Geography to Psychology in one year!!

Watch
username5318816
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im looking to get into a sports science degree, and need AAA if possible.

I picked my a levels wrong, and hate geography, but im already one year through.
My college does not do AS geography, so I will not receive a qualification if I drop it.
Id like to switch to psychology and teach myself AS level over the summer, and then sit in both AS and A2 classes in year 13, along with my other two a levels PE and Biology.

Please can I have some opinions on this?

-is it possible to still get an A even though ive done the course in one year?
-would it be easier to stick with a subject I dont like?
-is psychology a level a good course, do you reccomended it?
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lxur3njw)
Im looking to get into a sports science degree, and need AAA if possible.

I picked my a levels wrong, and hate geography, but im already one year through.
My college does not do AS geography, so I will not receive a qualification if I drop it.
Id like to switch to psychology and teach myself AS level over the summer, and then sit in both AS and A2 classes in year 13, along with my other two a levels PE and Biology.

Please can I have some opinions on this?

-is it possible to still get an A even though ive done the course in one year?
-would it be easier to stick with a subject I dont like?
-is psychology a level a good course, do you reccomended it?
It's possible to get an A while doing an A-Level in one year. I think it would be very difficult though. Doing an entire AS is going to be a very significant undertaking and you'll have to have excellent discipline to do it properly. There's nothing necessarily wrong with this plan but I'd point out that you are looking at a lot more work, and you'll have a lot less time to learn how to perform to an A standard in psychology through essay practice, etc. (I have no idea what the details are on this A-Level).

Unless you hate Geography and are also doing badly in it, I think it would be a lot less work to continue with it. If you are already working at a B / high C level despite hating it then I'd suggest - or at least, my advice to myself - would be to just stick it out for a year instead of taking a risk. If you are doing badly in geography and an A looks like it will be a major struggle, then perhaps psychology is a better decision.

Whatever you decide - I would definitely say you don't finalise your decision to drop geography until you have actually completed (or very largely completed) self teaching your psychology AS Level. This is both to keep your options open and to give yourself an ultimatum for actually doing the work for it.
username5318816
Rep:
?
(Original post by R T)
It's possible to get an A while doing an A-Level in one year. I think it would be very difficult though. Doing an entire AS is going to be a very significant undertaking and you'll have to have excellent discipline to do it properly. There's nothing necessarily wrong with this plan but I'd point out that you are looking at a lot more work, and you'll have a lot less time to learn how to perform to an A standard in psychology through essay practice, etc. (I have no idea what the details are on this A-Level).

Unless you hate Geography and are also doing badly in it, I think it would be a lot less work to continue with it. If you are already working at a B / high C level despite hating it then I'd suggest - or at least, my advice to myself - would be to just stick it out for a year instead of taking a risk. If you are doing badly in geography and an A looks like it will be a major struggle, then perhaps psychology is a better decision.

Whatever you decide - I would definitely say you don't finalise your decision to drop geography until you have actually completed (or very largely completed) self teaching your psychology AS Level. This is both to keep your options open and to give yourself an ultimatum for actually doing the work for it.
I'm currently working at a C in geography so what you've said makes a lot of sense, hopefully i can get past the dislike enough to revise it and work for the A. Thank you for the advice
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lxur3njw)
I'm currently working at a C in geography so what you've said makes a lot of sense, hopefully i can get past the dislike enough to revise it and work for the A. Thank you for the advice
I think at worst it's probably worth looking at a bit of AS Psychology, even if you are leaning more towards Geography. You might well find that it changes your thoughts on the matter (I think a lot of people expect studying certain subjects to be different to the reality of what they require in exams, which is basically what most good teachers will aim for).
username5318816
Rep:
?
(Original post by R T)
I think at worst it's probably worth looking at a bit of AS Psychology, even if you are leaning more towards Geography. You might well find that it changes your thoughts on the matter (I think a lot of people expect studying certain subjects to be different to the reality of what they require in exams, which is basically what most good teachers will aim for).
Very true, I love the subject geography in the real world, but the exams are just not my cuppa tea. Ill have a look through the psychology spec and start learning the first topic and see where my head lies after that. Thank youu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads