Turn on thread page Beta

Well paid job that you hate VS low paid job that you love? watch

• View Poll Results: Well paid job that you hate VS low paid job that you love?
    Well paid job that you hate?
    40.94%
    low paid job that you love?
    59.06%

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends what you're working 'for' if that makes sense.
    When I've finished Uni and am free to do whatever, I'd definitely say job I love with less pay, because having worked in jobs I hate I can fully appreciate how much it drags you down if you don't enjoy it.
    I hate the job I'm in now, but I've been here since April - I'm saving for Uni and I haven't found a better paid one. So purely because I'm desperately trying to save, I'm sticking with the job I hate.
    Like I said, I think it depends on circumstances. But job you love, definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Just a little question for everyone.

So I suppose for me, I would love to have a high paid job(and there are some that interest me) but then I would love to work with little children(which I have heard isnt well paid)

So my question is...Which would you go for:

Well paid job that you hate VS low paid job that you love.

Its not, if you mean in nurseries it really isn't! But I know a lot of people in that career path and they are seriously happy people! I'm a trainee teacher and I know the pay isn't all that great but I think loving the job outweighs the pay.

I figure, Im going to be spending most of my time at work. I don't want to spend it somewhere I hate. I also wouldn't want to look back at my life and regret not having a career I loved.

ReputationRep:
    a job i love for sure
    money doesn't matter as long as you can live comfortably
    and even with people saying about retiring, surley if it is a job you love you wouldn't want to retire as early ?

ReputationRep:
    How much more comfortable is life for someone on 90k than someone on 30k, i'm not so sure. My dad is on 70k, and I think we get by comfortably, but we're certainly not well off, and I don't think our standard of life is that much better than a lot of people from my college whose parents make a little less. So I think enjoying your job is more important than money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Not even if you absolutely loved your job?
    Nope.

I need enough to run my lifestyle too. Can't really do it for less than 25k when you include everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    Nope.

I need enough to run my lifestyle too. Can't really do it for less than 25k when you include everything.
    What kind of lifestyle do you need to run?

See, my dream lifestyle is a small, inner-city flat or apartment, enough cash to afford food, clothes, bills and a few treats; I'd be happy with just that.
    Guess it makes a difference if people prefer more than that though.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of lifestyle do you need to run?

See, my dream lifestyle is a small, inner-city flat or apartment, enough cash to afford food, clothes, bills and a few treats; I'd be happy with just that.
    Guess it makes a difference if people prefer more than that though.
    A small flat is fine - but I need a car, a gym membership, two foreign holidays a year, enough petrol to go kayaking every weekend, enough money for quality food etc.

ReputationRep:
    ATM I am opting for low no paid work at the moment - if I started paid work I would have to give up my volunteering, which I really don't want to do. So yeah, money can't buy you happiness - low paid & happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    A small flat is fine - but I need a car, a gym membership, two foreign holidays a year, enough petrol to go kayaking every weekend, enough money for quality food etc.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I can see why you'd need a lot more for that. :p:
    I prefer the simple life.

ReputationRep:
    Well paid. Cos then I can rake it in and retire early.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, I'm in the minority.
    What can I say, I like having stuff. It's only work and I can enjoy my free time all the better if I have lots of cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soapy)
    How much more comfortable is life for someone on 90k than someone on 30k, i'm not so sure. My dad is on 70k, and I think we get by comfortably, but we're certainly not well off, and I don't think our standard of life is that much better than a lot of people from my college whose parents make a little less. So I think enjoying your job is more important than money!
    70k a year and you're not well off? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how easy it is to love a job that pays badly. Even if you enjoy what you do, every time you get your salary you'll feel underappreciated and possibly underachieving, neither of which are going to do much for your self-esteem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soapy)
    How much more comfortable is life for someone on 90k than someone on 30k, i'm not so sure.
    I'd say roughly three times as comfortable (before taxes).

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I can see why you'd need a lot more for that. :p:
    I prefer the simple life.
    That is the simple life in my eyes. haha.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be seduced by the money, go for the well paid job, then after a while when i've earnt a bit of money and matured a little more, i'll realise actually, theres more to life than this, and that I'd probably be happier enjoying and being passionate at what I'm doing, and thats when I'll switch

when my uncle was his richest (and I mean crazy rich) was when he was his most miserable, now he's unemployed inventing something and much poorer he's his most happiest
    (but to be fair his idea of poor is different to ours, and also if you can live off your money for 5 years, even after blowing loads stupidly, you mustve been pretty well off anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Go for the love.

ReputationRep:
    Well paid, with money and good experience, you can always move on to other jobs or go down to a low paid job, but its not easy to climb the ladder and go higher later on.

ReputationRep:
    Job i love definitiely. Sure the money wouldn't ge greaaaat, but could you really be stuck somewhere you hate dayin dayout?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    70k a year and you're not well off? :eek:
    Well, compared to people from around my area we are, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think we are. By well off I mean I didn't go to a private school, and my parents won't be paying for my uni or anything. I guess we do live comfortably, but what I mean is that you could live just as comfortably if you were a teacher or something.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.