Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently went into my JSA meeting a few days ago, and was provided some vacancies. I only accepted these vacancies because I wanted to look like I was prepared to widen my chances of work and therefore, not look too picky. I then asked if I was expected to apply for every one of these jobs and I was told "yes".

Now, looking back over these vacancies there seems to be only two out of the ones they've given me that I actually feel comfortable applying for. Can I refuse a vacancy they've given me clearly on the grounds that I'd prefer not to work there? A lot of the jobs require experience in some areas that I don't have. Do I have to apply for all of these jobs?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm worried that I'll be taken off JSA just on the fact that I've chosen not to apply for something I can't see myself doing. Do the Job Centre have a copy of the jobs they've given me and can tell if I've not applied for it?

ReputationRep:
    If the jobs require experience (that you don't have) then you'd probably get rejected anyway. There's no harm in applying.

As far as I'm aware they haven't brought in a solid rule that if you refuse a job you get JSA stopped. However, it won't endear you to them and could put your entitlement at risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylia)
    I recently went into my JSA meeting a few days ago, and was provided some vacancies. I only accepted these vacancies because I wanted to look like I was prepared to widen my chances of work and therefore, not look too picky. I then asked if I was expected to apply for every one of these jobs and I was told "yes".

Now, looking back over these vacancies there seems to be only two out of the ones they've given me that I actually feel comfortable applying for. Can I refuse a vacancy they've given me clearly on the grounds that I'd prefer not to work there? A lot of the jobs require experience in some areas that I don't have. Do I have to apply for all of these jobs?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm worried that I'll be taken off JSA just on the fact that I've chosen not to apply for something I can't see myself doing. Do the Job Centre have a copy of the jobs they've given me and can tell if I've not applied for it?
    From people I know's experience of Job Seekers, the best option when you have a vacancy you'd rather not do is to apply for it, go to interview then confess to them that you really dont want the job or just make it obvious you're not really into it. A lot of people recruiting for less desirable jobs will be very used to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techy)
    From people I know's experience of Job Seekers, the best option when you have a vacancy you'd rather not do is to apply for it, go to interview then confess to them that you really dont want the job or just make it obvious you're not really into it. A lot of people recruiting for less desirable jobs will be very used to this.
    or just take some smack beforehand like in trainspotting...

ReputationRep:
    you have to apply, but if you don't turn up for the interview then you are automatically declined from the job. JS don't know you didn't turn up, they'll just know that you didn't get the job.

ReputationRep:
    Why do beggars insist on being choosers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    or just take some smack beforehand like in trainspotting...
    it was speed i believe although i haven't actually seen the film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylia)

You're well within your rights to say at the JSA meeting that you can't do those jobs because of a lack of experience. They can't make you apply for a job you won't get.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.