The Student Room Group

Question about "Long Residence" and changing fee status after the course has started

I have been offered a place at Bath under an Overseas Fee Status, and I know that the university can change my fee status after I have started my course "under exceptional circumstances relating to your immigration status", and on the UKCISA site it is stated that I may be able to change my fee status for the "subsequent academic year" if I meet the criteria for the long residence category.

By May 2021, I will have lived for over half of my live continuously in the UK, for over 10 years, and I will have been ordinarily resident in the UK as well. Also, I will retain my Limited Leave to Remain status in that time. With these, I thought I will fulfil all the criteria for "Long Residence" when the time comes.

With this in mind, the UKCISA site also specifies that I must have lived for over half of my life "on the first day of the first academic year of the course". Does that mean, that since I will only have lived for over half of my life on the first day of the second academic year of the course, that I will not fall under the long residence category and thus will not be able to change my fee status midway through the course?

I would appreciate any help clearing up my confusion. Thank you.

Link for long residence criteria, on the UKCISA site: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-6082

Link for changing fee status to "Home" after the course has started, on the UKCISA site: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Home-or-Overseas-fees-the-basics#layer-3834
Changes to fee status after the start of the course are generally due to granting of ILR.
Residency categories are based on your residency at the start of the course and so wont change.

I would recommend that you call ukcisa. They will be able to talk through your residency and immigration status and advise you. I suspect that you will need to take a gap year if you hope to be classed as eligible to pay home fees
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Changes to fee status after the start of the course are generally due to granting of ILR.
Residency categories are based on your residency at the start of the course and so wont change.

I would recommend that you call ukcisa. They will be able to talk through your residency and immigration status and advise you. I suspect that you will need to take a gap year if you hope to be classed as eligible to pay home fees

I just got an email from Bath saying that if I choose deferred entry, then I will have a "Home" fee status. I will call UKCISA before I accept their offer.

Thank you.
Original post by Zaephou
I just got an email from Bath saying that if I choose deferred entry, then I will have a "Home" fee status. I will call UKCISA before I accept their offer.

Thank you.

Good luck

That’s a positive result from Bath 👍
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Good luck

That’s a positive result from Bath 👍

Bit of an urgent question, but I only realised this now. This is what Bath said in their email:

"We have now deferred your application 2021 and subsequently assessed that you will pay Home fees for 2021. Please note if you un-defer your application will be liable for International feels."

What do I do now? I went on UCAS track and saw no updates, the start date on their offer on UCAS is still Sep 2020. Do I still accept this offer, or will I be liable for international fees if I accept this offer now? If I don't accept the offer before 6 pm tomorrow does that decline my deferred application as well?

Edit: I should explain that when I applied last September, I applied for the 2020 entry, not 2021. They deferred my application yesterday after they already offered me an unconditional offer this March.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Zaephou
Bit of an urgent question, but I only realised this now. This is what Bath said in their email:

"We have now deferred your application 2021 and subsequently assessed that you will pay Home fees for 2021. Please note if you un-defer your application will be liable for International feels."

What do I do now? I went on UCAS track and saw no updates, the start date on their offer on UCAS is still Sep 2020. Do I still accept this offer, or will I be liable for international fees if I accept this offer now? If I don't accept the offer before 6 pm tomorrow does that decline my deferred application as well?

Accept the offer on Track

It's still possible to switch your replies after accepting an offer - it's likely that it is just taking a couple of days for Bath to update the details on Track (or they might be waiting until you accept - there's a few ways to make the change to year and one of the easiest is once an application is firm). But if for any reason things aren't right then you still have the option to change your mind. You have confirmation in writing that they'll amend your year of entry and fee status.

You aren't liable for ANY fees until you complete online enrolment/registration (usually in August before you start your course)
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Accept the offer on Track

It's still possible to switch your replies after accepting an offer - it's likely that it is just taking a couple of days for Bath to update the details on Track (or they might be waiting until you accept - there's a few ways to make the change to year and one of the easiest is once an application is firm). But if for any reason things aren't right then you still have the option to change your mind. You have confirmation in writing that they'll amend your year of entry and fee status.

You aren't liable for ANY fees until you complete online enrolment/registration (usually in August before you start your course)

Thank you!
I'm in the similar situation, i have applied for ILR in march and due to covid the decision time has been delayed and have been considered international student. if i accept the offer in UCAS does that mean even if i get my ILR i will still be considered international student and have to pay international fee? also if i choose my firm and insurance choices and i change my mind to not go uni will it affect me in any way?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending