Turn on thread page Beta

Post your best photograph watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

Recently invested in a Canon 550D and took this when I first bought it. Quite happy with the depth of field I managed to create.

Might have a little edit in Photoshop and see how I can change the levels or something.

Sorry, I don't know how to include it within a spoiler!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rish7)
    Recently invested in a Canon 550D and took this when I first bought it. Quite happy with the depth of field I managed to create.

Might have a little edit in Photoshop and see how I can change the levels or something.

Sorry, I don't know how to include it within a spoiler!
    Good work, although the out of focus pawn at the front is quite distracting. Take it again without that and it would be a good picture I think. Do you have an off camera flash, or a lamp you could use to light the board from the side? Might give it a more dramatic effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgvince)
    May I ask how you guys get such "glossy" looking images ?, I've only just bought my dslr and my images don't look as clear or smooth as these

I'm using a d3100 18-55 if that helps !
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but trying to keep the ISO down generally makes for crisper looking photos? Most people will be using some post processing to make the images a little better too.
    Out of camera images can be a little flat so adjusting levels can help put a bit more depth in to them. Adjusting saturation and colour levels can really change the feel of a photo too.
    Otherwise, just experiment. A good camera can't do the job for you, you need to learn how to use it, which can take time and a lot of practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Good work, although the out of focus pawn at the front is quite distracting. Take it again without that and it would be a good picture I think. Do you have an off camera flash, or a lamp you could use to light the board from the side? Might give it a more dramatic effect.
    Thanks

Now that you mention it, it might make it a better photograph so I'll give it another go tomorrow morning. I have a desk lamp, I also have candles so I'll experiment with different intensities of light and get back to the thread once I've managed it.

ReputationRep:
    Geology fieldtrip to the Isle of Skye:

Recent visit to see the new pandas at Edinburgh zoo:

King's Parade, Cambridge:

ReputationRep:
    May I ask how you guys get such "glossy" looking images ?, I've only just bought my dslr and my images don't look as clear or smooth as these

Usually low ISO and also post processing for me. Duplicate the layer in photoshop/gimp/whatever and add a gaussian blur to it, then turn down the transparency so only some of it shows through. I don't always do this but that is one way, I'm not sure if that's what I did in the last one I posted on this thread but it is a way of doing so - personally I think it often takes away some of the sharpness of a photo dependent on what's in the photo.

Also playing around with curves helps =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)

:coma: awesome photos.

ReputationRep:
    More to do with the lens than the camera body.
    A kit lens won't give you much, a higher quality lens will be sharper and have better colour reproduction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    :coma: awesome photos.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Wow! Where is that? Be precise, I want to go there exactly.
    This photo doesn't even scratch the surface of it's scale or beauty. It's in Vietnam, a popular spot called Ha Long Bay and you have to go there. Go there now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Your flickr is aweeesome!
    Haha, thanks.

Got a couple more from a day in Snowdonia actually.

Spoiler:
    Show

Venedotia by Kaiser MacCleg, on Flickr

Portmeirion by Kaiser MacCleg, on Flickr

Not really sure what you mean by "glossy"? I've got the same camera and lens and in my experience it usually takes good looking images even when you just point and shoot. The first image in the above spoiler was, shamefully, taken using the auto mode (no time to set it up a shot properly - the light was shifting constantly), and though there's aspects of it I'm not entirely satisfied with (blown highlights in the sky etc), it could easily have been a lot worse. One thing you have to be mindful of is the ISO you're using - a high ISO setting will result in a noisy image, so if the scene you're trying to photograph is well lit, set your ISO as low as it will go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    Haha, thanks.

Got a couple more from a day in Snowdonia actually.

Spoiler:
    Show

Venedotia by Kaiser MacCleg, on Flickr

Portmeirion by Kaiser MacCleg, on Flickr
    Did you post process these much ? The quality is amazing

ReputationRep:
    my best pic
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Did you post process these much ? The quality is amazing
    I intensified the reds a little in the camera on the first one, but that's about it. Then I just stitched the panorama, cropped a little, and hit the upload button.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    I intensified the reds a little in the camera on the first one, but that's about it. Then I just stitched the panorama, cropped a little, and hit the upload button.
    I'm still to figure out panoramic shots :ninja: Great photos, again

ReputationRep:

How do you mean 'glossy'? Could you post some of your images to give us an idea?

Don't underestimate the power of postprocessing. I can take a drab shot into something half-decent by increasing the contrast and colour saturation, which might be what you mean by glossy, so have a play around in Photoshop (or GIMP, which is an amazing free alternative and has really nice curve settings).

Also important with DSLRS is the internal flash is often a bit crap. I get much nicer shots when I don't have it on auto setting and I use a flash-free one, so have a play around with those things and see how it goes. IIRC your camera has VR on the lens so you don't have to worry too much about shooting without flash most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)

Wow they are fantastic! I love the panda.

ReputationRep:
    xx

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, could you please like this page http://www.facebook.com/rachaelputtphotography?sk=info she's an amazing photographer, and her goal is to reach 2000 fans but she doesn't think she can do it.
    She's seriously very talented and so underrated. Please take a second to visit her page?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver0)
    hey guys, could you please like this page http://www.facebook.com/rachaelputtphotography?sk=info she's an amazing photographer, and her goal is to reach 2000 fans but she doesn't think she can do it.
    She's seriously very talented and so underrated. Please take a second to visit her page?
    She's really good!

Here's a few from over Xmas

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.