 hours. That doesn't sound healthy. You should talk to your GP, they could advise you on a better diet/exercise method based on your health.
(Original post by gtty123)
That isn't healthy at all. Losing 5.5kg in 11 days is NOT ideal. Ideally you should be losing a pound a week i.e. 0.453592 or 0.5lbs (1dp). Thus, in 11 days you should've lost 0.7127874285714286‬kg i.e. 0.7kg.
(Original post by Archetypally)
A ketogenic diet is known to potentially cause rapid weight loss - I would stop the diet now and look into alternatives.
But apparently this is normal for people who have excess water retention?
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It would be beneficial to get some more info, otherwise those numbers don't really mean anything. How tall are you? Have you been on keto before, etc?

I've been on keto for extended periods of time (6 months plus), and tend to give it a go every year for a few months. You need to make sure you're doing it right for the benefits of ketosis (i.e. less than 20g net carbs per day), but of course that will cause rapid weight loss if you're not replacing the calories lost from removing carbs with fats and protein. Nuts are a great source of unsaturated fats and very calorie dense. If losing weight isn't the goal, just eat more calories. Calories in vs calories out is still going to be the most important thing re weight loss.

If weight loss is the goal, I wouldn't recommend weighing yourself every day. Others have commented that you shouldn't be losing that much etc, but when you weigh yourself every day you'll see natural fluctuations regardless of keto/dieting, e.g. how much salt you've eaten, how much water you've drank, if you've eaten, been to the toilet, etc.

If done right I strongly believe keto isn't dangerous and offers many benefits. Even when I'm trying to maintain my weight I still like the other benefits of keto - personally I find it keeps my energy levels more consistent throughout the day for example. Research will be your best friend.

You've reduced your carbs and calorie intake. You're losing weight. Water and potentially body mass now you're in day 11. As long as you're not restricting your calories to excess, you're drinking PLENTY (more than before keto) of water and feeling healthy, I wouldn't worry. Enjoy
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jsg9)
It would be beneficial to get some more info, otherwise those numbers don't really mean anything. How tall are you? Have you been on keto before, etc?

I've been on keto for extended periods of time (6 months plus), and tend to give it a go every year for a few months. You need to make sure you're doing it right for the benefits of ketosis (i.e. less than 20g net carbs per day), but of course that will cause rapid weight loss if you're not replacing the calories lost from removing carbs with fats and protein. Nuts are a great source of unsaturated fats and very calorie dense. If losing weight isn't the goal, just eat more calories. Calories in vs calories out is still going to be the most important thing re weight loss.

If weight loss is the goal, I wouldn't recommend weighing yourself every day. Others have commented that you shouldn't be losing that much etc, but when you weigh yourself every day you'll see natural fluctuations regardless of keto/dieting, e.g. how much salt you've eaten, how much water you've drank, if you've eaten, been to the toilet, etc.

If done right I strongly believe keto isn't dangerous and offers many benefits. Even when I'm trying to maintain my weight I still like the other benefits of keto - personally I find it keeps my energy levels more consistent throughout the day for example. Research will be your best friend.

You've reduced your carbs and calorie intake. You're losing weight. Water and potentially body mass now you're in day 11. As long as you're not restricting your calories to excess, you're drinking PLENTY (more than before keto) of water and feeling healthy, I wouldn't worry. Enjoy
Thanks so much for this!

I’m a 5’7 male (17) and I’ve never been on keto before so what’s happening is very strange. I’m not hungry any more nowadays and am trying to make sure I get all my vitamins and eat a variety of food (even carbs, making sure I’m limiting this to 20-30g). I’m not feeling as dehydrated as I used to (the last few days I’ve been VERY thirsty) and drink plenty of water (a lot more as you said). As for energy levels, I’m not weak, pretty normal actually.

May I ask, how long does the water loss part of keto take?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But apparently this is normal for people who have excess water retention?
We aren't medical professionals, I do recommend you speak to your GP for accurate and reliable medical advice regarding weight loss.
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks so much for this!

I’m a 5’7 male (17) and I’ve never been on keto before so what’s happening is very strange. I’m not hungry any more nowadays and am trying to make sure I get all my vitamins and eat a variety of food (even carbs, making sure I’m limiting this to 20-30g). I’m not feeling as dehydrated as I used to (the last few days I’ve been VERY thirsty) and drink plenty of water (a lot more as you said). As for energy levels, I’m not weak, pretty normal actually.

