Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Iraq

ReputationRep:
    Jordan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomQMU)
    They speak "classical" arabic in Syria.
    That is the limit of my knowledge of arabic, except I can also count to 8 and I know the word for carrot.
    i know the word for soap. well i don't, but i used to :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    Golders Green.
    Don't you mean Hebrew?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbandervish)
    Don't you mean Hebrew?
    That's what I thought too.

Surely Edgware Road?

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia says that the Yemeni dialect is the closes to pure Arabic. People who say Syria are crazy, they speak Arabic like frenchmen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbandervish)
    Don't you mean Hebrew?
    I was being frivolous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    That's what I thought too.

Surely Edgware Road?
    Agree.

ReputationRep:
    I've learnt some Arabic and we were always told that Modern Standard Arabic is the most 'standard' form of the language but it's actually not really used that much outside of the media etc, in terms of it being a 'spoken' language as it were. We were told that we'd always have to adapt according to where we were as there are so many 'dialects'. Not sure how true this was though

The tutor was Egyptian and when I mentioned this to a Syrian friend he was horrified, he said that Egyptian Arabic is one of the 'clumsiest' forms of the language and he used to spend ages correcting my pronunciation - he used to say that when an Egyptian spoke Arabic they were making fun of the language. I think he was a bit prejudiced lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.