The Student Room Group

what is the domain and range for th equation in this question

what is the domain and range for the equations here? can I just substitute the range of t into x and y?
is the domain and range (-4+9the root of 3)/2<x<-2, and -7/2<y<10?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hedwigeeeee
what is the domain and range for the equations here? can I just substitute the range of t into x and y?
is the domain and range (-4+9the root of 3)/2<x<-2, and -7/2<y<10?

The question doesn't ask for this? For c) its just the length of an arc.

May be wrong on this, but the domain is on t for parametric curves.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
The question doesn't ask for this? For c) its just the length of an arc.

May be wrong on this, but the domain is on t for parametric curves.

I know it does not ask, i just to want to check if my domain and range are correct.
Reply 3
I know it does not ask, i just to want to check if my domain and range are correct.

You don't really have a dependent / independent distinction for x - y curves in parametric curves. I thought that the domain was on t, not x?
Reply 4
You only really say domain and range for functions. The curve C isn’t described by a function as it’s a circle. So it’s tough to say what you really mean when you ask for the domain and range. But if you’re asking for the values of x and y that the curve C can take, then you can’t just plug the range of t into x and y.
To see this imagine a curve given by y=x2,  1x1 y=x^2, \ \ -1\leq x \leq 1 . If you plug in the range of x in you might think 1y1 -1\leq y \leq 1 . But of course it isn’t
Reply 5
To answer the question, you have the equation of a circle. So if you draw a sketch of it, since you know it’s centre and radius you should be able to determine that min/max values that x and y can take.
You could also do it algebraically but not as easy.
Original post by B_9710
To answer the question, you have the equation of a circle. So if you draw a sketch of it, since you know it’s centre and radius you should be able to determine that min/max values that x and y can take.
You could also do it algebraically but not as easy.

so sometimes we cannot just plug t into the equation for x and y to get domain and range, right?it depends on the drawing?
Reply 7
so sometimes we cannot just plug t into the equation for x and y to get domain and range, right?it depends on the drawing?

The domain is on t. You can talk about the ranges of the x and y variables.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PcLRVulbNA&app=desktop
Most of the time, the parametric curve is not an x-y function, so the x domain, y range does not apply.
Reply 8

Yeah, and in general you can’t just plug in the range for t and expect to get the right answer. You really need to understand what you’re working out and why.
To understand range of a function, you need to be able to determine turning points, value of y as x tends to positive infinity or negative infinity. Things like that. Can be very difficult to do sometimes if the equation of a curve is complicated.

Quick Reply

Latest