To address the water loss part first, it varies, but it shouldn't continue for much longer (in my own experience) as you'll be depleting your glycogen stores the more you restrict carb intake. Glycogen is stored in our liver, muscle and fat cells in a hydrated form, basically there's 3 or 4 parts of water for every 1 part of glycogen stored. When your body has been accessing its glycogen stores over the past 11 days for energy, you're losing 3 or 4 molecules of water for every 1 of glycogen. You can see how that quickly will add up and give a lot of water weight loss quite rapidly. Feeling thirsty is common as you lose the water, again, it should pass. The first few days I go back into keto I spend between the tap filling up a glass of water and the bathroom as my body sheds it all out.

Your starting weight, height and age give a BMI that puts you overweight at the minute, but again, I wouldn't worry too much about BMI as it doesn't take into account muscle mass etc. The best bet is to go off body fat percentage and measure your waist to keep an eye on visceral fat that tends to sit around the middle. Being more overweight when you start any kind of diet/exercise regime means you'll lose weight more quickly than those who have less to lose. Think about all the TV programmes with very obese people, they can sometimes lose a stone or more in very short amounts of time. The more you have to come off, the quicker it comes off initially.

To echo another poster, I'm not a medical professional and this comes from my own experience and hours of research into keto. The biggest piece of advice I can give is research to make sure it's right for you, and it isn't for everyone. If you feel you're losing too much weight too quickly, up your calories or your carbs. The general consensus is that for healthy people without any other health conditions there's no serious harm in giving keto a try, but again, you can always speak to your GP if you're concerned or have questions.
Synergy_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
It's usually water weight with keto. People tend to shed a lot of it the first few weeks, which is why it is highly advised to hydrate a lot.
Last edited by Synergy_; 2 weeks ago
NumbaCruncha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks so much for this!

I've been on the keto diet and the weight loss on the first few days is normal. I went from 73kg to 69kg within a week. This weight is normally the water and so I have been going to the toilet for number 1 a lot more than usual during this time. The water weight loss usually varies from person to person (some may see little change at all) and it depends on the speed of which ketosis is achieved. I would recommend you to drink plenty as you pee more often (but don't overdrink, of course). After the initial water loss, your weight loss will be the fat loss so it will slow down dramatically from here on. I would also advise you to keep sticking to a journal (and ideally the same condition and time on measurement to avoid for other variables). Good luck!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jsg9)
To address the water loss part first, it varies, but it shouldn't continue for much longer (in my own experience) as you'll be depleting your glycogen stores the more you restrict carb intake. Glycogen is stored in our liver, muscle and fat cells in a hydrated form, basically there's 3 or 4 parts of water for every 1 part of glycogen stored. When your body has been accessing its glycogen stores over the past 11 days for energy, you're losing 3 or 4 molecules of water for every 1 of glycogen. You can see how that quickly will add up and give a lot of water weight loss quite rapidly. Feeling thirsty is common as you lose the water, again, it should pass. The first few days I go back into keto I spend between the tap filling up a glass of water and the bathroom as my body sheds it all out.

Your starting weight, height and age give a BMI that puts you overweight at the minute, but again, I wouldn't worry too much about BMI as it doesn't take into account muscle mass etc. The best bet is to go off body fat percentage and measure your waist to keep an eye on visceral fat that tends to sit around the middle. Being more overweight when you start any kind of diet/exercise regime means you'll lose weight more quickly than those who have less to lose. Think about all the TV programmes with very obese people, they can sometimes lose a stone or more in very short amounts of time. The more you have to come off, the quicker it comes off initially.

To echo another poster, I'm not a medical professional and this comes from my own experience and hours of research into keto. The biggest piece of advice I can give is research to make sure it's right for you, and it isn't for everyone. If you feel you're losing too much weight too quickly, up your calories or your carbs. The general consensus is that for healthy people without any other health conditions there's no serious harm in giving keto a try, but again, you can always speak to your GP if you're concerned or have questions.
Ah alright, thanks I'll note this. I do think I have a lot of muscle, which is why I don't really have faith in the BMI either. The diet isn't harming me, so I think I'll carry on and see what happens, but I'll make sure I contact a GP in case I feel something's wrong. I'll post any more questions/updates on this thread if anything comes up as DrawTheLine said. Thanks, both of you

