Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are the best Uni's to go to if your UCAS points vary between:

300 and 200???

I really need some advice and I'm sure there are others that need it to, thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    wrong forum :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rav.)
    wrong forum :P
    Congrats for not missing the point!

I have no idea... I hear Readings good?

ReputationRep:
    "best"? Completely subjective. Everybody has different likes, dislikes, preferences, needs etc. We all have different opinions on what constitutes the "best" anything.

Even harder to answer without any idea of course.

ReputationRep:
    Northumbria's often mentioned as pretty good, in a good city (Newcastle), often has very much reachable requirements and a lot of people I know have gone there.

300 to 200 is a big gap, though - 300 is 3 B's, 200 is CCE. With 3 B's in some courses Durham and the like are available, but CCE would leave you no chance there.

Depends what you're classing as average - I'd say CCC is average.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds! wahey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    "best"? Completely subjective. Everybody has different likes, dislikes, preferences, needs etc. We all have different opinions on what constitutes the "best" anything.

Even harder to answer without any idea of course.
    Exactly. If this wasn't the case, there'd just be one university for people with 300 ucas points and not several.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you can get into most unis with 300 points, even some top ten unis. It really is an impossible question to answer. Especially if we don't have any idea what course you're thinking of doing.

But, as a general rule, some courses at Exeter's Cornwall campus, some less popular courses at red brick unis (as well as UEA, Reading, Sussex) and the leading ex-polys (Northumbria, Hallam, Trent, Brookes).

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see my question as confusing?

What are the best ex-polys?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want to study I guess :p:

I'm biased and will say Aberystwyth.
    The offers are slightly below a lot of other uni's, but only because it's isolated and they look at the person as well as the grades. Going to an open day can knock 20 - 40 points off your offer - heck! I missed my offer by 40 or so points and got in.

Doesn't mean it's a "bad" uni though. Gets first place / very high places in student satisfaction surveys and is a respected university.

But - as I said - I'm biased

ReputationRep:
    Answering this is hard.

What do you want to study? What are your grades like? Define 'best'.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am taking a gap year
    I got BCD, 240 points
    I want to study english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmkimberley)
    (Original post by River85)
    leading ex-polys (Northumbria, Hallam, Trent, Brookes).
    Insert filler text here.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see my question as confusing?

I'm not saying it's confusing, I'm just saying a question like that is hard to answer when you give no indication of what course you're looking for. The truth is 300 points (or BBB, even BBC) can get you into some top ten unis.

Again, best is subjective but I think it's fair to say that the leading/strongest ex polys are the ones I mentioned.

Portsmouth also deserve a mention. Liverpool John Moores is quite progressive.

But be aware that every uni has their strength and there'll be many more who may be stronger in certain subjects (such as nursing, pharmacy, media) than the ones listed above.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that

ReputationRep:
    Well I am taking a gap year
    I got BCD, 240 points
    I want to study english
    Again, I'll say Aber :p:

Unless you love places like London and Manchester (I'm really not a big fan of large cities)... You might feel a bit too isolated then (Birmingham being a 3 hour train journey through the Welsh countryside away...) :p:

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to a city, I was thinking about aber in 2006-2007 but i changed after i visited london

ReputationRep:
    heehee, OK

London is a nice place if you like larger towns, though costs are higher I believe. But a lot of uni's in the larger towns and cities are very respectable, so I'd look at the ones mentioned here such as Portsmouth and Surrey etc. Reading's supposed to be good too (but too close to home for me, so haven't looked at it).

To be honest, it doesn't really matter where you go - uni is what you make of it at the end of the day
    Though there's no standardised course across the uni's, they are pretty much all on the same level work wise, so I'd look at the prospectus' for what the course entails before making a decision. But I'm sure you were going to do that compared to my "Ip Dip Sky Blue" approach :p:

Good luck

P.S. Thanks to whoever repped me

ReputationRep:
    I repped you
    Your help is great, thank you so much!
    You made me feel a whole lot better!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juustuburger)
    Depends what you're classing as average - I'd say CCC is average.
    Believe it or not, the average is ABB. No joke. No wonder people say A Levels are getting easier!

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.