Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I was turning right today at a traffic lights on a 3 lane junction. There was a cue of 3 cars turning right. The first car in the cue took a while turning so when the lights turned to red the cars in front turned right while I was caught in limbo on the green bike area at the lights. But being manchester where they like to have some sort of gatso camera every mile. There was two red light cameras either side of the road I was turning right onto.

How far across the line do you have to go to trigger these cameras, and whats the deal with the green bike thing being there?

Im just a little bit paranoid about these things now Ive realised 3 points on my lisence would be a £2000 on my insurance mistake. Doesnt help that I have to drive past 12 gatsos to and from work!

So whats the likelyhood could get done for this?

ReputationRep:
    Did you cross the line into the green cycle area after the light went red? If so, how long after?

ReputationRep:
    No I was on it waiting to turn right before the lights had changed. I expected to get through with the other cars waiting in front.

ReputationRep:
    Red light cameras are simple. They take a picture of every car before and after it passed over the white line. If the car passes over the white line on red it 'snaps you'. depending on the junction there will be between 0 - 3 seconds leeway. You have a defense if the car behind you was travelling too close to the point where you believed it would not stop in time.

From your scenario, it seems you went over the line on green, got stuck, the lights turned red and you were no longer safe to proceed. IMHO you will be fine .

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I hope... all these cameras are making me paranoid!

ReputationRep:
    Red light cameras take two photos. If it's obvious that you wern't intentionally running red lights I think you could appeal and succeed. Quite a large percentage of appeals are won, it's just no one tries too.

I went through a red light with a camera on them after i first passed and was fine, later investigation told me that the cameras, even when on red, have a second or so of tolerence.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.