dreamtaes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
im applying for med and i want my ps to stand out. a lot have mentioned to avoid the usual overused sentences when starting so i thought of using an incident that happened to start my ps. would it be a bad idea to start with a quote of what someone said to me and then add a little more about how the event went with that? as in itd be somewhat like
"------" person said to me. and then i explain how i felt and stuff for the rest? itll be connected to why i chose the course.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
ecolier, who’s a doctor and med school interviewer (and all round TSR legend) will tell you that what’s important is having a solid PS, not having it stand out - PSes are increasingly not scored/used for med applications, so you’re more likely to stand out for badness than goodness!

If you want to start with an anecdote, go for it. Your teacher/a qualified adult/the TSR PS review team will be able to tell you later if it ‘works’ or not. What matters is that you show the qualities of a future doctor in your PS (most med schools will have lists of what they want to see), and that it flows well and is well written.

Good luck
NikPS
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Has your college given you any suggestions on the personal statement? Please check those. They give you that stuff because that's what they expect you to write and is based on years of experience reading tons of Personal statements. Apparently, it's common for people to use quotes to begin a statement, so I wouldn't suggest doing that. Let your opening be a short paragraph that talks about which course you're looking to study and a major reason for doing so. I'm not a medical student so I don't know if this might work for you but give it a shot and see if it does.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by dreamtaes)
im applying for med and i want my ps to stand out. a lot have mentioned to avoid the usual overused sentences when starting so i thought of using an incident that happened to start my ps. would it be a bad idea to start with a quote of what someone said to me and then add a little more about how the event went with that? as in itd be somewhat like
"------" person said to me. and then i explain how i felt and stuff for the rest? itll be connected to why i chose the course.
If the quote suits well to what you are saying in your personal statement, then it could be a good idea to open up with it. As I don't really know the full details, it is hard to say for sure - only you can judge whether it is a good idea. Don't spend too much time explaining about this event as you only have a limited number of characters - make sure you cover the areas of why you want to study medicine, what makes you suited, how you have demonstrated this interest and what makes you an outstanding candidate.

When you have written a first draft, I would recommend getting a teacher to read over it or submit it to the private Personal Statement forum on TSR where you will receive good feedback!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise