Turn on thread page Beta

What's more important? Enjoyment or reputation? watch

• View Poll Results: Enjoyment or Reputation?
    Enjoyment
    69.08%
    30.92%

ReputationRep:
    This is a debate I've had many times with friends and family. What is more important for you to study at university? A subject you enjoy or a subject you don't like but think you should do it as you think it is "reputable" and get you a good job?

How can you study something you dislike for 3 years? How can you get motivated? Remember nobody is guaranteed a job after uni so take that into consideration.

Take my example. I'm studying a media course but my family think it's a waste of time for me and that I should be studying something more "reputable" and traditional not "soft" if you know what I mean? What would you say about this?

What did you choose and why? Do you think enjoyment is more important than "reputable subjects" or not and why?

ReputationRep:
    A subject you enjoy. There's no point wasting three or four years of your life, studying something you hate..to get a job in that subject field which you will probably hate just as much.

definitely something you enjoy
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    im doin something i really really really really enjoy. it just so happens that the institution has the reputation as well.

i dont see why you cant have both???

ReputationRep:
    Something you enjoy, no doubt. If you did go into something you didnt enjoy, it is likely that you will not get a good degree class. Also, it would make it hard to get a job in that field in the future because you dont enjoy the subject and it is hard to fool an interviewer into believing that you do enjoy the subject.

I chose an engineering course as oppose to an economics course. Economics is more reputable if you want to get rich quick, but i enjoy engineering so the heck with the money!

ReputationRep:
    ohh whoops i clicked the wrong thing on the poll. I meant enjoyment not reputation

A course you enjoy will motivate you to succeed in it

ReputationRep:
    prash

I know that but the point my family make is that a degree in a "soft" subject is unlikely to get you a job so that's £10,000 in tuition fees and 3 years wasted if you don't get a high paid job (which they think if you study something like medicine or law you will get lots of money and have a reputation. You know how parents love to brag to their friends about how great their son/daughter is and what a great reputation they have)

ReputationRep:
    Career enjoyment, tbf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    prash

I know that but the point my family make is that a degree in a "soft" subject is unlikely to get you a job so that's £10,000 in tuition fees and 3 years wasted if you don't get a high paid job (which they think if you study something like medicine or law you will get lots of money and have a reputation. You know how parents love to brag to their friends about how great their son/daughter is and what a great reputation they have)
    Dont listen to your parents. Best advice you will ever get ... it is not them living the next 3 years of your life; it is you!... they dont realise that if you dont enjoy something, you wont do well in it and it will make it even more difficult to get a job - especially in law and medicine where there is fierce competition.

ReputationRep:
    When in doubt, and conflicting ideas on education are arising, scrap academics and become a plumber, you'll enjoy that, and no one has more respect than a plumber

ReputationRep:
    Enjoyment. I had this with my parents too, they're just trying to look out for you I know, but it's your life, you'll be putting in the time and the effort and so you should be enjoying what you do. Your parents should be bragging about you anyway! Reputation aint gonna motivate you to actually study, whereas you might feel more inclined to if you genuinely care about your subject. I agree with 'royale-sufi', there's a lot of competition in law and medicine and you'll get sick of it unless you actually have a passion for it and really want to do it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    60:40 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoyment.

ReputationRep:
    Rep is overrated and for those who feel they have an "image" to uphold
    Enjoyment all the way

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's going to say enjoy, but they wouldn't think twice about mocking people who do Media Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    Everyone's going to say enjoy, but they wouldn't think twice about mocking people who do Media Studies.
    Correct. ... maybe the OP should consider something else they like :p:

ReputationRep:
    To translate this thread into TSR speak - whats more important? Trolling or Rep :ninja2:

ReputationRep:
    combo of both
    reputation more though
    at the end of the day uni is usually to get a job

ReputationRep:
    Well I never wanted to work in medicine or law. My parents wanted me to be a doctor ever since I was in primary school but the only thing about science I liked was metals reacting and exploding. I was never that good in science anyway (only good at metals and reactions. You know that GCSE chemistry stuff about displacement and metals reacting with water/hydrogen)

Anyway ever since secondary school I've wanted to work in the media. I've chosen what some would consider a "soft subject" but I don't care. I can't motivate myself for something I don't like. I've learnt my lesson from my AS year (I was good at maths at GCSE and got an A grade for it. My family said take maths at A-Levels so I did. Within 3 months I had to drop out of the class because I didn't enjoy it and I found it boring. I did however have 3 other subjects. English Language & Literature, Film Studies and Photography. Now I know 2 of those subjects are considered "soft" by many people but they aren't the ones who are studying it)

Am I right?

The botom line is NOBODY IS 100% GUARANTEED A HIGH PAID JOB WHEN THEY LEAVE UNI. Many do get jobs but nobody is guaranteed. Just because my cousin graduated from Cambridge last year studied engineering, my family and relatives wanted me to have a reputation like my cousin.

If it's only "enjoyment" v.s. "reputation", then probably enjoyment. But these adjectives could be fuzzy and subjective, and you could find a course that's reputable and enjoy, no?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.