Turn on thread page Beta

Well paid job that you hate VS low paid job that you love? watch

• View Poll Results: Well paid job that you hate VS low paid job that you love?
    Well paid job that you hate?
    40.94%
    low paid job that you love?
    59.06%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oatis)
    You're 20 at the moment.... in ten years time you might have a family, how are you going to support them on a McSalary?

Ah im thinking of more short term lol, from 20 till 24 at the most.

Besides, you can get up to 8 an hour there which is 320 a week on 40 hours

ReputationRep:
    'Well paid job that you hate' would be my preference. I don't need work to be fun; social and family life can make up for that - my sole purpose of having a job is to make as much money as humanly possible. I might hate the job, but at least when I get home at night I don't lie awake at night worrying about bills and mortgages. Ideally, you could comfortably retire at around 40 as well then live it up for the rest of your life and do something you enjoy (for me that would involve becoming a car mechanic or a vet!). Screw working until 65 when the best years of your life are long gone....

ReputationRep:
    well paid and hate

the money will make me happy, i assure ya

ReputationRep:
    Definately a well paying job that i'd hate

Luckily i'm really interested in the Legal system, and should enjoy working in the sector, which also pays well. However even if i did end up hating it, i would still do the job.

Ideally you could make enough money to retire young, move abroad, and never have to worry about the future :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    What about a job that you hate that pays next to nothing? That's what I have at the moment :p:
    Even that is stretching the bounds of optimism in the current climate :indiff:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you want to work with young children, become a nursery teacher. You'll earn 20-40K, depending on your location and level of experience. Not bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oatis)
    Not neccessarily, you can't just walk into a poorly paid job if you liked it. I'd love to be a semi-pro footballer, but I'm not good enough to be employed by the team despite the fact that I wouldn't get paid that much.
    That's a rather unique job though that actually requires more training/practise than the vast majority of jobs with better pay, even at that low a level.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'll love the job when I first start out, but that view will quickly change when I am struggling to pay the bills and put money in my wallet. So a well paying job, please. :p:

ReputationRep:
    No idea. If I'm raising a family (which I certainly intend on doing at some point) and my partner isn't bringing in a lot of money, I'd be willing to take a high paid job I didn't like as much as a lower paid job. Financial security and the like are important to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely prefer a low paid job that I love! As long as I could afford basic necessities - and perhaps provide for a family, if I ever have one - that'd suit me just fine. A well-paid job that someone happened to enjoy would give them the best of both worlds, but money really isn't everything; it's someone's happiness and sense of job satisfaction that defines them more as a person than how much they're earning.

ReputationRep:
    DEFINITELY a low paid job that I love, if I literally LOVED IT. It also depends on what you consider "low paid". Many would consider £20,000 per year poor pay, but I know I could quite comfortably live on it in my current status, considering I have nobody to care for but myself, and I'm not overly extravagant in general (a few PS3 games or Blu-Ray discs a month, once a week down the pub/cinema usually). If I HATED the job, it'd have to pay a ****load, and I wouldn't be able to stick it long, I'm sure. A job that breeds contempt would probably make me less happy in my life away from work, particularly if I hate the job because of the stresses involved, and I'd probably enjoy myself a lot less in general.

Of course, if I had a family, I'd be far more inclined to take the job I hate just to support them. Still, a job that I hate would probably just instill me with feelings of wanting to top myself or something, so I really doubt I could stick it if I hated it.

ReputationRep:
    My career will earn me approximately £11,500 when I first start out, going up to £30,000 with experience. However, it'll be something I enjoy doing. I couldn't spend my whole life waking up each morning stressed, or dreading going to work. The feeling of waking up looking forward to work is much better - particularly since I'll be working long hours.

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone on TSR consider high and low pay though? For instance how much does everyones parents make?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soapy)
    What does everyone on TSR consider high and low pay though? For instance how much does everyones parents make?
    My Mum's on minimum wage, my dad's on...meh, £9p/h or something. They're both in low-skilled/unskilled jobs. However, I'd still consider my future salary (£11,500) to be low, since despite that being with a degree, I could make more in a part-time shop job.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, what is your future job? I'm guessing something in the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soapy)
    Out of curiosity, what is your future job? I'm guessing something in the media.
    Well, obviously I have to actually get the job first, but I intend to work in Studio Camera/Technical Operation.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, I'm sure most people will just say "strike a balance". But for me, at the end of the day if the low paid job is enough to survive, then that, every time.

ReputationRep:
    Post uni I won't work for less than 25k (in today's money).

So... just over average paid job that I like, but don't love?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    my future salary (£11,500)
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for that!
    Not even if you absolutely loved your job?

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.