(Original post by Synergy_)
It's usually water weight with keto. People tend to shed a lot of it the first few weeks, which is why it is highly advised to hydrate a lot.
(Original post by NumbaCruncha)
I've been on the keto diet and the weight loss on the first few days is normal. I went from 73kg to 69kg within a week. This weight is normally the water and so I have been going to the toilet for number 1 a lot more than usual during this time. The water weight loss usually varies from person to person (some may see little change at all) and it depends on the speed of which ketosis is achieved. I would recommend you to drink plenty as you pee more often (but don't overdrink, of course). After the initial water loss, your weight loss will be the fat loss so it will slow down dramatically from here on. I would also advise you to keep sticking to a journal (and ideally the same condition and time on measurement to avoid for other variables). Good luck!
Ah, alright so it is water weight. I'm making sure I'm hydrated, and now (expect) a decrease in weight loss by next week - which should be comforting.
Thanks for the help guys.
Anonymous #1
Alright I’ve been recording my weight the past few days and I’ve been on 77kg for day 12,13 and 14 (at least on the scale anyway) so am I correct in assuming I’ve lost all the excess water now and it should be mostly fat from here on?

jsg9 Synergy_ NumbaCruncha
NumbaCruncha
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Alright I’ve been recording my weight the past few days and I’ve been on 77kg for day 12,13 and 14 (at least on the scale anyway) so am I correct in assuming I’ve lost all the excess water now and it should be mostly fat from here on?

jsg9 Synergy_ NumbaCruncha
That seems right from my experience. Yes, it should be fat from now on. Just make sure you count your macros and keep everything in proportion (15% protein, 5% carb 20-50g, 80% fat) etc. and always be full so eat whenever you feel hungry. Full meals are much better than snacks.

Should you stop keto diet from this day on, your weight will most likely go back to the original - this just means the water weight is back.

No other immediate tips but do watch out for electrolyte deficiency (sodium, potassium, magnesium); these can cause fatigue, weakness, muscle cramps and twitching but can be corrected by eating food containing more of what I just listed. Always seek a GP if you need.
Anonymous #1
That seems right from my experience. Yes, it should be fat from now on. Just make sure you count your macros and keep everything in proportion (15% protein, 5% carb 20-50g, 80% fat) etc. and always be full so eat whenever you feel hungry. Full meals are much better than snacks.

Should you stop keto diet from this day on, your weight will most likely go back to the original - this just means the water weight is back.

No other immediate tips but do watch out for electrolyte deficiency (sodium, potassium, magnesium); these can cause fatigue, weakness, muscle cramps and twitching but can be corrected by eating food containing more of what I just listed. Always seek a GP if you need.
Ah thanks If I take multivitamins can I avoid these affects because I have some with me right now that provides all vitamins necessary
NumbaCruncha
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah thanks If I take multivitamins can I avoid these affects because I have some with me right now that provides all vitamins necessary
Hmm sorry but I have no experience on taking multivitamins. The keto diet shouldn't require you to take supplements, I believe. Maybe consider your balanced meal plan carefully to ensure it ticks all the necessary vitamins and if you are lacking on the ones I mentioned, then just eat the food that gives a good boost? A bit more salt in your food for sodium, extra avocado, leafy greens or mushrooms for potassium and finally pumpkin, chia, mackerel, almonds or leafy greens for magnesium etc.?

I'm not a doctor but I think you should only take supplements when you are sure you are lacking in that (via GP visits, if necessary) or have the symptoms I mentioned like fatigue, cramps etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
The person above said it perfectly ^ would only take them if you’re lacking.
Anonymous #1
Hmm sorry but I have no experience on taking multivitamins. The keto diet shouldn't require you to take supplements, I believe. Maybe consider your balanced meal plan carefully to ensure it ticks all the necessary vitamins and if you are lacking on the ones I mentioned, then just eat the food that gives a good boost? A bit more salt in your food for sodium, extra avocado, leafy greens or mushrooms for potassium and finally pumpkin, chia, mackerel, almonds or leafy greens for magnesium etc.?

I'm not a doctor but I think you should only take supplements when you are sure you are lacking in that (via GP visits, if necessary) or have the symptoms I mentioned like fatigue, cramps etc.
Ah thanks - got it
Anonymous #1
Alright it’s Day 18 and my weight is 76.5kg so I think my weight loss is much more normal now (losing half a kg/week). I’ll keep this thread updated every Monday from now on, just to track progress.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Day 24 and my weight is 75kg. Doing pretty well

- My stomach, face and torso has definitely shrunk. Might start cardio next month too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (70)
18.82%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.28%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.97%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.48%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
11.02%

Watched Threads