Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anybody else here enjoy noise music?

i suppose it's quite a vague term, but i mean it in the sense of experimental musics associated with ambient, drone and avant-garde classical. artists like merzbow, yellow swans, double leopards, birchville cat motel, etc. that feature prominent use of distortion, dissonance, feedback, etc.

and i'm really not into having that boring discussion about how this "isn't music", so let's not do that, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    nah i find it crap tbh. i find r&b the shizz though.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to soft white noise tracks to help me meditate.
    Also have just these noise taps with loads of soft and weird sounds that makes me drift on.

Search for Energizer music/naps. There's this site that gives you free sample. Bit of narration at first as to ease you into feeling relaxed and they a whole concoction of soothing sounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    yes
    cool, anyone in particular you enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    the locust ftw. But they noisecore.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I do listen to some of it, but only what my friends give me.

I prefer Noize.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the music I like is noise, but I don't listen to my parents.

I'm interested in Metal Machine Music, though, if that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaisersalsek)
    the locust ftw. But they noisecore.
    great band, but not a noise band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApathyAndExhaustion)
    cool, anyone in particular you enjoy?
    i make my own
    white noise tracks with sub bass. i have a thing that supposedly stero mixes the sound to affect my brain waves; im not sure if it works though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Most of the music I like is noise, but I don't listen to my parents.

I'm interested in Metal Machine Music, though, if that counts.
    yeah that record is very important for a lot of modern noise music

though lou reed was strongly inspired by earlier avant-garde composers in the production of that work

ReputationRep:
    great band, but not a noise band.
    Yes, they are noisecore. Hardcore noise ooooooh yeah. Just a bit more punch than only noise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaisersalsek)
    Yes, they are noisecore. Hardcore noise ooooooh yeah. Just a bit more punch than only noise!
    they're a hardcore band with synths. they don't really sound like noise music at all to me. i mean, there's no real extensive noise element to their music (in the sense outline in my original post), it's just fast screamy hardcore.

ReputationRep:
    Can I be the first person to say "noise music" is an oxymoron? :P

Seriously, though, I'm not even sure what 'noise' is. I heard something by a band who had a name like 45mhz (or some frequency) recently, though, and that sounded like the noise you hear when you accidentally open a text file in an audio editor. Nasty.

ReputationRep:
    Music is organised sound. Noise is what Slipknot make.

ReputationRep:
    theres usually a fine line between it being pretty **** or it being a worthy soundtrack for your bus journey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie3)
    nah i find it crap tbh. i find r&b the shizz though.
    I somehow doubt you've ever heard noise.

(Original post by Usman938)
    Music is organised sound. Noise is what Slipknot make.
    No... :\

ReputationRep:
    they're a hardcore band with synths. they don't really sound like noise music at all to me. i mean, there's no real extensive noise element to their music (in the sense outline in my original post), it's just fast screamy hardcore.
    So, bands like Snack Truck and Lightning Bolt? They don't count as noise? To me, they are noise rock, but then there are elements of fast mumbling tosh in there...

Noisepop. Now that's an artform. And not in the sense of ambient noise bands like Merzbow, but in the sense of taking noise, using it, forming it, and making it sound like a pop song - in other words, the band Little Teeth. Not really conventional noise at all, but highly addictive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    So, bands like Snack Truck and Lightning Bolt? They don't count as noise? To me, they are noise rock, but then there are elements of fast mumbling tosh in there...

Noisepop. Now that's an artform. And not in the sense of ambient noise bands like Merzbow, but in the sense of taking noise, using it, forming it, and making it sound like a pop song - in other words, the band Little Teeth. Not really conventional noise at all, but highly addictive.
    lightning bolt i can certainly appreciate as being a noise rock band. don't know snack truck. i just didn't see the locust as really having that much of a noise thing going on. but i'm probably being a pedant.

thing was, as much as i might enjoy noise rock, i was hoping to talk about specifically noise in the sense i outlined in the original post - as exemplified, to some extent, by merzbow's extensive output.

and no, noise music isn't an oxymoron. and no, slipknot aren't a noise band.

ReputationRep:
    lightning bolt i can certainly appreciate as being a noise rock band. don't know snack truck. i just didn't see the locust as really having that much of a noise thing going on. but i'm probably being a pedant.

thing was, as much as i might enjoy noise rock, i was hoping to talk about specifically noise in the sense i outlined in the original post - as exemplified, to some extent, by merzbow's extensive output.

and no, noise music isn't an oxymoron. and no, slipknot aren't a noise band.
    Righto. Just checking.

But, on the topic of general noise, I've not given much a listen beyond the odd Merzbow track. I'm a total "n00b" when it comes to the more experimental and avant-garde stuff out there.

And while I'm here - I'll agree that noise music isn't an oxymoron in the sense of noise rock (which works so well). The odd Merzbow stuff that I have heard manages to take dissonance and make it entertaining, so oxymoron it is not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.