Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I never was able to do a GCSE in a language, but I am currently planning to do a GSCE outside of school, and maybe AS, or A2 if time allows. I know there's generally no specific course requirements for languages, but are there any sorts of courses that would increase my chances? Currently, I'm considering English Language, Religious Studies and Computer. Would any of these be a problem?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well a lot of unis do actually ask that you have taken a language at AS or A level before entering into a language course, even if that course enables you to start that language from scratch. The reason for that is so the university admissions tutors can see that you have the skills required to learn a language and have proven your capability as it were. Some people just aren't language people so they need evidence that you are!

No, the subjects that you've chosen wouldn't be a problem. I'm not totally sure, but if your school/college offers something like History or Politics, it may be worthwhile choosing one of those, as at university you not only learn the languages themselves but the cultures and histories behind that language.

Also, out of interest, what language[strike] would you be thinking of doing at uni?

Hope that helps somewhat
    xx

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would do a language, maybe even 2 at AS. For all you know, you may find it really tedious and not like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I never was able to do a GCSE in a language, but I am currently planning to do a GSCE outside of school, and maybe AS, or A2 if time allows. I know there's generally no specific course requirements for languages, but are there any sorts of courses that would increase my chances? Currently, I'm considering English Language, Religious Studies and Computer. Would any of these be a problem?

Thanks.
    Doing the language is the only prerequisite (two is ideal, but as you haven't got grounding in any language I think getting two languages up to A-level standard would be a tough job!). English literature would be quite useful too, as almost all degree programmes have some element of literature study in them - I think lit would be more useful than lang, actually. The other two subjects are fine, although you could consider something like History as well as you'd no doubt study some of the country's history, culture etc at university.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all language courses ask that you have that language at A level. It's then the second language which they let you take from scratch (although I haven't seen anywhere that offers French beginners yet).

The exceptions are normally the languages which aren't typically available at school, like Mandarin, Japanese, etc.

However, even if you want to take a language which normally isn't offered at school, then universities might well ask for evidence that you're capable at languages, and so could ask for an A level language anyway.

What languages are you looking in to? If you could give us a rough idea, we could help more. And also what language are you taking for gcse?

In general, I think a good combination at A Level would probably be 2 languages, english lit and history.

ReputationRep:
    English language is a great idea. The first step to learning a forgeign language is to learn more about your own!

Degrees in modern languages can include literature, politics, history, philiosophy, linguistics (english language), art, sociology and of course the language itself, so taking any of these A levels will be useful. Don't take anything you don't enjoy though! Most universities only want the language at A level and some don't even want that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, i'm also very interested in doing a language degree. I just recieved my gcse results and a got A* in French and in Spanish. For my As levels im planning on taking french, spanish, maths and chemistry - simply because these are the subjects i like the most.

However I didn't do history at gcse, and im now wondering whether that will put me at a disadvantage when applying to unis for langauges, as i know that the history of the languages is part of language degrees. (Even though i am very interested in the history of spain and france).

Do you think that doing chem and maths is not a good idea, and should i be contemplating eng lit maybe?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it much - what you've chosen sounds fine to me - you've got two languages and two subjects which show that you're multi-talented!
    I don't think not doing history will put you at a disadvantage - the reason history has been suggested to the OP is because they haven't done a language at GCSE, whereas you have!
    I did History in the IB [having not done it at GCSE] and tbh I'm not sure it's going to give me a huge advantage when I get to uni. The only way it may have helped in my applications was that I applied for a couple of courses with European Studies/History.. so the admissions tutors could see why I would want to study that subject.
    Hope that helps somewhat - imo it's good to have a range of subjects because then it shows the admissions tutors at unis that you're good in a different variety of disciplines.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply - my mind is now at rest

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.