Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Purest?

ReputationRep:
    They speak "classical" arabic in Syria.
    That is the limit of my knowledge of arabic, except I can also count to 8 and I know the word for carrot.

ReputationRep:
    Saudi Arabia. Clue in the name.

ReputationRep:
    Golders Green.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalashnikov)
    Purest?
    I think he means purest as in not with a dialect. For example, you have the Egyptian dialect and Moroccan dialect.

I believe the purest is spoken somewhere around Syria and Saudi...correct me if im wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The best teaching of Arabic takes place in Damascus, though the language on the street isn't particularly pure. Saudi Arabia probably gets the closest to the classic language.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..I wouldn't say Syrians speak classical. To be honest, it's not spoken much anywhere. (I'm talking, "on the street")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomQMU)
    They speak "classical" arabic in Syria.
    That is the limit of my knowledge of arabic, except I can also count to 8 and I know the word for carrot.
    Only ever useful in particular circumstances of grocery shopping, one would imagine.

ReputationRep:
    London.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard from VERY reliable sources that the purest FusHa, is spoken in Algeria...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Only ever useful in particular circumstances of grocery shopping, one would imagine.
    Well, yeah. I used to know some other vegetables too, and the word for bread. I think I was the only rollerblading shopping 10-year old in Damascus back in the 90's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    I've heard from VERY reliable sources that the purest FusHa, is spoken in Algeria...

lol not quite, its nothing anywhere near fusha. the purest form of arabic can be found in the levant area if you mean pure as as close to fusha (classical) as possible. however, even with jordan, syria and yemen you will find a lot of dialectical differences. the purest ive heard is in southern yemen where there are a number of tribes and clans who speak perfect classical arabic as their mother tongue. very beautiful to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aperson)
    lol not quite, its nothing anywhere near fusha. the purest form of arabic can be found in the levant area if you mean pure as as close to fusha (classical) as possible. however, even with jordan, syria and yemen you will find a lot of dialectical differences. the purest ive heard is in southern yemen where there are a number of tribes and clans who speak perfect classical arabic as their mother tongue. very beautiful to listen to.

Well I'll have to correct my sources, thanks:yep:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    There's no such thing as a "pure" form of a language. If you mean the closest to Classical Arabic... try the mosques (at least when they're reading from the Qur'an). But really, languages mutate over time, which is why English, German, French, Russian and even Persian have a common ancestor (called "Proto-Indo-European" or... PIE ), and the same kind of thing happened with the Semitic languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Maltese, etc.)

What I'm getting at is that "pure" is a very bad word to use when taking about languages. If it's "standard" that you're after, read here.

ReputationRep:
    ermm, id say saudi arabia, and syria.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps saudi arabia as some said earlier...if we're speaking in terms of 'place'. however arabic in its pure form and most reliable form can only be found in one book and thats the quran.

ReputationRep:
    syria no becoz thats close to lebanese and they have very similar dialects. thats not language and hence far away from 'purity'.

ReputationRep:
    Syria ... الشام

ReputationRep:
    On Al-jazeera news.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.