The Student Room Group

I never took my GCSEs

Is it considered bad that I never took my GCSEs and wasn't even offered the chance?

My school years were extraordinary and like no other. I never used to attend classes, never used to pay attention, I used to spend a lot of time on my own, as I never had any friends. I was able to leave school earlier than the other students and used to get paid to attend classes, but that never convinced me to do so. But, my lazy attitude ruined the rest of my life and as a consequence I never had the chance to take my GCSEs.

Now, I'm 25 and don't have a career. I have no qualifications and no experience. The best job I could get is toilet cleaner or career criminal. Is it now too late?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Never too late
You'll waste more time worrying about this situation than actually do something about it
Get yourself on a course to do your main gcses, from there you could do courses at college
If you dont feel comfortable going into that environment again you can do this all online
25 is still so young
Original post by tillyteewee
Never too late
You'll waste more time worrying about this situation than actually do something about it
Get yourself on a course to do your main gcses, from there you could do courses at college
If you dont feel comfortable going into that environment again you can do this all online
25 is still so young

25 is the age that I'm supposed to have my life sorted and planned out. I have never achieved nothing and feel ashamed. But, thank you for you reply.

P.S Do you know of any such websites and do they actually send out the GCSEs certificates or whatever?
Original post by American Gal
25 is the age that I'm supposed to have my life sorted and planned out. I have never achieved nothing and feel ashamed. But, thank you for you reply.

P.S Do you know of any such websites and do they actually send out the GCSEs certificates or whatever?

But if you dwell on what you haven't achieved is this going to achieve anything for you?
If you try hard by the age of 30 you could be in a professional job. Why not do some gcses and do an apprenticeship?
But if you dwell on what you haven't achieved is this going to achieve anything for you?
If you try hard by the age of 30 you could be in a professional job. Why not do some gcses and do an apprenticeship?

Right now, I can't attend an apprenticeship, due to having to stay home and care for my handicapped sister, while our parents are working hard to bring home money. But, I could take my GCSEs online, though I doubt it'll do any good, I'll still end up in a dead end life.
Right now, I can't attend an apprenticeship, due to having to stay home and care for my handicapped sister, while our parents are working hard to bring home money. But, I could take my GCSEs online, though I doubt it'll do any good, I'll still end up in a dead end life.

With that attitude you'll get no where you clearly want to do well now, just take the steps and do it
With that attitude you'll get no where you clearly want to do well now, just take the steps and do it

Thanks, if only I had someone like you in my life. Your words of encouragement has convinced me somewhat to try. But, my attitude has always prevented me from doing good things. My school teacher used to tell me not to be so negative.
Is it considered bad that I never took my GCSEs and wasn't even offered the chance?

My school years were extraordinary and like no other. I never used to attend classes, never used to pay attention, I used to spend a lot of time on my own, as I never had any friends. I was able to leave school earlier than the other students and used to get paid to attend classes, but that never convinced me to do so. But, my lazy attitude ruined the rest of my life and as a consequence I never had the chance to take my GCSEs.

Now, I'm 25 and don't have a career. I have no qualifications and no experience. The best job I could get is toilet cleaner or career criminal. Is it now too late?

Have you tried Open University degrees? I think I was once told that no entry requirements are needed and you still get a degree by the end of it. Don't worry about your age being an issue, your never too old!
Original post by Anonymous856
Have you tried Open University degrees? I think I was once told that no entry requirements are needed and you still get a degree by the end of it. Don't worry about your age being an issue, your never too old!

Cheers, I hope you're right. It's something definitely worth looking into. But, as I stated, I have to stay home with my sister while are parents are working and I never have any time to myself. I need an online website that offers GCSEs.
Original post by Xarao
It is too late. Also, I'm glad you're brave enough to post this thread, so that other people don't become like you.

Enjoy the rest of your life as a cleaner buddy.

I see what you're trying to do, and appreciate it. Otherwise, you're an idiot if you're being serious.
Thanks, if only I had someone like you in my life. Your words of encouragement has convinced me somewhat to try. But, my attitude has always prevented me from doing good things. My school teacher used to tell me not to be so negative.

its hard to get past a mindset, but you need to tell yourself you only didn't do too well when you were younger because you didn't try. You now want better for yourself and good for you.
There is so much out there you just need to find it. I worked with someone who did an access course with the open university so after you've done some gcses look into that. I think access courses are a way to get to proper university degrees with out doing a levels. I think

Also there must be career advisors out there do some research
Original post by Xarao
I'm being serious. You doing GCSE's won't change a thing. You chose this life and you should embrace it (don't forget to take out my trash tomorrow).

Lol, you're funny.
its hard to get past a mindset, but you need to tell yourself you only didn't do too well when you were younger because you didn't try. You now want better for yourself and good for you.
There is so much out there you just need to find it. I worked with someone who did an access course with the open university so after you've done some gcses look into that. I think access courses are a way to get to proper university degrees with out doing a levels. I think

Also there must be career advisors out there do some research

Thanks, I will try looking into it.
Original post by Xarao
Just as funny as your life :rofl:

Stop trying to make me laugh, I'm trying to be serious.
Original post by Xarao
Just like you taking your GCSE's :rofl:

Have you tried becoming a comedian? Oh wait, you actually have to be funny. Well, you could always continue on with your window cleaning job.
Stop trying to make me laugh, I'm trying to be serious.

The OU is the way to go - you can start with an access course. You need to have some time in the day to yourself. Are you a paid carer?
Original post by Muttley79
The OU is the way to go - you can start with an access course. You need to have some time in the day to yourself. Are you a paid carer?

Yes, I get paid every week, but not enough to survive on. I looked into a course just now, but it had a total of £245 pound with a £60 deposit. That is quite expensive at the moment, but I won't let that stop me.
Yes, I get paid every week, but not enough to survive on. I looked into a course just now, but it had a total of £245 pound with a £60 deposit. That is quite expensive at the moment, but I won't let that stop me.

You need to check whether you are entitled to fee reduction.
I think an Open University course would be an awesome idea for you. But you are best off doing an "Access Module" first.
never too late to start. If your attitude is stopping you then you need to change it. The advice I would give you though is to make a clear roadmap of your potential future that you would like to create. Research into potential GCSE options and then post GCSE options. Adapt this to your personal life and once this lockdown is over, get preparing! Also do not waste your time complaining but rather spend your time doing something, even it is just creating a concept of your life within the next 5 years, become motivated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending