The Student Room Group

Which degree is better?

Is it better to study...

-Events Management
-Tourism Management
-Tourism and Hospitality Management
-Tourism & Marketing

(I don’t have a job in mind, these are just areas that interest me)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by babyshark
Is it better to study...

-Events Management
-Tourism Management
-Tourism and Hospitality Management
-Tourism & Marketing

(I don’t have a job in mind, these are just areas that interest me)

Hey,

They all seem similar, I would maybe go for the Tourism and Hospitality Management because 3/4 of the ones you selected are in management and 3/4 are in tourism while 1 of the 4 is in Events so with Tourism and Hospitality Management sounds like it would include the tourism side of things with hospitality which would give you skills that can be applied to events.
I would also look at the Earning potential, Career prep (if you would need any more further training or studying), subjects covered, and the institutions/ School that offer them and their ranking to aid in your decision making

Hope this helps.
Doreen-maria- Official Student Rep 😀
they are all naff degrees. i wouldn't waste money on either.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
they are all naff degrees. i wouldn't waste money on either.

Well what should I do instead? I’m leaving college with a travel and tourism course so where do I got from that? You being negative isn’t really helping me.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey,

They all seem similar, I would maybe go for the Tourism and Hospitality Management because 3/4 of the ones you selected are in management and 3/4 are in tourism while 1 of the 4 is in Events so with Tourism and Hospitality Management sounds like it would include the tourism side of things with hospitality which would give you skills that can be applied to events.
I would also look at the Earning potential, Career prep (if you would need any more further training or studying), subjects covered, and the institutions/ School that offer them and their ranking to aid in your decision making

Hope this helps.

Thank you! Just worried that I won’t find a career after I graduate haha :smile:
Well what should I do instead? I’m leaving college with a travel and tourism course so where do I got from that? You being negative isn’t really helping me.

You should do a course that leads to a career that you actually want to do and pays you enough for what you want to do in your personal life.

That’s the only answer anyone can give you.
Reply 6
Original post by paul514
You should do a course that leads to a career that you actually want to do and pays you enough for what you want to do in your personal life.

That’s the only answer anyone can give you.

All of these courses would lead to something I would want to do, I’m not 100% sure what exact job but definitely in these sectors.
Out of the 4, I'd say Tourism & Marketing but it's really up to you :smile:
Thank you! Just worried that I won’t find a career after I graduate haha :smile:

Hey,

Maybe read abit more onto the career prospects or opportunities in the field of tourism,
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/travel-and-tourism
you can also refer to peoples experiences such as looking at blogs, vlogs, youtube or asking anyone in the field and see what type of jobs they managed to land/ career path they took for inspiration.

Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)

As a general rule of them, ignore anon posters. :tongue:

Have you considered combining either tourism or events with business management or does that not interest you?

Just remember that whatever you choose, you want to do it and that you're not forcing yourself to study something that you wouldn't enjoy.
Reply 10
Original post by AM.TSR
Out of the 4, I'd say Tourism & Marketing but it's really up to you :smile:

Thank you! I’m leaning towards tourism and Hospitality just so that if the tourism industry is still recovering, I could go into hospitality for a while. Thank you for your help! My concern with marketing is I don’t know a lot about it x
Reply 11
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey,

Maybe read abit more onto the career prospects or opportunities in the field of tourism,
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/travel-and-tourism
you can also refer to peoples experiences such as looking at blogs, vlogs, youtube or asking anyone in the field and see what type of jobs they managed to land/ career path they took.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! So helpful :smile:

i could sugarcoat it like most careers advisors will. but we are heading into quite a painful recession, you ought to do a better degree.
Reply 13
Original post by Quick-use
As a general rule of them, ignore anon posters. :tongue:

Have you considered combining either tourism or events with business management or does that not interest you?

Just remember that whatever you choose, you want to do it and that you're not forcing yourself to study something that you wouldn't enjoy.

It does interest me, I’m just not sure how I could do a degree in it. Most unis offer business management or events or tourism and so on. It’s rare that they have joint honours so I’m struggling to find the perfect degree haha :smile:
Reply 14
i could sugarcoat it like most careers advisors will. but we are heading into quite a painful recession, you ought to do a better degree.

Again, where do I go from studying travel and Tourism at college? I don’t have a lot of options after what I studied at college so if you have an idea please let me know :smile:
Thank you! I’m leaning towards tourism and Hospitality just so that if the tourism industry is still recovering, I could go into hospitality for a while. Thank you for your help! My concern with marketing is I don’t know a lot about it x

No problem! I wouldn't worry about not knowing much about it tbh, most courses teach the content from scratch without expecting previous experience :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by AM.TSR
No problem! I wouldn't worry about not knowing much about it tbh, most courses teach the content from scratch, without expecting previous experience :smile:

Oh wow ok! If you know of any unis that offer it, that would be great! I’ve had a look on UCAS but it’s a very rare course hahaha
I would pick tourism, I’m going into 2nd year in September. It’s an industry in the dumps right now but will obviously recover gradually as countries relay on tourists so highly for their economies. It’s an interesting course and mine contains many management models anyway.

All industries will be affected so anything to do with business/finance and travel will affected - including tourism. A degree is no guarantee of a job either as we are entering a hard recession.
Reply 19
Original post by EwanSolna
I would pick tourism, I’m going into 2nd year in September. It’s an industry in the dumps right now but will obviously recover gradually as countries relay on tourists so highly for their economies. It’s an interesting course and mine contains many management models anyway.

Thank you! It’s my main interest so I’d love to study it! It’s just worrying as I come from a deprived area I’m going to study to gain employment. So I am praying that the rest of the UK opens up new job opportunities that I can move to and work at x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending